1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How do you deal with stress from your job?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Harold falcon, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

How do you deal with the stress? I just drink but that's not healthy. I sometimes go to the gym. I sometimes Boan whores. None of that really seems to help. Thoughts?

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

i find intense exercise (not just killing time at a gym) puts me in a really really good mood the rest of the day. the kind of workout where you might not break a PR but you know you made progress. Or the kind of workout where your heart is really straining to pump blood and your lung is barely keeping up and you feel like you're going to die and then when it's over you think you could hit it again

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I have developed the fine art of not giving a fuck quite well and this aids me.

1 person likes this.
  4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Done that. In fact I regularly go on hikes on the weekend that really test me. But it doesn't help.

I was once asked if I have a problem defending a person I know is guilty. "No" I say, " I don't have any problem defending the guilty. If I lose nothing happens, my client goes to jail. Peacefully, quietly, he'll enjoy it. My problem is in defending people I believe are innocent." that's what keeps me up at night.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention the drinking.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  6. EvanM

EvanM Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're a lawyer which is a different set of circumstances, but I try my best to abide by one simple rule:

When I leave work for the day, work stays at the office.
    My time outside of work is my own, and any time I spend worry about work on my own time simply isn't worth the effort to me.
    It doesn't always work out that way, but it's something I try to abide by.

That being said, intense cardio gives me a really nice high when I'm finished. I believe some people refer to it as "runner's high", and I don't believe it's something you'd normally be able to achieve through hiking unless you were running for long stretches during the hike.

Activities are simply aimed at getting your mind off of work. If you can't separate your personal and professional lives, then I would recommend giving "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey a read. It's a really good read that might result in some paradigm shifts in your life.

Here's my rhetorical question: if you truly believe that you've done all that you can for a client, would you be left with any regrets at the end of the day? How would your personal feelings of guilt or innocence sway your answer, or better yet, why should they?

1 person likes this.
  7. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

That's not intense exercise.

8. deepitm

deepitm Well-Known Member

Play a competitive sport (at a serious level if at all possible).

9. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

Good topic (and timely too). It's 4am, I'm still at work as my team has a deadline for 8am for a major client who moved the deadline up by two weeks. I pushed for three extra days but they need it monday... and we're not going to be finished in time despite several late nights and two all nighters.

The work stress is creeping into my personal life as I had to cancel all of my plans this weekend and my wife has hardly seen me in a week. The problem is they're a good client, and very profitable for the firm... I'm not looking forward to the 8am phonecall.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I knew you would mention it for me. Besides, Harvey and I see eye to eye on this point already.

11. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

yeah i meant something like high intensity inteval training. run as fast as you can for 1 minute. walk 1 minute. repeat 5 times.

12. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

Drinking helps. My boss recommended it too. Sometimes exercise helps calm me down so I don't think about work. I could try to do other things like go watch a movie but my attention span shortens if something is on my mind. Polishing shoes, ironing and brushing clothes sometimes helps.

13. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Great boss.
    Very SF.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  14. cheessus

cheessus Well-Known Member

what about a massage?

15. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

I'm never stressed at work.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  16. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

jagerbombs and an intense regimen of not giving a fuck because we're all doomed anyways

17. Svenn

Svenn Well-Known Member

Not to be overly cynical, but I find it unlikely this happens often... overcharged by dipshit prosecutors with nothing better to do? yes; but completely innocent and entirely undeserving of an encounter with the legal system? no. In other words, most of these guys would do well to spend some time in jail just to get set on the right path in life, even if they didnt specifically commit the charged crime. This is perhaps heresy to you idealistic kids out there, but it will help you OP deal with the stress at work.

18. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

lifting weights is the only thing ive found to work

19. munchausen

munchausen Well-Known Member

I smoke weed in intense amounts.

20. Wolfador

Wolfador Well-Known Member

:slayer: