1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

How do others rate Allen Edmond Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DAlighieri, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Duveen

Duveen Well-Known Member

Wanted to chime in once more.

First, JLibourel makes the point that 'a cap-toe is a cap-toe'. I am not sure that I agree with that - there are definitely differences and while they might be somewhat subtle, I would say that they are real. I do see what he means in the sense that he also said 'I wouldn't want to ruin a gorgeous pair of shoes' and when looking at maximizing value. That was the point of 10 A-Es in 'basic styles' - those are your workhorse shoes.

While I'd advocate having a couple of absolutely first-rate classics to bring out for major business occassions, I can see being satisfied with A-Es for many basic styles (again, if that is your preference - I am generally not crazy about the last shapes in any except the Park Avenue).

The point of the additional spending on discrete items (e.g. paying full price to get the shoe that you really want or that is truly distinctive) I was advocating earlier is less to get superlative basics, but rather to get the special shoes that you just love. There are plenty of styles that A-E definitely won't do as well (or at all) - maybe that's suede, Budapest last shoes, monks, or even true spectators.

I certainly understand the 'wife alert' risk of a single significant expense, but I'd argue that if you were really only buying one or two shoes for the year (having already acquired the 10 pair you need for day to day), you might be able to sneak it by somehow.

And I would certainly say that there is no way to compare A-E Broadstreets to most of the other spectators discussed on the boards - they are all one leather and the ones I have seen are black and white, with a $100 fee above the full retail (which all agree is a bit high) to get brown and white.

2. boston

boston Well-Known Member

I like AE shoes a lot. They are very comfortable, which is not something you can say for may other dress shoes.

In addition, their "clunky" styling has some features. When I wear fuller, weightier trousers (corduroy, flannel), or trousers cut more generously, I find that the clunky AE scale looks much better than my svelte little italian shoes which get lost under all that drape.

-boston

3. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "svelte little Italian shoes"? Surely not the shoes posted by RIDER of the Marteganis, Borgiolis, and Gravatis? Or even Santoni, Lattanzi, Kiton? Or were you thinking along the lines of Gucci and Artioli?

4. lisapop

lisapop Well-Known Member

Tanino Crisci
    Grayson

5. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Very much enjoying reading this thread, as it's making me seriously think about my shoe buying strategy. I agree with jcusey that the shoes I wear are for me only (I work in an environment where very few know or care about shoes), but I'm also looking to build a core wardrobe of well-made, workhorse shoes. Still hoping to build the core around Grenson's from Bennies, purchased near the AE price point. If that doesn't happen by May, I'll need to re-consider how much I can spend on the core and how many styles I really need as workhorse shoes. Based on other threads about "indispensible shoes", etc., the plan is to buy: 1. black, plain-toe bluchers (don't wear suits very often, this is the shoe style I most commonly wear) 2. brown wingtip 3. monkstrap or maybe a loafer (can I wear them with jeans?) 4. shoe for rainy, slushy weather (suggestions?) If the Grenson's don't materialize, I may need to look at AEs from the ebay store, or acquire them over time.

6. T4phage

Thinman, if you are looking for good value 'workhorse' shoes, check out Paraboot and Heschung for their dress shoes. I find their style and last shapes a lot nicer than Allen Edmonds.

7. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Thanks T4phage. I've been considering finding a website selling Paraboots, as they seem to have a good reputation on the forum for sturdy, bad-weather shoes.

8. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

I thought you hated Heschung. Or was it just the Heschung-made JL Paris shoes?

9. T4phage

(T4phage @ April 10 2005,13:48) Thinman, if you are looking for good value 'workhorse' shoes, check out Paraboot and Heschung for their dress shoes. Â I find their style and last shapes a lot nicer than Allen Edmonds.
    I thought you hated Heschung. Or was it just the Heschung-made JL Paris shoes?
    I hate the boot that I have, the one that was also sold under the John Lobb label. The "aquabuck" leather was a pain in the derrier to clean after walking thru mud and snow. The boot was supposed to be water resistant but it really wasn't. Their shoes on the other hand look relatively well made, either Goodyear or Norwegian welted, and the last shapes were quite nice.