• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I hide this fabric peeping out under my suit jacket collar?

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The jacket yoke and under collar have stretched making the top collar too short, circumference wise, around the jacket. This causes the top collar to rise up. The fix is to shorten the under collar. There is usually a center seam on the under collar but this may be a one piece under collar. If so, you just make a seam where there wasn't one. You may need to take in the center back seam of the jacket. The tailor will know if it's necessary. This makes the top collar longer and everything under the collar shorter and the collar will lie down. Pressing will fix it for 60 seconds and it will return. If the tailor just wants to cut off the under collar that is showing to hide it, don't. Proceed to another tailor.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is there a detailed list of procedures I can read to test my tailor with to ensure it's being done correctly?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he just gave it to you :D

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Okay, my mom is going to fix the collar, and call her former "master" on how to do it. I pray to God that my jacket comes out as good as can be post-op.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are other ways to make the under collar shorter like opening the under collar drawing in the yoke and shrinking it, adding a stay to keep it from stretching, putting tape on the under collar to draw it in. It doesn't matter as long as the top collar becomes bigger/longer than whats under the collar and the work done holds up so this doesn't repeat. I would dislike being tested rather then trusted by a client.

BobL

Reaction score
I think he just gave it to you
biggrin.gif

That is a pretty smart answer given to him.
rotflmao.gif

http://www.chicagorealestatedream.com/edgewater-condo/

Last edited:

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I found the following method at: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?99328-Coat-collar-lining-backing

This will shorten the under-collar; however, it doesn't change the depth of the jacket's collar. Will this procedure need to be repeated over a span of several years(since it stretched from its original position as you say)? In the same vein, is there a way the lengthen the "over-collar"?

**I did not mean test in a negative way. I just wanted to use someone else's expertise in this matter to verify that my tailor knows what she's doing in a polite manner.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm bumping this to see if others have more insight or experience with this (not that I don't trust Despos). This has happened on a few MTM coats of mine that are about 5 years old, and it is DRIVING ME CRAZY! After several failed attempts to fix the problem via pressing, I want to make 100% sure that I know how to communicate the fix to a tailor in order to stop this problem once and for all. The coats are un-wearable until this is fixed in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads