1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

how bad do these look?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cheapmutha, May 22, 2006.

1. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

Your nose knows; only when they lose stiffness; indubitably.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

not getting impatient... just intrested in the process. im more interested in making and finishing my own clothes than i am wearing jeans 6 months without washing. i also have more dark, non distressed jeans that i can wear out(vintage wranglers, scovill zipper and indigo that is darker than raw stf, is next in line). i want to know about the process of design from begining to end, and this is part of it.

Not sure what exactly you want to know, but ime, and I wear jeans really hard (for example, my jeans usually have as much abrasion and fading, just from normal wear and tear, in two or three months, as most people get in 6-8 months), I would just wear the jeans hard. I would not starch. I find that the honeycombs are very defined if you starch your jeans, yes, but that they also look fake - they generally too faded with respect to the natural fading on the thighs and butt. A good way to speed up the aging process is to wear your jeans in the rain. No wierd streaking will occur, but as they dry on your body, the creases will become more pronounced, start to fade immediately, and settle when dry. Another method to increase ageing is to wet your jeans and rub them with a wet rag while sitting down (discuessed elsewhere.)

As for actually customizing your jeans, I nearly always put extra, reinforced stitching in high stress areas (i.e. front pockets). And I'll patch the jeans, usually from the inside, by hand, as they wear out or rip, using either complementary or contrast colored thread, depending on the jeans. This usually provides some extra visual interest. A mixture of these methods, and you get something that a commercial laundry would charge upwards of $20 for, and not do as good a job, on.

3. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Well-Known Member

what i was talking about is the process of design, not wearing jeans. if i wanted to i could have worn these for another couple of months and had great wear, but i wanted to experiment with artifical distressing. im interested in making clothes. this was an experiment, which is still ongoing, to see if i could do a better job than whats out on the market.

4. denimdestroyedmylife

Why didn't you experiment on your 13WMZ's that you hate instead of your RRLs that you love?

5. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Well-Known Member

hmmm.... good question. theyre next. i still love thr rrl tho. i think they look good, especially since i faded the thighs more. i wear them every day(except today, had to wear my redlines)

granted, they would have looked better naturaly faded, but theyre just jeans. jeans that cost me less than 20$. and the denim is beautiful, even sandpapered.

6. denimdestroyedmylife

Incidentally, over the weekend I was checking out some Wranglers in the thrift store and the felled seems feel so FLAT compared to the more round-feeling felled seams of the Hawaiis----almost like cords running down the inseam.

This has nothing to do with anything.

7. Max

Max Well-Known Member

wow... great advice max. thanks, i never thought of that. when should i wash them? should i starch? are they fake?
    Yes: whenever they're dirty. No.

8. Kid609

Kid609 Well-Known Member

yeah, they look pretty bad.

9. denimdestroyedmylife