• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about Cole Haan Made in Maine shoes

starro

Reaction score

Look, Mr. Big-Balls, why don't you call them up, ask them point blank who makes shoes for them, and then hopefully get a sense of satisfaction with yourself?

Meanwhile, knowing that little tidbit of information doesn't answer a single question of whether the shoes are quality investment. BTW did you miss the part about the QUALITY in that post you linked??

starro

Reaction score
Hey what happened to this?

No need to reply. Styleforum has and ignore feature, so I won't see it.

Was that itch just gnawing and gnawing at you, until you finally succumbed to temptation?

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And? What strawman are you punching at today?

I would say it's quite clear that the shoes are made by Rancourt at this point. I don't really understand what your argument even is?
At 2-300, Rancourt is a decent option. A tad cheaper than AE (with OP's discount), with similar quality. To me, if OP likes the styling, they're a fine choice for the price.

starro

Reaction score
I'm not going to repeat anything I already wrote about in earlier posts. Suffice it to say a clear-and-shut-case that it's Rancourt has not been made. Some clues point towards it, others away from it. And even if it's Rancourt, so what? The key is to buy into quality, not into some brand name.

Ultimately, brand implies reputation implies trust. Some brands carry themselves with more integrity, so consumers can trust them more. A brand like Cole Haan, which mass produces corrected grain glue jobs in 3rd world factories while still leading customers on that they are still the quality dress shoes of yesteryear, has broken that trust. And so, in a business where someone's word is his bond, Cole Haan has richly earned the (discerning) customer's skepticism and distrust. It is right that every promotional highlight of theirs is discounted by 2/3, as they are reaping what they have sown.

Everyone can have an opinion as to quality, but I think the bottom line is, OP can definitely buy a worse shoe for the same money, but he can also buy something a heckuv a lot better--better styling, construction, and more durable--for same money.

starro

Reaction score
A tad cheaper than AE (with OP's discount), with similar quality.

How could you possibly know that? Can we answer any of the questions I posed with regards to leather, construction, materials? What we do have is pictures from their product page. Take a look at the 3rd one, and tell me to my face that quality is on par with AE.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How could you possibly know that? Can we answer any of the questions I posed with regards to leather, construction, materials? What we do have is pictures from their product page. Take a look at the 3rd one, and tell me to my face that quality is on par with AE.

Because I've handled probably two dozen pairs of Rancourt's and IMO they're pretty solid quality. For $200, it's a fine shoe. It doesn't really matter what Cole Haan has made, because they aren't making these (before the Nike takeover, some of their top line stuff was quite good). Also, AE has plenty of mediocre or worse lines, that doesn't mean they don't also make great shoes. Cole Haan is trying to reclaim some of the prestige they used to have. This is seemingly a decent start.

starro

Reaction score
At a certain point we have to agree to disagree. I've seen good reviews of rancourt, i've seen disappointing reviews. What we need to ask ourselves is, What percentage of its top quality potential is Rancourt applying to these shoes it makes for another brand, where its name is not even on the marquee? Of course, this leads down the rabbit hole of why isn't Cole Haan using the Rancourt name--if Rancourt does indeed manufacture the entirety of Made in Maines--given Rancourt has a much higher reputation. Food for thought

Also, AE has plenty of mediocre or worse lines, that doesn't mean they don't also make great shoes.

That's right, but those mediocre lines are at or below the Made in Maine price point, true? Then you'd have to compare apples to apples, and conclude the Made in Maines are no bargain.

Cj52racers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we're at least nearing closer to each other's viewpoint haha.

There could be plenty of reasons they're not using the Rancourt name on them. The first one that comes to mind is that since they're trying to rebuild their brand, they don't want consumers thinking they have to farm out to have quality shoes made. I agree with you though, that until I could see these in person I'd be skeptical. My main point was that with the OPs discount, I can make an educated guess that these are a decent buy at $200 or so.

I dont think they're a bargain, but if he likes the style, they're not a bad choice.

starro

Reaction score
I think we're at least nearing closer to each other's viewpoint haha.

There could be plenty of reasons they're not using the Rancourt name on them. The first one that comes to mind is that since they're trying to rebuild their brand, they don't want consumers thinking they have to farm out to have quality shoes made. I agree with you though, that until I could see these in person I'd be skeptical. My main point was that with the OPs discount, I can make an educated guess that these are a decent buy at $200 or so.

I dont think they're a bargain, but if he likes the style, they're not a bad choice.

Sure, why not? Let's find some common ground!

I think also, they're trying to price segment, by creating this exclusive line. Notice how heavily they lean on this "Limited time, limited numbers" crutch. At $200 they are a little overpriced. At $300, absolutely so. It appears OP holds special coupons/discounts, and not web promos open to everyone, so I would fix the price point at $300.

Be that as it may, OP could still get a much better quality shoe for same money (or just slightly more). Assuming the coupons are transferrable, and since Cole Haan is a well known name, OP could probably sell coupons for 85-90 cents on the dollar. Use that money, and 1) wait for promo events from AE quality and above, or 2) hunt for factory-seconds, ebay items etc.

So you're right, $200 for these shoes are not necessarily a bad choice, but OP could a lot better with some time, research, and ingenuity.

Last edited:

colco

Reaction score
Says the person who's entire experience with Rancourt shoes comes from the reviews he's read online. Save all the words you seem to enjoy typing by limiting yourself to where you have first hade experience. It is clear that on this topic you have none. Which has been the point all along.
Back to ignore.

starro

Reaction score
Says the person who's entire experience with Rancourt shoes comes from the reviews he's read online. Save all the words you seem to enjoy typing by limiting yourself to where you have first hade experience. It is clear that on this topic you have none. Which has been the point all along.
Back to ignore.

Dude, move on already. I know you got your ass handed to you, but that was, what?, a week, two weeks ago? Instead, you let that burn eat you up alive, until now all you are is an incoherent mess. You couldn't answer anything on the merits, and you're so pathetic you couldn't even keep your own promise to ignore this thread.

I bet I handled more shoes (and yes, some of them include Rancourts) than Xanax pills you popped.

colco

Reaction score
No promise was made to ignore the thread. Someone brought this up in the AE thread yesterday so I thought I'd share to further debunk your nonsense. You seem to the only person posting who things these shoes might be made by anyone other than Rancourt, despite COLE HAAN themselves saying so. Check out the posts I quoted and you can see that for yourself. You are on ignore. However, when you are quoted or quote someone else, I can still see what you write, it's a pity that SE can't fix that. You remind me of someone. He can't help but be dismissive and insulting. He often speaks about things he's totally unqualified to speak about.. He won't accept things even when they are widely accepted as being true by others. He can't seem to admit when he is wrong. He can't seem to ever let something go, even when it makes him look really petty. When it's brought to his attention that he has said something stupid, he deflects the conversation. He is claiming victory, everyone else knows he's the ultimate loser.

Last edited:

starro

Reaction score
Let's talk about deflection. Have you addressed any of the questions made earlier that have to do with the QUALITY of the shoe? Or instead, is all you're doing just cheerleading for a brand?

You earlier claimed the shoes are GY welted. Got anything to back that up?

A lot of people here know much more about shoes than you, they handled more pairs than you, but they don't have the childish need to brag about all the brands they got in their closet, as if that means they're wealthy or something. They don't judge a book by its covers.

He is claiming victory, everyone else knows he's the ultimate loser.

Says the one whose state was an important part in giving him the nomination. Are you just making up for some of that shame, in your friends and family, in your own voting? I bet if we go back far enough, we could find you gushing over the man's shirts and ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads