1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Houses with 'No Shoe' Rules

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RSS, Aug 25, 2011.

1. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

What's the situation in Austria, fritzl?

2. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Well - of course - if we're talking what we prefer in this regard I guess I'll declare my home to be completely no clothes allowed! :D

My home = my rules!

As for slippers, I could live with this if the guests are told in advance to bring their own. It's a bit silly in my mind - but I could live with it.

3. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Traditionally the foyer or vestibule has a floor with a more durable surface ... such as stone or tile. Usually mats are placed in these locations for the cleaning of one's shoes. Leather soles clean off rather easily. Unless one is wearing lug soles or a sneaker type shoe with those deep crevices on the bottom ... it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I have a question for those of you who provide slippers. Unless they are new for each guest, what about hygiene? I not much for wearing shoes that have been worn by others.

5. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

I was making a comparison because the thread was talking about Queen of England at that point, and GDot mentioned it may be because of social/economical difference. It was the point that money isn't all that important, it is more about upbringing.

I was never asked. Though I always did because, as the Chinese call them, "Shoe Formation" at the door. Though some only seem to switch to house slipper when you approach the stairs to the private residences.

6. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

i guess 50:50. i don't get too much invitations. people can be afraid of their booze...

seriously. the number seems correct. i have the same rules as yours and most of my peers either.

7. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

We've got a couple of pairs of machine washable slippers for guests. They go straight in the wash after they're worn, but I suppose that might not be enough for some.

BTW I never mention taking off shoes to my guests, I just take mine off and let my guests decide what to do for themselves. If they move towards removing their shoes I point them to the basket of clean slippers.

8. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

Up here in Finland any host would find it quite disgusting if a guest brought dirt, muck and whatnot inside on his soles. The only exceptions are formal house parties, marriages and burial wakes when everyone's dressed up and socks would ruin the honourable look. It's a cultural thing, really, and one I'd be intent on holding on to even when abroad.

9. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

Says the man holding the offending article for all eyes to see.

10. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

THIS seems absolutely and perfectly reasonable to me.

11. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

+1000

And if the "My House, My Rules" people don't get this by now, they aren't going to. Just to make it crystal clear, this discussion isn't about whether it is "better" to remove your shoes indoors, it is about basic notions of hospitality. I'm guessing that many of the people who cannot fathom how it would be rude to impose their own personal preferences on their guests are also the people who never return dinner-party invitations.

Wow. This is even worse than I imagined from your OP. You should have gone all Donnie Brasco on them.

I, for one, have learned a lot from this thread. From now on, I am going to bring a new pair of AE seconds around with me to use as slippers, just in case this situation ever comes up.

12. Sonny58

Sonny58 Well-Known Member

I was going to start buying all shoes in duplicate but that might be going overboard. Your idea sounds more practical.

13. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

You should share this with Vox.

14. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

:laugh:

15. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

You are more ambitious than I am. I for one, intend to stay home and drink heavily.

If anyone wishes to join me they are invited to drop by at any time. If I wish to see you I will answer the door upon your arrival. You'll know I'm not interested in seeing you if I don't.

Footwear and attire shall be entirely of your choosing. Generally speaking if you are young and hot less is better.

I'll keep a pair of gold lame slippers embellished with horrid faux gemstones by the door should you need them. They WILL NOT be cleaned from their previous use.

The guests you encounter will be highly variable - from all walks of life and of many points of view. Only people of low intelligence are forbidden to participate.

I reserve the right to fall into a coma at any given moment. At which point you are free to stay on as you wish or depart at your leisure, as long as it is before 6am, as I am still subject to the tyranny of steady employment.

Do leave all unemptied bottles behind, won't you please? As I presume you wish for your invitation to remain open ended.

:p

16. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

did not read entire thread :(

RSS the OP was hysterical btw.

so when we built our house and the carpet was brand new we planned on asking all company to leave their shoes at the door. but then when it came time we realized..........

......we were not giant douche bags so we never did. and instead we have the carpet cleaned every year and dont make people feel uncomfortable when they step into our house.

17. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

This threak is fourth most active for the past 7 days.

C'mon guys you can do better.

18. henrikc

henrikc Well-Known Member

Coming from Norway, where we take off our shoes, I have some questions regarding keeping your shoes on inside.

What do you do when you get home? Do you keep your original shoes on, or do you change to another pair?
    What about cooking? Would suck to spill tomato sauce all over a $500 pair of shoes while things are getting heated and you can't stop cooking, as it would ruin the food. What do you do in these kinds of situations?
    Also, when going to bed, what do you do? My guess would be that you put shoe trees in and placed them in the wardrobe, but what about the next morning? Do you find a fresh pair of shoes and place them right next to the bed? And how do you deal with heat and all the moisture from showering? Do you take off your shoes when using the bathroom? And would you put them on right afterwards? Do you keep a shoe horn right next to every room where you take off your shoes, e.g. bathroom et cetera?

And finally -- what do you use your hallway for? In my world that's where you keep jackets, scarves, shoes, gloves and everything you put on before going out the door.

Sorry for all the questions, can't really wrap my head around this concept. Seems to distant and weird to me.

19. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Well-Known Member

Missed this earlier question.

The serious part is about when people remove shoes in their house. I wear slippers indoors, so I take off my shoes at the door. It's not a firm division, since I wear my slippers to answer the door or check the mail. I figure that, since I'm putting on slippers at some point, I might as well put them on when I get in the door.

20. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

I had some people over to my place for dinner yesterday and as soon as they came in they took off their shoes...i told them to keep em on but they insisted. annoyed the fuck outta me. I dont wanna look at your nasty sock feet while i make dinner. fucking disgusting.