1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hotel Ritz Shipping Charge....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Oct 11, 2012.

1. soxpats

soxpats Well-Known Member

And also who gives a fuck about this visor. get her a decent gift and move on with your life.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

:cheers:

3. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

HansderHund - I just saw your message. I don't receive a notification I have a new message here and don't check these very often. I don't know I'd like an extra complication here but thanks, anyway. I ordered the visor and am satisfied (unless there's a problem with it, of course).

Just a few responses to the "Peanut Gallery" remarks: the visor represents a very special place, city, and vacation to us. Extremely special.... In fact my wife has been in two hospitals over the past two months with West Nile encephalitis - a really horrible case of it - and I'm hoping this at least brings her a little cheer on her birthday in November.... I wonder how many of you spend $100 or more on a wife's birthday present.... As for the silly comment implying this is a woman's garment, it is not at all - definitely unisex.

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Well-Known Member

You guys DO realize this is Lafont, right? Lafont of the Gucci loafers? Lafont of the TIffany keyring? Lafont of the Tiffany keyfob with Gucci loafer coating in monogrammed Tiffany silver? Please read his former threads; he's an SF classic.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

rach2jlc - 14,000 posts of wasted ink. Get a life, sonny....
    :embar:

6. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

My apologies Lafont, I thought you were a troll account. Best to you and your wife.

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

You're mistaken. Taypayer subsidies for the post office were phased out between... I believe it was 1972 and 1983... so it's been nearly 30 years since the USPS has been directly subsidized, beyond some relatively minor reimbursements for mail delivery involving the disabled, overseas voters, and I think some non-profit organizations.

Many other countries, including some where mail/package delivery is more expensive than it is in the US, do still subsidize their postal systems. Often quite heavily.

I'm not a USPS employee. And I have LOTS of criticisms of the USPS. But that having been said, having dealt with the post systems of a number of other countries, I recognize that the USPS could be far, far worse than it is.
    --
    Michael

9. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

The Private Express Statutes provided the USPS with a monopoly on certain types of letters. I am not sure if this law still prevails, but guarding USPS against competition and providing them with a monopoly obviously is just another form of government support which has a similar result as subsidies (citizens paying extra money for a product or service either directly due to prices protected from competition or indirectly via government aid). There is obviously the reason behind this to guarantee post services not only in economically interesting urban regions, but also in the tiniest village far off the track.

By the way: The pleasure of enjoying almost a decade of USPS friendliness, efficiency, competence and reliability, turned my former criticism of Deutsche Post's services into true appreciation of the DP guys.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

You are one klassy husband. Paying the big bucks Complaining about the shipping on a tacky made in China visor emblazoned with a company's logo :nodding:

11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Let's face it, whatever the reasons for the OP wanting this item, there is no point to this thread. He's moaning about shipping charges but not prepared to use a proxy for some bizarre reason. So there's nothing that can be done. It's all completely pointless and I don't know why he bothered to post here at all.

12. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

Last comment - total waste of space.
    Visor came from England. I don't know where you got the idea it was made in China but you're wrong. Another useless post. Thanks to those of you who responsibly try to answer the questions without the attempt for belly-laughs. If that is the price I must pay to get this authentic item from the right place at this particular time, when I'm not seeing a less expensive one available online (and I'd never expect to run into one in a shop), then I'm satisfied in paying it. I hope it cheers my wife up; she's had a horrible 9 1/2 weeks so far with the West Nile meningitis/ensephalitis.... Hopefully she'll be able to transfer to the skilled nursing/rehab facility today from the LTAC (Long Term Acute Care) hospital. Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  13. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this guy is trolling, as rach pointed out.

14. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

There's actually a factory in England that makes sun visors? :puzzled:
    It's like baseball caps, or plastic flags, or christmas crackers, or something. I just don't think that would even be economic to make that kind of product in the UK these days.

Did you check the tags, packaging and the visor itself?

Probably find that the PRC(China, Inc.) has a near monopoly on world sun visor production. Just like with baseball caps, plastic flags and christmas crackers.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  16. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

Do you really believe The Ritz Paris is likely to sell clothing with its logo that's made in China? Is nothing sacred?

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's exactly what they do.

The Ritz Hotel, or the third-party contractor that's running the souvenir store on their behalf, would just go straight to a B2B site like Alibaba or Global Sources, looking for the appropriate sun visors. Then just get their logo printed on them. There's literally thousands of factories all over China and SE Asia that will do custom printed visors, baseball caps, polo shirts, bath robes, towels, etc. Minimal cost, very fast turnaround usually. Then of course The Ritz can charge their baller prices for them.

I just can't envisage any company in the UK making a commodity product like sun visors or baseball caps economically enough to compete with the Chinese.

Nope.

18. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

19. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

I just fired off an email to Ritz Paris inquiring about the country or origin of their sun visor.

Staty tuned...

20. rebel222

rebel222 Well-Known Member

I believe their sun visors are hand crafted in Italy.

I have one. It has pick stitching on all the seams.

2 people like this.