1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong Shirt Makers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chiefhk, Jul 22, 2014.

1. PekingRoadHK

PekingRoadHK Well-Known Member

I prefer to go Mirador Mansion for CMT shirt making, but I need to buy Thomas Mason and other cotton fabrics someplace else. Therefore, this is not all in one place shop. If you visit AC shop, that is all in one place shop. Mirador is for local consumers to reach BaoTou and ex in house tailors from bespoke tailor shops for tailor made suits and shirts. This is benefit for consumers. A good shirt maker charges HK$300 / shirt CMT (made in HK). There are shirt makers charging different prices for different classes of workmanship, some are made in HK and some are made in Shenzhen. I think the minimum acceptable level for cotton shirt fabric is HK$80 / yard.

This is an example to pick shirt fabric in a TST fabric shop, e.g. I am 5 foot 10, average body, and I need 1.8 yard for my shirt. 400 represents HK$400 / 2 = HK$200 per yard, and I need 1.8 yard for one shirt, ie. HK$360 for my shirt fabric. TM is better than this one:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In this case, a nice cotton shirt by ex Ascot Chang shirtmaker in Mirador Mansion costs me HK$660/shirt (workmanship + fabric). I need to buy the fabric someplace else before I go Mirador. This is for CMT only. If you want to make it easy and save time, you better go AC, Graly, or Jantzen for all in one place shop.

This one tells about Mirador Mansion, 170# Best Value Tailor in Hong Kong
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/68785/best-value-tailor-in-hong-kong/165

This is good for reference for ex Ascot Chang shirtmaker in Mirador Mansion, a long term customer of Ascot Chang has said it : 4241# and 4251#
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/33568/the-hong-kong-tailors-thread/4230

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Hifilover

Hifilover Well-Known Member

Time , patience and energy cost nothing.

3. PekingRoadHK

We are consumers, we decide where to go and what to buy. All consumers have different needs and requirements. There is no single answer for everyone. We might have more fabric choice, and not limited to the selection of tailor shops. No need to shop in one place forever.

We can have a few nice fitted shirts from expensive tailor shops, and have average shirt makers to copy. Different shirts for different occasions. No need to spend a few $k each for all shirts.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  4. Hifilover

Ok. There are fabric shops in Sham Shui Shop where you can get decent cotton at hkd30 per yard . Plus shirt workshops in Sham Shui Po who can complete a day in one day. Why not Sham Shui Po but Mirador Mansion only . It is around 10 minutes from TST to Sham Shui Po . Rent in TST is around 5 times of Sham Shui Po .

5. PekingRoadHK

No need to limit to Mirador, AC, Graly, Jantzen, or whatever. No need to shop in one place forever. Yes, this is consumers' choice. There are alternatives. We decide where to go and what to buy, there is nothing wrong with it. Sham Shui Po shops usually offer Guangdong workmanship for less, which is less detail (elegant) than Shanghai workmanship. There is no single answer for everyone! When someone prefers SSP for less, that's fine. Everyone do have a choice.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  6. Hifilover

Shirt workshops in Sham Shui Po charge cmt hkd120 (usd 15) each and delivery time is one day .

Almost everything in Sham Shui Po is much cheaper Mirador Mansion . You can check price of hangers , buttons , bermberg linning because of rental cost .

7. PekingRoadHK

The lowest price in Mirador is HK$90 per shirt CMT, Guangdong workmanship. There are too many workships in Mirador, SSP, temple street, and somewhere I don't know. Have a walk everywhere in HK, HK is really a shopping center, we have many choices.

8. Hifilover

One thing about Shanghai work and Canton work is Shanghai work use Cheung Wo (sticky rice) to glue the fabric before stitching or sewing while Canton work skip it . Most HK best tailors lives in Sham Shui Po. Chan workshop is located or near Sham Shui Po .

9. PekingRoadHK

That's the choice of consumers. Who has one shirt only? I say some shirts are more elegant for more and some are less elegant for less, all from different places. There is no need to argue which ONE place to make shirts forever, we go different places to buy things. This is consumer behaviour. This is called shopping! You make all your shirts in one place forever?

10. Hifilover

Agree . Baotou from Mirador Mansion is only one of the choices . Sham Shui Po or AC are other choice .

11. PekingRoadHK

I think consumers from different age group have different definitions for fitting and comfort. For me, the ex Ascot Chang shirt maker in Mirador is not as good as the shirt BaoTou for William Cheng. This shirt BaoTou (Shanghai workmanship) for William Cheng also works in Mirador, and he charges 50% less than ex AC shirt maker.

There is no guarantee which tailor / baotou in HK best for everyone.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  12. Hifilover

Same for tailor shops as well . Some guys like one but other hates . Nobody can please everyone .

13. Hifilover

How long is the delivery time ?