1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Hondas SUCK!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by JoeWoah, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

All three of my cars have been Hondas and all three of them have had 0 problems whatsoever that weren't fixed in a standard tune up.

2. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

I say it is all a crap shoot.

To some degree I think this is the ultimate truth. I've had good luck with Honda. But surely there are other good makers. And there are bad Japanese cars too. My parents owned a Mazda in the early 80s and it was just shit. They've never bought one since. Brand dis-loyalty? Is that a word? The first Honda they bought was great and they've never had a problem with them since (after about 8 or 10 of them in the last 25 years).

But people have good experiences and bad experiences with others. I rented a Ford 500 while my Civic was getting body work done (thanks hit and run driver!). It was atrocious. Too big, I sat too high in it, it looked and felt clunky. I just didn't like it. But it ran fine for the week I had it. I also had to rent a Mazda (thanks other hit and run driver!) and it was nice. Just different so I wasn't real fond of it.

It all comes down to our tiny sampling of data and brand loyalty.

b

3. sleekblackroadster

sleekblackroadster Well-Known Member

2000 s2000 going as strong as ever here.

4. bkk

bkk Well-Known Member

As others have said, I think you just got a lemon for a Honda. Then again, I don't have any experience with Hondas newer than the mid-90s.

That being said, I'll never buy a Honda or a Toyota. Both companies only offer completely boring cars at the moment, and Toyota has been having recall issues as of late (or not mentioning them for years, then finally recalling a ton of cars at once under pressure). Honda also seems to add a premium to the price just for the name. I could buy a Civic with less horsepower and more plastic, or I could buy a Mazda3 for cheaper with a substantial increase in power and much better design. The S2000 new is way overpriced. I'd rather deal with the higher cost of maintenance on a German car in that price range. Its also nice to have torque before 7k.

If you're going to go Jap, go with Nissan or Mazda. If not, go German (BMW) if you're willing to deal with the necessary maintenance schedule and the much higher repair costs. My Bimmer is currently in the shop (someone was nice enough to leave lumber on the Capitol Beltway... ouch), and I've had the displeasure of having a Camry as a rental. I'm paying each day just to have a waterbed suspension. Shoot me!!

5. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Well-Known Member

The new Camry V6 had transmission problems too when the bodystyle changed (6 sp auto).

I have a 08 G35 sedan and that 5 speed auto trans has been used since the 2002 Q45 (which had a V8). That trans has been more or less bulletproof.

The '09 G37 has a new 7 speed auto transmission which isn't proven in the marketplace... so you may be taking a risk there. But if you plan to keep the car forever an extended warranty to 7 yr/100K should be $1200-1500 (don't pay more).

You might want to see if any '08 G35s are left? Huge discounts right now!

6. upstarter

upstarter Well-Known Member

I also have a S55 Mercedes that I ABSOLUTELY HATE!

Out of curiosity, why do you hate it so much?

7. bkk

bkk Well-Known Member

You might want to see if any '08 G35s are left? Huge discounts right now!

My 2 cents about the G35 coupe:
    Beautiful exterior
    Interior, especially the center console, looks terrible
    Sub par performance for a sporty coupe, especially at 300HP

My wife and I test drove a couple G35s since she was in love with them. After being highly disappointed, especially for the price tag, we were blown away by the Altima coupe on an apples to apples comparison level. She went ahead and got a fully loaded Altima coupe for cheaper than a user G35 couple with very few options. Its sad when the interior of your "lower end" brand has better materials and fit n' finish compared to your "premium" brand. This is not the case with all Infinitis as the M series is a pleasure to drive.

8. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Well-Known Member

I knew it would not take long before the American Sucks thing started. Honda's are good cars. GM also makes good cars (yes I am in Detroit but not a part of the auto biz). The perception is they suck. All the manufacturers have some good and bad. I have a Cadillac that I love! I also have a S55 Mercedes that I ABSOLUTELY HATE! You just got one of the bad ones. One shitty apple should not ruin the whole bushel.
    It was inevitable, you have to expect that many choose to ignore facts, and prefer to base opinions and false perception.

9. Southern-Nupe

You can buy a plain Jane (under $25K) Honda model and easily dial 200 grand on hit.
    How many front-wheel-drive American-engineered vehicles can touch that ?

Um....half of the old Buicks and Taurus's on the road are capable of this. If a car has a decent reliability rating, and is properly taken care of....200k is really no big feat these days.

10. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Well-Known Member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    My 2 cents about the G35 coupe: Beautiful exterior Interior, especially the center console, looks terrible Sub par performance for a sporty coupe, especially at 300HP My wife and I test drove a couple G35s since she was in love with them. After being highly disappointed, especially for the price tag, we were blown away by the Altima coupe on an apples to apples comparison level. She went ahead and got a fully loaded Altima coupe for cheaper than a user G35 couple with very few options. Its sad when the interior of your "lower end" brand has better materials and fit n' finish compared to your "premium" brand. This is not the case with all Infinitis as the M series is a pleasure to drive.
    The '08's or the older G37? The Last Gen G35 was crap. The coupe was nice, but the interior seemed jerry-rigged with features the car was not meant to have. Performance-wise, it was 330HP and can outperform and outhandle a BMW 335i for $10K less (@ MSRP).
    Um....half of the old Buicks and Taurus's on the road are capable of this. If a car has a decent reliability rating, and is properly taken care of....200k is really no big feat these days.
    True, though I'd never tell anyone to buy a Taurus unless with was a SHO (sweet cheap beater!). As I said before, if it's American with a V8, you are golden. If something breaks, it's cheap and easy to fix.

11. Southern-Nupe

True, though I'd never tell anyone to buy a Taurus unless with was a SHO (sweet cheap beater!). As I said before, if it's American with a V8, you are golden. If something breaks, it's cheap and easy to fix.
    lol......I agree, (I did like the SHO too, especially the 1st 2 generations).

Crazy as it may seem, the new 2010 design looks quite nice, and there were rumors flying about utilizing Fords new twin-turbo 6 (350hp). Unfortunately, both you and I know, Ford will find a way to screw this up, especially given their current financial state.

As good as the new Taurus may look, the name alone conjurs thoughts of rental fleets and grandparents.

12. Southern-Nupe

My 2 cents about the G35 coupe:
    Beautiful exterior
    Interior, especially the center console, looks terrible
    Sub par performance for a sporty coupe, especially at 300HP

My wife and I test drove a couple G35s since she was in love with them. After being highly disappointed, especially for the price tag, we were blown away by the Altima coupe on an apples to apples comparison level. She went ahead and got a fully loaded Altima coupe for cheaper than a user G35 couple with very few options. Its sad when the interior of your "lower end" brand has better materials and fit n' finish compared to your "premium" brand. This is not the case with all Infinitis as the M series is a pleasure to drive.

I think the new Altima coupe looks quite sharp, but can a sedan based front-wheel drive auto, really outperform a rear-wheel drive coupe built on a sportscar chassis.

Regardless, it's still a pretty cool looking car.

13. Christofuh

Christofuh Well-Known Member

Which leads me to conclude that: A. You've never owned a Taurus B. You've never driven a Buick [​IMG]

14. Southern-Nupe

Which leads me to conclude that: A. You've never owned a Taurus B. You've never driven a Buick [​IMG]
    lol.....the only more recent Buicks allowed in my driveway are: GNX's, Reatta's, and possibly the Enclave.

15. JoeWoah

lol......I agree, (I did like the SHO too, especially the 1st 2 generations). Crazy as it may seem, the new 2010 design looks quite nice, and there were rumors flying about utilizing Fords new twin-turbo 6 (350hp). Unfortunately, both you and I know, Ford will find a way to screw this up, especially given their current financial state. As good as the new Taurus may look, the name alone conjurs thoughts of rental fleets and grandparents.
    Ford produces some of the best cars in Europe, their biggest screw-up was not bringing them here which they seem to finally be doing now. 8 years ago Ford said that it wouldn't be finished retooling their plants to make the European models here until 2010. I'm glad they decided to stick with the plan. IMO, they'll be in a better position than GM and Chrysler when the market picks up again. Still, they ruined the Taurus nameplate. I think they should call it the Falcon/Torino (for a coupe version). Play on the vintage appeal. The best deal in American cars right now has to be the Cadillac CTS-V. It's only $29,000 and has a 556 horsepower 6.2 supercharged V8 under its hood and goes from zero to 60 in 3.9 seconds. *GRUNT* http://www.king-mag.com/online/?p=10422 [​IMG]

16. Southern-Nupe

Ford produces some of the best cars in Europe, their biggest screw-up was not bringing them here which they seem to finally be doing now. 8 years ago Ford said that it wouldn't be finished retooling their plants to make the European models here until 2010. I'm glad they decided to stick with the plan. IMO, they'll be in a better position than GM and Chrysler when the market picks up again.

The best deal in American cars right now has to be the Cadillac CTS-V. It's only $29,000 and has a 556 horsepower 6.2 supercharged V8 under its hood and goes from zero to 60 in 3.9 seconds. *

Don't get me started on the Euro Fords....especially the Euro spec Focus. I've still yet to understand fully, why they don't consider selling some of their Euro cars in the States. I understand it didn't go well during the Merkur experimentation, but times have changed, and consumers are actually considering smaller effiecient autos these days.

The CTS-V is priced considerably higher than the 29k mark, but I agree about the car being insane. Even the interior is somewhat comparable to the competition (especially when optioned with the Recaro racing seats).

17. the.chikor

the.chikor Well-Known Member

That being said, I'll never buy a Honda or a Toyota. Both companies only offer completely boring cars at the moment, and Toyota has been having recall issues as of late (or not mentioning them for years, then finally recalling a ton of cars at once under pressure).

Amen to that. Toyota had tons of recalls on the Celica and when my GF brought it in-they never would fix the recall problems-too damned expensive for them. I have had a few friends with newer Honda problems-which was unheard of in the 1980s-when they weren't too sexy, but were very reliable. Now, they have captured the market share, increased their price and cut quality. Are they still good-I think so, but no comparison to the 1980s and 1990s.

The same can be said for American cars-today I think they are for the most part as reliable as anything out there, but back in the day-indestructable. My dad sold his 65 Riviera when it had 380K miles on it-it burned oil, but as reliable as can be-carberator and all-go figure? Does anyone remember the Mercedes commercials in the early 1980s with the 300 SL I think it was-owners all over the US would say how many mile they had on their Mercedes-one guy in Nevada had 500 Thousand miles on his car-I dont think that you will ever see that again.

18. JoeWoah

Don't get me started on the Euro Fords....especially the Euro spec Focus. I've still yet to understand fully, why they don't consider selling some of their Euro cars in the States. I understand it didn't go well during the Merkur experimentation, but times have changed, and consumers are actually considering smaller effiecient autos these days.

The CTS-V is priced considerably higher than the 29k mark, but I agree about the car being insane. Even the interior is somewhat comparable to the competition (especially when optioned with the Recaro racing seats).

I thought that price seemed too low. I just took it from the article though. But, since they're not exactly selling out of anything at Cadillac, a steep discount might be possible. I doubt you'll pay what the old CTS-V cost.

Ford has been selling Euro-spec models in the US from some time now, but it's been a crap shoot because the factories weren't tooled for them here yet and it would cost too much to import. Regardless, I think importing would have been better than losing money and market share.

The Euro-Focus, for instance, is the Mazda3 here (priced higher than the US Focus). The Mondeo is the 6. The Ford 500 is made mostly out of Volvo parts with a Ford V6. It's just really big, slow and ugly. I hate that retarded "razor" grill.

Ford also needs a modern sports car. My T-Bird and the Mustangs of the late 90's (the Cobra's anyway) had independent rear suspensions. Why the hell are the newer Mustangs less sophisticated? It's senseless! At the very least bring back the SVT line!

It it sells well at Ford (SVT, T-birds, SHO, etc...) you know Ford will fuck it up!

Completely off the topic, why do we not have high-performance diesel in the States? Watching Top Gear, they tested a Ford-built Jaguar S-Type with a 350HP twin-turbo V6 with all the fixings that managed 72MPG and they weren't driving it conservatively and had the AC blowing.

19. Southern-Nupe

I thought that price seemed too low. I just took it from the article though. But, since they're not exactly selling out of anything at Cadillac, a steep discount might be possible. I doubt you'll pay what the old CTS-V cost.

Ford has been selling Euro-spec models in the US from some time now, but it's been a crap shoot because the factories weren't tooled for them here yet and it would cost too much to import. Regardless, I think importing would have been better than losing money and market share.

The Euro-Focus, for instance, is the Mazda3 here (priced higher than the US Focus). The Mondeo is the 6. The Ford 500 is made mostly out of Volvo parts with a Ford V6. It's just really big, slow and ugly. I hate that retarded "razor" grill.

Ford also needs a modern sports car. My T-Bird and the Mustangs of the late 90's (the Cobra's anyway) had independent rear suspensions. Why the hell are the newer Mustangs less sophisticated? It's senseless! At the very least bring back the SVT line!

It it sells well at Ford (SVT, T-birds, SHO, etc...) you know Ford will fuck it up!

Completely off the topic, why do we not have high-performance diesel in the States? Watching Top Gear, they tested a Ford-built Jaguar S-Type with a 350HP twin-turbo V6 with all the fixings that managed 72MPG and they weren't driving it conservatively and had the AC blowing.

I have never heard of this, I know Ford did develop a diesel engined Euro Fiesta capable Hybrid busting mileage, however I've never heard of one capable of putting such high amounts of power, with very little consumption.

Of course you are correct about Ford's branding of their Euro cars, however why couldn't the US focus look anything like what's available across the pond. I'll admit, a high performance Focus is not really needed in the States, but I still find this car to be insane....if ignoring the color combo.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/04/o...ford-focus-rs/

20. JoeWoah

I have never heard of this, I know Ford did develop a diesel engined Euro Fiesta capable Hybrid busting mileage, however I've never heard of one capable of putting such high amounts of power, with very little consumption.

Of course you are correct about Ford's branding of their Euro cars, however why couldn't the US focus look anything like what's available across the pond. I'll admit, a high performance Focus is not really needed in the States, but I still find this car to be insane....if ignoring the color combo.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/04/o...ford-focus-rs/

Check out some Top Gear episodes on eztv.it or thepiratebay.org. You can download the torrents there.

The SVT Focus sold pretty well, as did the SVT Contour and the Neon SR/T. They were low-priced decent handling cars (the Neon was a WRX fighter). The problem was that they didn't have enough street cred yet and Ford/Dodge killed them off before they could develop a following. The SHO wasn't a hit right away and was picking up a lot of cred when they killed it.

I'd like to think an RS would do well here, especially with the kid-racer types. There aren't a lot of performance cars gunning at the $15-$20k price point other then the Si (which might be priced out a bit).