• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are the man! Everything you wanted to know about smoking sausage?
eh.gif
Ask Pio!
laugh.gif

I played around w/ a smoker about 10 years ago (cool water? - nothing fancy) - never got past some basic fish experiments. You are an inspiration!

shasta

Reaction score
I made 50 lbs. of spicy italian sausage with my father in law a couple weeks ago - it was about 9 hours of work but the finished product is outstanding.

nobody beats my meat.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
You are the man! Everything you wanted to know about smoking sausage?
eh.gif
Ask Pio!
laugh.gif

I played around w/ a smoker about 10 years ago (cool water? - nothing fancy) - never got past some basic fish experiments. You are an inspiration!

laugh.gif

Thanks. I never thought this thread would generate so much interest and am rather tickled pink by this.

Summer sausage this weekend. Doing the initial grind on Friday as it has to sit in the fridge and cure for two days.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, where are you getting these recipes from? I assume various cookbooks and then you go out and get the ingredients and make these salivating sausages.

You keep posting more of these pics and you're going to end up convincing me to take up this hobby as well.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Charcuterie is The Bible but there are other, more rustical, less explanatory books out there.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif

Thanks. I never thought this thread would generate so much interest and am rather tickled pink by this.

this really is cool, isn't it? much more fun than egullet or any of those others. if it's ok with pio, i'm going to forward a link of this thread to michael ruhlman. he'll get a kick out of knowing someone is actually cooking out of that book.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
this really is cool, isn't it? much more fun than egullet or any of those others. if it's ok with pio, i'm going to forward a link of this thread to michael ruhlman. he'll get a kick out of knowing someone is actually cooking out of that book.

I think he might've figured it out when he got a royalty check for $3.00.
tongue.gif

Books with them hard-ta-pernounce fancy werds don't sell well in Johnsonville.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I think he might've figured it out when he got a royalty check for $3.00.
tongue.gif

Books with them hard-ta-pernounce fancy werds don't sell well in Johnsonville.

i think it's a pretty safe assumption that this was not a book Michael did as part of a get-rich-quick scheme. but it is a great book and it has attracted a really passionate following from the meaty boys.

Kaga

Reaction score
Pio-san:

If my memory serves me correctly, you have become adept at stuffing your own sausage as well as smoking the sausages of others. Bravo!

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Charcuterie is The Bible but there are other, more rustical, less explanatory books out there.

*******, I'm going to give you a homework assignment Kyle. We will use Charcuterie as number one, but you are to give me 5 cookbooks to buy. Pick them out based on what you would personally get and cook from yourself. Whether it be Keller, etc. As you know, I'm pretty much a badass at everything (
teacha.gif
) so choose from a more simplistic approach to more complex recipes at will.

I already have a few sushi cookbooks that haven't been used when I came to the realization that I have a rather expansive palette when it comes to sushi and like to try many things each meal, so it's best to just go to the sushi bars instead of having to buy a smorgasbord of sea creatures. I think I have a book called "How to Cook Everything" or something along those lines as well.

Oh, and you never gave me your opinion based on the pics I posted on FB of the appetizer recipes you gave me for Christmas (they were a big hit).

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
French Laundry Cookbook
Charcuterie
Alinea (more for food Appreciation and flavor ideas than at home cooking recipes)
Larousse Gastronomique
The Complete Robuchon

These are all books I reach for on a continued basis. For ideas, inspiration, questions, everything.

The food looked good dude. I'm glad it turned out so well.

Edit: Another book you absolutely MUST have, just to understand kitchen science and the way food works, is On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. Guy is an absolute genius. Any question you might have he will answer in two ways, one very straightforward and simple to understand, and another way that gets down to the molecular level so you really become smurterer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Out of curiosity, where are you getting these recipes from? I assume various cookbooks and then you go out and get the ingredients and make these salivating sausages.

You keep posting more of these pics and you're going to end up convincing me to take up this hobby as well.

Originally Posted by foodguy

What Kyle said. I got that book and it has cost me a lot of money! $600 for my current smoker, about $350 in sausage making equipment, and now another $300 for a smoker that is tailored just for smoking sausage. Oh, and have a La Crueset terrine on order. This book has really educated me and I am greatly enjoying the whole process. This weekend will be summer sausage and next will be my first attempt at pate.

After you get basic theory/technique down, there's the huge book by Rytek Kutas, but as Kyle said, must less in the way of walking you through and much more a pile of recipes.

Foodguy, I'd love you to forward this thread to Ruhlman. His book has really changed my view of charcuterie, educated me, and obviously has me involved in the process.

cheers.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Ruhlman is awesome. Every book he writes, or even has a part in writing, I really enjoy. I own most of them. His "...Of a Chef" series is one of the things that took me from loving food and cooking to wanting to be a professional.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French Laundry Cookbook
Charcuterie
Alinea (more for food Appreciation and flavor ideas than at home cooking recipes)
Larousse Gastronomique
The Complete Robuchon

These are all books I reach for on a continued basis. For ideas, inspiration, questions, everything.

The food looked good dude. I'm glad it turned out so well.

Edit: Another book you absolutely MUST have, just to understand kitchen science and the way food works, is On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. Guy is an absolute genius. Any question you might have he will answer in two ways, one very straightforward and simple to understand, and another way that gets down to the molecular level so you really become smurterer.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
What Kyle said. I got that book and it has cost me a lot of money! $600 for my current smoker, about $350 in sausage making equipment, and now another $300 for a smoker that is tailored just for smoking sausage. Oh, and have a La Crueset terrine on order. This book has really educated me and I am greatly enjoying the whole process. This weekend will be summer sausage and next will be my first attempt at pate.

After you get basic theory/technique down, there's the huge book by Rytek Kutas, but as Kyle said, must less in the way of walking you through and much more a pile of recipes.

Foodguy, I'd love you to forward this thread to Ruhlman. His book has really changed my view of charcuterie, educated me, and obviously has me involved in the process.

cheers.gif

Thanks guys.
cheers.gif

Kyle, I've got all those books written down and will be making an Amazon purchase tonight if I have time or when I get back from a vacation next week. I can't wait to dive in and become smurterer. Oh Pio, this book may end up having the same fate on me...time will tell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 66 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 31 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads