• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

guccihomme

Reaction score
Last edited:

guccihomme

Reaction score

I think you look much better in browns and warm earth tones.
I think everything would look ten times better if a few pounds were shed. You have good style and something so small would make a big impact. It's as small as walking an hour a day for a month.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cashmere and cashmere

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pocket square was to bring out the little bit of red in the tie - not hugely obviously from this photo but more so in this one: http://cdn.styleforum.net/6/6e/6e2548e6_Ff1IEEF.jpeg

Ah, I see that now. And seeing that the shirt has a little bit of a check makes me like it even better. I'll often do both a full-length and a close-up like that one in the first post, to make sure details like that come through.

jfrater

Reaction score

Ah, I see that now. And seeing that the shirt has a little bit of a check makes me like it even better. I'll often do both a full-length and a close-up like that one in the first post, to make sure details like that come through.

Thanks for the tip - I'll try to do two pics per post in future :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitchy was an SF giant. Then he lost some weight.

Ayo!

But Cox is right. A lot of folks, when they post a bad fit, are just ignored. YRR and Pliny are just trying to help. Consider going to the WAYWRN Composite Thread (a compilation of fits receiving over twenty thumbs). Start from the beginning and work your way through.
Anyway, welcome.

Not only was he right, I was starting to get mad that no one pointed it out. Thanks for the frank, and very truthful, post, Cox.

jfrater

Reaction score

@jfrater
 , @Pliny
  and @YRR92
 are certainly not letting you off lightly. But their comments are indeed on point, and it's worth noting that on this board, if you were a dick posting garbage fits, people wouldn't even bother offering advice.

Your most recent fit would certainly pass muster for most observers, but this isn't most observers - this is StyleForum. It's a hard school. Like studying violin at Moscow Conservatorium - you turn up thinking your Tchaikovsky concerto is pretty damn good, and guess what? Actually, it sucks. And really, at that point, you have no choice but to just absorb what people are telling you and set yourself to the task of improving, fast.

The first fits I posted here were really atrocious and I was quite taken aback by the dissing they got. Hey - I'm here to learn and improve. I got on with the job and these days, in between my stinkers, I occasionally manage to score 20+ thumbs for my fits. I've had a lot of fun getting to this point and I plan to continue improving, although I doubt I'll ever reach the dizzy heights of some of the real SF giants. (You'll work out who they are soon enough, if you haven't already.)

I notice you've actually been registered on SF since 2005. Been lurking all this time? What, may I ask, renewed your interest in posting?

Thanks for the well thought out comment. I definitely do hope I get more comments in future and I will consider them all to be constructive. I have started looking over the composite posts to get some more ideas.

I registered in 2005 because I had a big event on national TV that required me to wear white tie (performing three arias with the NZ Symphony Orchestra). I used the site to get info on how to do white tie correctly. After that I moved to the UK and life took over. I am back in NZ now and prepping my wardrobe for a return to Europe this year.

This was my white tie ensemble after getting lots of tips from here: http://image.qpicture.com/image/j/artist-jamie-frater/jamie-frater-30387.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads