1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

In guessing that picture is taken right out of the new Kansas high school books on science and history, right?

15 people like this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

No, but this was...

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  3. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

lulz.

4. Caustic Man

I've always wondered if other countries deal with their own culture and history in as Kitschy a way as we do in America these days. I've never noticed my friends from other countries depicting THEIR iconic leaders riding dinosaurs, but I suppose it could be happening.

5. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

Yo the last few posts have been quality

@pingson and caustic the real mvp

Lulz

2 people like this.
  6. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

AS, what you actually wore was ok, but that fit with the pink OCBD, no tie, and the cardi was pure win.

Anden, that is great. Kind of rumply, very comfy and natural looking. Love it

1 person likes this.
  9. Anden

Anden Well-Known Member

Cheers Buddy. It sure is comfortable. Will be worn a lot.

10. Caustic Man

Confession time. I have been having to recycle jackets and trousers the last few weeks and wear them more often than I otherwise would. I lost about 10 lbs and I have been rotating stuff to the tailor. Anyway, today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  11. MrChris

MrChris Well-Known Member

Thanks, our friends and fellow posters at Shibumi Berlin.

1 person likes this.
  12. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

So funny, but also so scarily possible.

1 person likes this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Congrats on the weight loss, CM.

4 people like this.
  14. Caustic Man

This has been an interesting discussion in historical circles lately. Not necessarily concerning right wing Christians, but with political groups. You may have heard about some attempts to dictate what historians teach about U.S. history in terms of making it more patriotic. The thing is that these things usually create a lot of buzz because they are controversial, but nothing ever comes of them. Coincidentally enough, I am working on some documents from the Scopes trial for a project right now. Back then the threat was more real indeed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  15. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

I hate the idea of politics interfering with education at all, but my concern is much more about politics interfering with science education, and the threat is real. Texas school boards have such great buying power that they can sway book publishers that supply books to other school districts, but beyond that direct impact is the indirect social impact of making scientific fact the subject of debate and opinion (often by those with no standing or credibility, I should add).

3 people like this.
  16. Caustic Man

I'm going to tell you something that not everyone agrees with, but I think there is a strong case for it. Education IS politics. It is a way of indoctrinating the young into society. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it will always come with some baggage. The idea that education is a beacon of free thought is, unfortunately, never true as far as I've known it. Now, science education is extremely important. I am a rationalist, humanist, and I love science very much. However, in the course of my work in the field of history I have come to believe that historical understanding is possibly more obscured in society today (in all countries), and it is at least as important as an understanding of science. I was appalled when someone said to me last week that "History is just a bunch of victors writing about their victories". Not only is that not true, it has never been true. This wasn't a dumb person, mind you. This person had a great love of science and social justice, etc. but had absolutely no understanding of history. I agree with your assessment about the dangerous affects of political interference in academic research, but I think I slightly disagree with your implied alternative.

1 person likes this.
  17. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

Well, as a scientist I would like to believe that some truths transcends politics, but then maybe I'm just naïve......

2 people like this.
  18. Caustic Man

I agree that there are many truths indeed, that transcend politics. However it's not whether or not truths are taught, it's HOW they are taught that is just as important. Whether we like it or not, you can't escape the human element of interpretation, even in science.

19. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

My sister is a professor of history and anthropology and my wife is a professor of education and an art history scholar, so I anticipated that my bias towards science would not go unnoticed.I think we agree on far more than we disagree.

What I would like to see is the US be less partisan and more objective. Why teach kids that their forebears were more just, and justified in their actions, than they really were? Equally, why teach kids that our climate isnt changing, or that we bear no responsibility for those changes? Worse, though, is that we encourage debate without facts and without logic. Ad hominem attacks, argument from incredulity or ignorance, etc. are all encouraged, which is amazing to me given the liberal arts-based philosophy of the US education system (where grammar, logic, and rhetoric - the basis of argument, are supposed to be paramount).

20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Ooh, a pedagogical discussion in the WAYWRN thread. I just taught a seventy-five minute class. I talked for about seventy two of those minutes. I might've bored them to tears but as god as my witness one of these days I'm finally going to convince undergrads that biblical typology is really important to understand. Come to think of it, I'm going to give it a try in my next class, which starts in twenty minutes.

1 person likes this.