1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Huh. Okay. I've never heard of such a dress code. It's not like "Sportsjacket, but no tie" or "biz cas - suit allowed, but no tie?" "Suit, no tie." seems to be a dresscode designed for club promotors circa 2000 (Mine was usually charcoal, out of that Prada stretch fabric that was popular from the late 90s! Also, an OG dark taupe moleskin Helmut Lang number that was on sale at Fred Herman Ron Segal!)

2 people like this.
  2. LA Guy

I think that zeitgeist is that more and more men are "thoughtfully dressed," rather than "better dressed" in a CM way. Phat Guido took his casualwear just as much to heart as his suits and ties. I haven't read the GNAT thread but the suit + no tie dresscodes seems like a mutant to me. It can still be cone well, but it does require an additional level of expertise.

One look that I think is really cool, done right, is the popover shirt under a casual suit. More perilous, but pretty awesome when done right, is a knit polo under a suit. I;ve also seen a subtly patterned shirt under a POW suit, which can look spectacular. And I am sure that you can find the right suits from brands like Eidos and Boglioli. Of course, the problem with these, worn sans tie, is that one misstep, and you look like you should be promoting two-for-one jello shots.

Some designers do a great U or V neck tee under a suit, but I doubt that that is what whoever designed this dress code had in mind.

3. spectre

spectre Well-Known Member

I like turtleneck or roll neck under a suit a la Ralph Lauren. I have a heavy PoW flannel suit which I sometimes wear with a black roll neck. Polos I prefer more with an odd jacket than a suit, although maybe they're ok with something like linen in summer with loafers.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

If the code is as I have interpreted MF's to be, I suspect the rationale is that they want to look "professional" but they think that the tie would make them look "stuffy" to the customers. To which I say:

:facepalm:

4 people like this.
  5. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

This suit was my father's, dates probably from the late 60s. The fabric is very heavy compared with that of modern suits. But it holds its shape incredibly well. Could almost be a new suit, but for some tell-tale wear and tear around the trouser pockets.

1 person likes this.
  7. LA Guy

Very Bullitt of you. I was also thinking of something more summery for the polo and the popover. The washed wool suits by Boglioli go well over lighter to mid-weight knits. I have a Piombo heavy fleck wool number that actually looks out of place without a pretty beefy shirt, and that would definitely work for the "no tie looks as well.".

I think that the most obvious way to go is to use textures, whether summer or winter, since you can't rely on one of your key accessories.

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

That is one suck ass dress code.

3 people like this.
  9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

This. I work on sales and for every first meeting I wear a tie. I remember someone once told me that whenever you were going yo sell something, wear a tie.

10. LA Guy

It really depends on what you are trying to sell, and to whom. If I am at a tech firm, and someone approaches me wearing a standard business suit and tie, whether it's NYC or SF, I immediately think that it's an IP or contract lawyer, and that I'm going to have to discuss the minutiae of a contract or something equally unpleasant.

But yes, the dresscode is stupid.

1 person likes this.
  11. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

It's better to overdress than underdress IMO in many situations.

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

It's in the financial advisement, help them to reach their goals. :D

I do take into account where my client work cause if it is in IT but he's a tech guy a tie will not work so I go a bit more casual, maybe no jacket and no tie. But if it's with the CEO or CFO or something like that I do wear a tie but no suit. Jacket and trouser combo. :D

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

You're right on the tint. The Formosa project has the same jacket options. Glad to hear you wear them as separates a lot, that's what I have planned.

14. spectre

Perhaps an interesting pocket square if you can't wear a tie?

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

My entry to the loud tie contest:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 people like this.
  16. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

^^ crazy tie but I like it!

17. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Having a bit of fun for the FC...

The only loud tie I have, I'm definitely in the soporific camp. Trying a bit of a mashup between @Holdfast and @Southern Style [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Cleav , I'm a bit late to the party, but congratulations mate!!!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    23 people like this.
  18. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

For work and for wearing without a tie.

19. spectre

You cheated and borrowed that tie didn't you Gerry?

20. spectre

This is utterly ridiculous. I suggest a career change.