1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Roy Al

Roy Al Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  2. muddy250

muddy250 Well-Known Member

Love that jacket, mind if I ask where it came from or is it bespoke?

3. Roy Al

Roy Al Well-Known Member

Thank you muddy250.

It's a MTM (Private tailoring) from Gieves & Hawkes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. mcobinad

mcobinad Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Capelli ties make some interesting knots ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Ladies who post pictures of what they are wearing sometimes indulge in a bit of "Wall Scouting" and take pictures of themselves in front of something interesting, seasonal, or related to what they are wearing.

For some reason, gentlemen who post pictures of what they are wearing often take pictures in their house.

Here's today's adventure in "Wall Scouting".

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers jacket and pink OCBD shirt, Polo Ralph Lauren tie, Squarextraordinaire pocket square, Orvis corduroy trousers, Gold Toe argyle socks, and Allen-Edmonds brogue suede Strands.

Close up of the shoes and trousers.

[​IMG]

The trousers are what Orvis calls "Wellington Super Cords".

Recently, there was a link in another online group to an article in "Country Life" about corduroy trousers.

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/countr...t-country-trousers-148033#d5xpSkEVCbqftbRF.99

After reading the article, I remembered there was a "Brisbane Moss" label in the trousers.

[​IMG]

This might explain why Orvis calls them "Super", but still can't figure out how the trousers relate to "Wellington" (Duke, beef, or boot).

18 people like this.
  6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

7. muddy250

Thanks! I'm looking for a new jacket in something like this, or a glen check, all good ideas to consider. Hope it's not too chilly in Stavanger, I have a cousin freezing his ass off in Hamar :)

1 person likes this.
  8. SprezzaTrash

SprezzaTrash Well-Known Member

Super casual, but I wore this to Inspiration LA last weekend! Thankfully I didn't spend too much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1930's Biker Jacket, Custom shirt, 501CT, Florsheim Imperials (thrifted)

The jacket is one of the coolest things I've ever purchased. Got it for a huge deal, considering the details and condition! Shots of my friends' attire and my pickups can be found on my blog!

7 people like this.
  9. Roy Al

Roy Al Well-Known Member

@muddy250
    It's cold here, but it's on the coast, and you know the Golf stream seldom leave us sub zero. Hamar can be cold. I pity your cousin, living the norwegian Siberia. But good for skiing, though.

There's a lot of check jackets out there; it all depends on how much you want to spend.
    I'm looking for a new one my self and have an appointment with English Cut in Chiltern Street, London in a couple of days. I have use them for some suits, and I'm quite happy. The last years Tom Mahon, the head cutter, have been too busy to see MTM-customers, but I trust his shop-keeper; they are both trained at Anderson & Sheppard.

1 person likes this.
  10. muddy250

Casual pub o'clock trip.
    Navy Harrington, Sunspel navy polo, Spoke grey chinos, Sargent Herrick suede. And Aqua terra on chocolate brown croc strap.

[​IMG]

11. muddy250

Yes, inland a few miles makes a big difference eh? I have my eye on a Steed creation for bespokewrinkles in a glen check but am open to ideas. I will be in London in 3 weeks and might call in to have a chat based on your experience. I have little experience of having things made so far but it's encouraging to know they are too busy to see MTM. It can only bode well for the future! I have however learned to take note of house style and not to go to a tailor expecting him to make something other than that which he is used to making. Expensive experiments .. ;-)

1 person likes this.
  12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Today

[​IMG]
    Eidos jacket

Proper Cloth shirt...don't like the collar at all, but not enough to stop wearing it

Tweed & Flannel tie (Olof's new brand)

Square a nice gift from @Cleav

21 people like this.
  13. Michael81

Michael81 Well-Known Member

Yes. It is now one of several. Thanks.

14. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

That Jacket [​IMG]

15. wigglr

wigglr Well-Known Member

Wrong thread. Read my blog.

16. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Well-Known Member

Quote:makes me think: In Cold Blood

17. Roy Al

Roy Al Well-Known Member

@muddy250
    Steed I know something about, since I've been following them on internett, seen their work and been to their shop in Carlisle and had a chat. Not commissioned though. @Andy57 use them on a regular basis - that is my impression, and he look splendid in their stuff.
    I knew Steed started out together with Thomas Mahon after leaving Anderson & Sheppard where they both worked. But they didn't manage to cooperate and Mahon started English Cut.
    The style is basically the same and a good choice if you want very traditionally cut. Soft shoulders and a nice silhouette, but trousers are often full cut; no slim line there. They give you what they can, not necessarily what you want. Which indeed can be an expensive experience.
    I can give report on English Cut, Chiltern Street next week.

1 person likes this.
  18. muddy250

I've looked at Steed for a while and decided their cut is one I like the look of, Planning to visit Carlisle to see them for myself. Edwin learned from Sexton/Nutter if I hear correctly? As you say, silhouette beautiful, soft shoulders and a generous lapel which is lovely to see in these days of RTW too short/too fitted/skinny lapel jackets. Seems to be a nice blend of the row and neapolitan and I think it's just the thing I need. I don't wear suits and get my trousers made locally so I just want jackets I can relax in. Previous commissions have all ended up being overly formal and I feel Steed might be (no pun intended) a good fit for me :)
    I will check out English cut as well, look forward to hearing your thoughts.

19. Roy Al

Roy Al Well-Known Member

Edwin started with Sexton/Nutter before he joined Anderson & Sheppard.
    I think their style is quite typical british/Savile Row.
    I have used Whitcomb and Shaftesbury for some time, they are affordable since their bespoke costs the same as MTM, but want to go back to English Cut for now. I'm also planning to pop into Richard Anderson's, just to investigate what they make.

1 person likes this.