• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful. I'm guessing the Blackwatch square is your Navajo imperfection in perfection?
Thanks. The square is argyll and sutherland highlanders regimental stripe. The same as my watch strap and similar in color to my tie. A bit matchy, but I thought it blended well with the sweater.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
ders regimental stripe. The same as my watch strap and similar in color to my tie. A bit matchy, but I thought it blended well with the sweater.

the fairisle, tweed + tie r nice
satisfied.gif

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Forper while you may consider yourself as having "individual style" I'm afraid you do not. You look exactly like the stereotypical US male worker.

Many posters here have a strong personal style that takes them out of orthodoxy and sometimes out of favor, so perhaps you should look to see how they do it. Off the top of my head EFV, An Acute Style, thefoxtooth, StanleyVanBuren, and Coxsackie come to mind. And if they dress too formally for you, and/or their choices dont work for your climate, perhaps someone like RegisDB9 would be a good inspiration.

However, given your prior responses I suspect I'm wasting my figurative breath.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm hesitant to criticize your PS game since you were until recently so adamantly opposed to them.

But, in the case of this outfit, I fear the PS is just too bold for the rest of the composition.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm hesitant to criticize your PS game since you were until recently so adamantly opposed to them.

But, in the case of this outfit, I fear the PS is just too bold for the rest of the composition. 

Haha...of course this is the one you respond too! I've worn a PS the last 4-5 posts here. I'm not that crazy about it, but with everything else being a solid color, I didn't mind the square adding a little pop. Everything else is a bit more vibrant IRL.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forper, your individual style is entry level and/or painfully clueless American worker.

While it would still be preferable to incorporate some tailored wear (an SC does wonders for even a simple look), you could look much, MUCH better heeding some of the advice here, and still maintain your comfort/functionality.

As it currently stands, you look sloppy.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second try. Trying to keep things low key.

As pointed out by Claghorn, ties with jeans are not favoured here, although out there in the real world, it's often seen. But if you are going down that road (and yes, a knit is a good choice), then a more casual jacket is needed. I can't tell what the material is, but the colour appears to be black or perhaps navy. Too dark.

@Coxsackie

I wondered if that was the linen POW from Suitsupply. I saw it on their website last summer and thought it looked great but in person not so much. Now I see your pics and you've sparked my interest again. I notice it's been revived for the Spring Summer stock so on the evidence of your pics I'll have to take a second look! Are you happy with it?

Yes, that's the one. Lazio block.

I've been known to lob in to the SS store in Shanghai and just browse through their racks, trying stuff on. I would never have picked this one off the website, but when I tried it on, I thought it looked pretty swell, so I grabbed it.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha...of course this is the one you respond too! I've worn a PS the last 4-5 posts here. I'm not that crazy about it, but with everything else being a solid color, I didn't mind the square adding a little pop. Everything else is a bit more vibrant IRL.

I've noticed them in the last few fits...

Just for me this one doesn't work. The rest of the outfit is very conservative...and while I appreciate your attempt to add some 'flare' here...I just dont think it works. The backdrop is too conservative and it clashes.

Just my 2 cents.

But...it looks better than no square! haha

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've noticed them in the last few fits...

Just for me this one doesn't work. The rest of the outfit is very conservative...and while I appreciate your attempt to add some 'flare' here...I just dont think it works. The backdrop is too conservative and it clashes.

Just my 2 cents. 

But...it looks better than no square! haha

Eh, it's a beige wool/silk/linen jacket, chambray shirt, and houndstooth tie...not very conservative. I get what you're saying though. Thanks for the feedback.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Making no concessions to the unseasonably warm temperatures here of late. It's winter, dammit.
So, I shall solicit feedback: is this tie too green to wear with this jacket. I would most likely have worn the jacket that is part of the brown tweed suit, but it is currently out of service, awaiting a small repair. So I've been wearing the green jacket more often recently. I felt like wearing one of these Massdrop x Panta ties today with this ivory shirt, but is there enough contrast with the jacket?
I think the answer is that the tie is too close in shade and tint to the jacket. A deep forest green with blue-ish undertones should work well. That Panta's moss green with its gray undertones is a bit too close in shade and tint to the jacket, since the jacket ground color is so striking. I also find myself thinking that jacket and tie in same tint and shade gives a very city vibe. Doesn't work as well in country clothes, which call for more varieties of tint. Of course, a wine or burgundy tie would look smashing with that rig, but you already know that.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Murl, stick to white linen, bro. lol

It isn't that damn bad. It's definitely not the best option there, but it's new and I wanted to give it a go..."You win some, you lose some, but you live...you live to fight another day" -Chubbs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads