1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

knot is a 4IH [​IMG]

2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Very nice. Classic design of course, but in a (unfortunately) not often see color combination!

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

So, the weekly update newsletter, out in about 12 minutes, is essentially (purely by the numbers) a tribute to a very special member (tm, and also, lol). Make sure to look your email inbox in the next little bit.

3 people like this.
  5. mossrockss

mossrockss Well-Known Member

Dude deserves a medal of some kind for being a Gold Star Member or something.

6. mossrockss

mossrockss Well-Known Member

I have 2-inch cuffed chinos and suede penny loafers on. They are the same things y'all always see because they're the same things I always wear! lol

Eidos jacket (duh)
    PC cotton-linen Oxford cloth shirt (love this thing)
    J.Crew pantalones (Bowery chino, which in my waist size comes in a 36-inch inseam, so I was able to cuff them)
    BB tie
    J.Crew wool square (I never wear this thing bc I often don't know how to pair it, but it looks good against navy, I think)
    Polo Ralph Lauren by AE suede loafers (I was just thinking I might get these loafers in a brown calf)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24 people like this.
  7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm getting the newsletter anymore. What can I do?

8. Poszetka

Poszetka Well-Known Member

Macclesfield in Warsaw

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  9. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

I NEED DAT JACKET. looks great man

1 person likes this.
  10. aaamax

aaamax Member

Looks sharp, nice choice.

11. LA Guy

First, check spam. They check your settings. If you are still subscribed in your settings, but don't get the newsletters, it means that you unsubscribed at some point. I think that we can re-add your email, but it takes some doing, since it's unethical to do so without having some proof that we can show that you wish to received newsletters again.

Hitting the "unsubscribe" button on any legit site is the nuclear option, btw. And for non-legit sites, it's completely useless anyway, so in general, I would advise against using that button, ever, and to just go to your settings to change things around.

Cheers,

Fok.

12. Caustic Man

Woah!

13. LA Guy

Yeah, so, there are certain conventions that all legit sites (like Styleforum) and the mail servers we use (we use both mailchimp, and sendgrid) use. If someone unsubscribes to the newsletters, they unsubscribe to ALL newsletters, forever. If they unsubscribe to any notification, your email is put on the unsubscribed list, forever, no matter what you put in your account preferences. This is for the users protection. And the only way we can get the email added back is to get an email specifically requesting to be added back into the lists. And since that requires that we talk to a third party, it takes time. I think that if you resubscribe, you can actually get back in, but I'm not sure.

For a non-legit site, they take an unsubscribe request as "Hey, there is someone at this email", and you'll just get more spam, and probably get more spam from more people, since those sites regularly sell or lease parts of their lists.

It's sorta a no win situation for everyone save for true spammers.

14. Caustic Man

Fascinating. You should write a book on internetting. Srsly. Not sure how to resubscribe but I'll figure it out.

15. LA Guy

I've learned a ton about internet and internet businesses in the past decade or so, and even more in the last 6 years or so. It's an incredibly fast growing, wild west, industry where rules and conventions are changing constantly, not to mention the playing field, and at the same time, incredibly byzantine (anyone who has worked in ad ops and understands the trading of internet ads understands how nutso it really is).

1 person likes this.
  16. Caustic Man

From a user's perspective I always viewed the internet today as relatively tame compared to what it was in the 90s and early 2000s. Hearing someone refer to it as the wild west again is interesting. I sure hope you're making some money off of this stuff, because I wouldn't want to do it. I enjoy making content but I wouldn't want to try and run a business.

17. LA Guy

Styleforum started in 2002, and then, it really was the wild west. You could do whatever you wanted. There were essentially no rules. I know guys who squatted on hundreds of domains. And this was not just the little guys/ One of the big book selling companies, Borders, iirc, bought all the "typo" domain names for barnesandnoble.com, and redirected them all to their site. It was pretty nuts.

It's relatively calm now, but power plays happen all the time. For us little guys, it is tough, like steering a stiff in a typhoon. For the big guys, it's like clash of the titans. Uber just sold its Chinese interests to its Chinese competitor. Instagram just came out with a feature designed to go head to head with Snapchat. If I had to compare the landscape to a movie, it would be "There will be blood".

This is Google talking to Yahoo, right now:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Caustic Man

Best scene from that movie BTW.

I suppose, being small, there are some things you are spared.

2 people like this.
  19. LA Guy

And here is Facebook taking out Friendster, MySpace, and all those companies that exist not at all now, or as ghosts:

"I am the THIRD REVELATION!"

[​IMG]

20. Caustic Man