1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

I am late to the game, but I join my voice to the chorus in praise of your transformation--in health and in sartorial excellence. Thank you for sharing your story. The post that I am quoting exemplifies the "new you". You wear this suit--fit and color--splendidly. All the details are well coordinated. And, it has a dash of fun. I always enjoy your posts. It is evident that you are a true gentleman.

3 people like this.
  2. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Well-Known Member

I have been away from StyFo for a few days. Here are some pics of what I wore:

Wednesday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thursday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24 people like this.
  3. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canali
    Zegna
    Drake's
    Eton
    Boss
    Alden

11 people like this.
  4. TheoProf

TheoProf Well-Known Member

Thanks @smittycl . I've seen these but haven't purchased one yet. @An Acute Style seems to be happy with Spier & MacKay's OCBD offerings at a fraction of the price, so I'll probably try those next. Also, I wish BB would reintroduce their classic collar roll on the pinpoints and not just on their OCBD's.

Thanks so much @clarinetplayer . This made my day. Your kind words are especially meaningful to me since I consider your posts among the best on both this site and AAAC. Your rigs are always spot on in both style and fit. When I have funds to spend on some alterations, I'd be happy if the result came even close to approaching your fits. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

mcobinad: I want to preface this by saying that I like your Gazelles, but the picture without them shows how much of your face they obscure! You're a handsome guy, and the Gazelles become the focal point instead of your face.

1 person likes this.
  6. applky

applky Well-Known Member

I'll shamelessly take credit for having said that. And it's exactly that the BD collars should have longer points with a significant roll -- that's the important part. I'll reiterate my recommendation for Mercer & Sons's shirts. Their standard blue OBCD, especially, is second to none. I've been impressed with some Kamakura collars that I've seen recently, but I've never handled their shirts in person.

I enjoy this fit. I probably would have gone with lighter-colored trousers but that's nitpicky. I like the long reverse tie blade. Works great.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

17 people like this.
  8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

9. TheoProf

TheoProf Well-Known Member

I'll check out Mercer and Sons. I have some Kamakura shirts, but their sizing system doesn't work well for me. The sleeves are about a half inch too short with the neck size I need (I'm a 15" neck with a 34" sleeve). I haven't looked into their MTM options though.

I've appreciated the collar advice I've gotten from you and others. Since I gravitate toward an Ivy aesthetic, I'll continue to wear bd collars, but I now agree that spread collars look best on me. That said, I appreciate you suggesting brands that might yield a better result. Cheers.

10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

It's a shame that Kamakura shirts don't fit you well, I think they are quite nice. Kamakura is my go-to OCBD. I've never had Mercer & Sons, I'll have to check them out.

11. applky

applky Well-Known Member

Yeah, they do semi-MTM I'd say. I customized a few options, including doing a seven-button front instead of their standard six-button (too traditional for me), dialing in the collar/sleeve/yoke size, and taking a lot of fabric off the body, as their body fit is very large. The collar and fabric are so great that it's worth it, and as far as an e-mail MTM experience it's great, and they have that first-time buyer's discount. @Caustic Man do believe the SF hype. Voxsartoria's tumblr has a ton of Mercer stuff on it, and DieWorkwear has written disconsolate panegyrics to their blue oxford, if you needed further convincing. Really, if you're going for Ivy, Mercer is pretty much it. Good luck with the shirts!

12. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Don’t forget Luxire, which has a ton of Oxford cloth available, with some shirts priced well under $100 USD and the shipping’s free. Full custom, as I'm sure you know. Their posts to their affiliate thread contain a link to a Google Doc spreadsheet which includes links to customer’s collars, and I believe there are some button down collars in it. In any event the thread itself contains loads of pictures.

In the unlikely event I’m ever in the market for an OCBD I’d probably start there.

Cheers,

Ac

13. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

14. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

Yes, this is fantastic. All of it. You had my interest; now you have my envy.

1 person likes this.
  15. Citan1145

Citan1145 Well-Known Member

Some work on a Saturday. Have a good weekend folks (need to catch up on the thread!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  16. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

Thursday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26 people like this.
  17. zazadojo

zazadojo Active Member

I would like to see a bright red tie with that jacket....but that tie and jacket make you look like the Joker.

18. firefit

firefit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Prom. I was on a very strict budget, and was firing up the advice section with all my questions. Thank you Murlsquirl and LA guy for the advice.
    1. Ralph Lauren (Polo line) Black suit
    2. Modern tailor white trial shirt (Fit me extremely well, just need to shorten the arm length a tad, as it is bunching up.
    3. Cole Haan oxford dress shoes.
    4. Tie bar white linen pocket square
    5. Brooks brothers satin black tie (forgot which line, I believe it was 1818? Not sure, a friend who used to work there let me borrow it.)
    I honestly don't think it's too shabby for my first time wearing a suit, but let me know what you guys think. And don't worry, you can critique it as much as you like, still new to this haha.

8 people like this.
  19. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member

@Kent Wang very nice. Your fit is smashing

1 person likes this.