1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm planning on dark medium gray linen trousers with mine. Not sure if it will work but we will see.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

Assertion of an opinion as a fact does not make it a fact. Should you shorten your jacket sleeves to your elbows you might like it, I might not. I might assert that it is wrong, but that would be my opinion only. However strenuously I might assert my opinion it would not become a fact. However strenuously you assert your opinion you are still only stating your opinion. Even if large numbers of people agree with you, it is still an opinion. You might be Thom Brown and people might copy you. Still neither right nor wrong, objectively. Well, maybe an exception for Thom Brown.

These rules that you consider to be objective are made up by us, by people. They do not exist independently of us. There is nothing objective about it.

I tweaked you originally because I prefer my jackets on the longer side and because I thought it would be fun. It's not fun now. We'd be on the same page if what you assert as rules are considered to be merely guidelines that have gained some generally broad currency. The assertion of objective rules is what I find problematic.

2 people like this.
  3. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

While I agree that the jacket is too long, I'm incline to agree with the argument that it is still, in fact, subjective.

I'm no expert, nor do I have any intention of being considered as such, but, from my vantage, the "objective" rules are only considered as such because enough subjective opinions aligned to make it so.

Still, for my money, length is much too long.

4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Andy, I can agree with you that its not fun anymore. :)

Perhaps though, what you are asserting as a fact, that my opinion is only opinion, and not fact, is, as well, only an opinion.

:revolve:

Ok, now I think it might be fun again.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    3 people like this.
  5. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

Is this a Long length? If so, youd benefit from a regular. Like others have said, the length looks too long to me. Otherwise spot on!!

1 person likes this.
  6. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

buttoning point and pocket placement both look fine but then the jacket has like 2" or more of length below where I assume the pockets end that doesn't need to be there

7. yjung02

yjung02 Member

I totally agreed everybody's opinion that my jacket is bit long to me and even I feel so.

Thank you for every one for valuable opinion

yjung02.

6 people like this.
  8. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

Thursday. A student thought my pocket square didn't go well with my tie. Thoughts? I wore socks to work, but they kept falling down so I took them off. The socks were black watch stripe like the tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  9. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

If he didn't have his hand in his pocket, holding open the left quarter, I don't think there'd be any defense of the length of the jacket.

11. in stitches

@Andy57, since you mentioned Thom Browne, I would like to address that, because I think it brings up a valuable point. And for the sake of peace, please understand that when I use words such as "fact", or "objective," that I what I mean by that is, in my opinion, such is fact or such is objective.

TB suits, or at least the ones we are talking about, are objectively too short in the sleeves, jacket length, and pant hem. How could this be if so many people like that look?

We all gather here to talk about clothing, and give people advice on what they're doing wrong or could be doing better. Ostensibly, for this to work, there has to be some sort of accepted norm or rules. Otherwise, no one ever has a right to say that something is incorrect, because everything is correct and anybody who thinks otherwise is merely stating a fanciful opinion.

So, yes, many people may like that TB look, or the look of a long jacket, but at some point, within a collective group that is striving to achieve success in looking properly dressed based on a collective understanding of what properly dressed looks like, it seems to me that certain things must be considered objectively right or wrong at some point.

This all may be my opinion, but within my opinion, I strongly believe as fact that certain things are objectively right, certain things fall within an acceptable variance, and certain things are definitely, objectively, wrong.

1 person likes this.
  12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Wait, are you talking about SW&D? (Love those guys, btw.)

13. in stitches

Actually, with as much variety and open-mindedness that can be found on the other side of the wall, I think that they are actually even more vehement when collectively people believe something looks wrong.

1 person likes this.
  14. Citan1145

Citan1145 Well-Known Member

Good evening gentlemen, temps are warming up here in Michigan, so I expect you shall me and CP wearing more Spring/Summer fits in the coming weeks.
    Jacket is Corneliani, purchased it last summer but never got a chance to wear it

[​IMG]

Fuller length

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17 people like this.
  15. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

I think that is a conversation best had while consuming an alcoholic beverage of some kind. As we can't practically do that, I withdraw from this conversation as neither side is going to convince the other. For myself, I tend to react negatively when matters of taste are represented as rules. I agree with just about everything you say except where you claim a regular quality that I do not believe can be supported.

However, it is a little known fact that there is an eleventh commandment, not just a mere rule, that states, more or less, thou shalt not cuff thy pants. Moses, who apparently was partial to cuffed pants, suppressed this last commandment, to the detriment of almost well dressed gentlemen everywhere.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Zegna X 2
    Talbott
    Godard

8 people like this.
  17. in stitches

Lol, I cuff all my pants.