1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

+1 well said.

2. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

+1 again.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

It's pretty close minded to think only one mode of dress is correct. Yes, we can all wear solids with some texture or small pattern, it's quite easy, but it's just not everyone's style. There's no need to condemn everyone who doesn't adhere to your particular sensibilities.

7 people like this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Group hug?

2 people like this.
  5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Thanks man, a wife and an iPhone.

FUCKING EPIC :slayer:

---

@edmorel Shantung shorts came in handy too :D

1 person likes this.
  6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I don't know whether this applies to many, but for me, clothes are entertainment.

Entertainment comes in a huge variety of forms. Sometimes, you can be entertained by a complex introspective play. Sometimes, it's a brainless sitcom. As long as you're entertained I refuse to acknowledge that one is a superior artform to the other, unless you model the purpose of the medium to be something other than entertainment. Clothes have less substance than even the most imbecilic sitcom, so to view progression through makers as almost a quasi-academic progression towards one's tenured professorship is a little ridiculous to me, as is a focus on one style or aesthetic being superior to another. Look at both Spoo & spectre's recent posts: you can't tell me that they're both not delighted with what they're wearing and getting exactly the reactions they want from others. They're very different reactions, of course, and aimed at different groups of people... but really, so what? Therefore, both outfits are equally successful in my book. Getting that level of insight into what you want & need from clothes is the key thing, not whether they're made to a higher standard or according to a variety of increasingly abstracted criteria.

It isn't really a cost issue at all; from my superficial knowledge of various people's professions here, many can comfortably afford to buy the most expensive bespoke if they wanted to. Not all, of course - there are plenty of younger professionals here too - but certainly far more than actually do buy from those makers. But here's the rub: as long as you enjoy your clothes, and they're chosen well enough to meet your social/interpersonal needs, that's really all there is to them. Beyond that, it becomes circular, self-referential navel-gazing nonsense.

One of the good things about this particular thread - and why I spend most of my limited SF-time in it - is that it strips away a fair amount of the nonsense and just focuses on clothes being worn by different folks. Whether bespoke, niche RTW or mass-market, at least in here, the clothes are doing what they're meant to: being worn, not just abstractly being discussed.

Now, none of the above is to say that it's not useful to acquire a passing familiarity with the range of different kinds of dress; it's useful to be as familiar with Friends as it is with Flaubert. You need broad familiarity with the range of what's out there to decide what you like best, and what actually matters to you, and SF can be useful to learning about a certain subset of this that isn't well represented in other media. But it's not the pinnacle of dressing well, unless defined without reference to individual needs.

tl;dr Ed summarises it well at the end of his post upthread: "it's just clothes and it's your money. Do what makes you happy."

Anyway, what I wore to dinner tonight, plus spoiler-coded ('cos no jacket/tie) pic of outfit from earlier today. Hottest day of the year so far for sure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    34 people like this.
  7. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

Wow, so much Bro-ness happening here, Next time can I pair up with Crust?

8. mezentius

mezentius Well-Known Member

Just going to point out that the original comment about solids and "elegance" (whatever that means) was directed at one of those shiny, multi-stripe ties, something you'd expect to see with a rented black suit at high school prom. I don't think Spectre was denigrating the majority of SF-approved ties.

9. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

@Holdfast, sharp analysis and well written, as usual. Your contributions are one more reason for me to follow this thread.

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I think there as a misunderstanding about what I meant by the items involved in the fit. Stitchy got it right--I was referring to how well the various pieces are put together. Nothing whatsoever to do with brands (in fact, I've gone on record that I find the benefit of brands to be increasingly outmoded).

But let's push back the other way. The focus on fit rather than combination. As a number of people said, money may be an issue. But even more to the point, I like being able to admire what folks put together. I don't interact with member's tailors, so I don't get the same appreciation when I think "wow, xxx did a really great job with that shoulder" vs "wow, EFV did a brilliant job figuring out how to wear jeans with a tie."

Agreed--no outfit should ever be about a single item. It's about how well each item plays with the others. Color, texture, formality, even extrinsic context.

I've not seen too many Spoo fits coming from folks that aren't Spoo, but when I first started working with my loud jacket, I made a couple of missteps (I generally need to get a feel for an item via trial and error before really understanding how to wear it. Maybe that's a deficiency on my part, but it's a process I enjoy). This thread was very vocal, and helpful, in pointing out what could have done better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Epaulet (x2)
    Moderntailor
    Givenchy
    Carmina

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  12. NickPollica

NickPollica Well-Known Member

With such a pronounced window I would make the case for forgoing pattern all together and sticking with a brown or navy solid tie here.

6 people like this.
  13. GSTT

GSTT Member

@Holdfast exactly my thoughts, I just wish I was able to express them so well. Your perspective on things is a reminder to not always take what is for most a hobby too seriously (me included).

Nice fits, btw.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I would generally agree with you, but I feel that @Claghorn has executed this pretty well. The colors and size of the pattern match with the jacket well. There are definitely more ways to fail than to succeed with this jacket, but I feel that Clags has hit that rare success. Question to Clags - how many ties did you have to try before you got to the one with which you stuck?

1 person likes this.
  15. Claghorn

That day, just the one. I purchased it with that jacket in mind. But for that jacket, overall? I've tried maybe 10 ties and have had 3-4 that I was happy with. All brown. A navy knit was recommended a few times, but it was my first thought outside of brown as well. Didn't like the way it looked. That could just be me though.

16. NickPollica

NickPollica Well-Known Member

Agreed - It definitely works. That said, I'm inclined to think a chocolate grenadine or linen knit would knock it out of the park.

17. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Indeed, a tie in a shade darker than the jacket (either chocolate or navy) would be perfect, due to the added contrast, IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  18. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

You shine light on a very good point, HF. Imo, entertainment is an important part of clothing. (And we are fortunate to be able to enjoy this aspect.) It's certainly not the only value they serve though, as I'm sure you'd agree. On the most basic level, they provide protection from the elements. They serve various social functions, relating us to each other in different ways by evoking certain thoughts and feelings in different people. I remember well a post you wrote long ago about how you choose your clothing partially in light of what it would probably communicate to the people you would encounter that day. And you touch upon it briefly, below.
    I agree with you completely that many choose not to buy bespoke. I do too for many if not most things. But I disagree that anything beyond personal enjoyment and meeting one's own social/interpersonal needs is simply nonsense. As you know, whenever we buy something, we support all the things that went into producing that good, all the environmental and social conditions. (NPR did a nice video series on the many people who produce even a garment as simple as a t-shirt.) This, more than anything makes clothes much more serious than mere entertainment or navel-gazing imo. Great fits btw. Some of your very best imo. Claghorn asked me long ago:embar: to post in his greatest hits thread, but I haven't been able to. I hereby reserve your first pic for my future selection!
    Thanks for your clarification. I never mentioned brands myself. But by the Hermes Man reference, I probably did mean his pursuit of brand names. I also meant his pursuit of individual items over a coherent wardrobe. (Sorry HM.) But mainly I simply mean't "consumerism" which you mentioned. If you didn't mean by your post that SF members are often too into brands, what did you mean by saying SF had taken a more "consumeristic bent" in the last few years? Fwiw, I liked the first of the two combos best. A dark brown solid tie would be nice too, similar to what Nick wrote. I add "dark" because I think that the medium brown/burnt orange tie was too matchy. Same goes for the square imo.

19. Claghorn

I just meant to speak the acquisition of items. This forum has become very "buy buy buy" (or as some would say "kop"). For example, the GNAT is generally focused on the purchase of the best items for the poster's desired look, regardless of brand name.

As a an unfortunate result, sonetimes a poster's wardrobes expand faster than his understanding of how best to use his purchases coherently.

1 person likes this.
  20. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Thanks C. Interesting. I'm not sure the love of brands can be divorced from consumerism. There has been at least a few discussions over the years of how much SF members like brands. I think that like any community, we get caught up in them. Perhaps we do less than others, but we like to think this only applies to others.

What's a GNAT btw?