1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as principles for excellent dressing, there are only principles for good dressing. Excellence is beyond rules and principles.
    Like if you have some talent and go to good painting academy, you will learn principles and become good painter. You can learn and practice principles as much as you want, you might never become excellent, as in one of the great painters we all admire. And some of those actually found excellence by breaking rules.

2. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

I believe pravda is a murrican

can't speak about the :smarmy: part...

3. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I find I have to do proportions in a holistic way – trousers in concert with the lines of the jacket and shape of the shoes, that kinda thing. I also want my tailored clothing's shape to have as much to do with the drape of the fabric as it does with the shape of my body – trousers as fitted as yours are end up shaped more like your legs than anything else.

Shirt should tighten up nicely after a wash or two. I like that pattern a lot – if it were in my wardrobe, I'd steal Koala-T's last post and try it with a knit tie.

Hard (bordering on impossible) to get a dark gray jacket and dark navy trousers to look balanced, especially when the jacket is in a suiting. The effect ends up being a bit like a guy traveling on business trying to eke a smart casual rig out of his gray and blue suits. Tough to get any effect other than that from a gray suit jacket, honestly.

1 person likes this.
  4. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

The Eidos jacket is brilliant.

2 people like this.
  5. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Well-Known Member

What I wore for my 2 year old nephew's birthday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    21 people like this.
  6. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Well-Known Member

double post cancelled

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Something a bit different today.

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  8. Citan1145

Citan1145 Well-Known Member

Well, looking over the past few pages I am glad to see so many members still contributing to this thread! I hardly think anyone would remember me, but, I attempted to be a regular contributor to and learner in this thread about 2 years ago. I took 2 years off working in a professional setting to gather data for my dissertation, write it, and defend it and took a job in data collection for a fellow researcher, strictly casual. Thankfully, I am employed in a professional setting again and can reap the reward of dressing how I prefer to most days. Sorry for the poor quality, I just snapped this in the hopes I would have the time to post it. From Friday, Polo jacket (dark blue glen plaid) , howard yount trousers, and a purple and green madder tie (will post close ups in the future of shirt/tie/jacket combos. Photo is a bit fish eyed, so perspective may be off! (i.e. sleeves on the jacket are fine in real life, pants look a big wider in the thigh) Look forward to interacting with old and new faces here and contributing to a seminal thread in my development as a professional, dressing well has actually helped me stand out in my field and I owe it you gentlemen!

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  9. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finishing and defending your dissertation.

At first I thought you were wearing a suit. This is never good if you aren't, in fact, wearing a suit. I'd look to wear lighter pants with that jacket next time.

1 person likes this.
  10. Citan1145

Good call, to be fair the jacket is much brighter in better lighting and the pants are charcoal grey, but, I can see medium grey or light grey being a better fit in terms of color. Thanks for the feedback and yes, I am glad I am over with that part of my life.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Citan!

1 person likes this.
  12. MeachamLake

MeachamLake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Citan1145

Thank you, SB! Glad to see you are still posting!

14. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

Very behind, but here's a few fits from this month. I caught up a bit during the snow storm.

01/07/16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

01/06/16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

01/05/16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

01/04/16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  15. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

It's funny how some come on here just to critique other people's fits but never post any of their own. Just my 2 cents, of course. Cheers!

3 people like this.
  16. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

I don't see any problem with critiquing without posting. Siskel and Ebert's opinions about movies aren't any less valid because they didn't make movies themselves. I think if someone has a meaningful and relevant opinion to share, then I'm more than willing to listen. The advice isn't always meaningful and relevant though so if often falls on deaf ears as it should.

10 people like this.
  17. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Solid

Solid point.

1 person likes this.
  18. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

In all due respect, I think that's 2 different arguments although I do see your point. For example, someone can lack athletic and or physical ability to play a certain sport but it doesn't mean that they can't learn the game and become a great head coach or GM. But with dressing up, to me it's different. Anyone can put some nice clothes on and show us how it's really done. Don't lecture me about what's right or wrong sartorially and I've never seen you in a suit. My 2 cents, of course.

1 person likes this.
  19. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I think reviewing movies is more akin to critiquing clothing in respect to the actual process.

However, even if one can and does dress well, there might not be the inclination to take pictures and post them online.

Not that posting online doesn't have some value. It certainly adds credibility. Thus, if someone like UrbanComposition were to voice his opinion about something without going into great deal justifying it, it's still something most here would take into consideration, and rightly so. His outfits are consistently excellent which signal both understanding and taste which would then underlie his opinions.

If an individual doesn't post outfits, to be worth listening to, he must justify his opinions more fully (and carefully).

5 people like this.
  20. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

Interesting last few pages.

Monday. In hindsight there could be more distinction between the top and bottom blocks. Tie is a blue knit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37 people like this.