1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

^^

I figure it's a juxtaposition thing, but also graffiti is full of strong planes of flat color, which is a nice counterpoint to the subtle tones and soft textures of the clothes we like.

I've done it once, partially as a shout-out to a friend of mine who had posted a picture of themselves in front of the same graffiti the same day.

[​IMG]

I wish I could take more decent pictures, but I'm using a phone, shooting after it's dark out, and have too much clutter to take a decent one. In my last place, I got some great shots.

And surely a tractor is only "urban" by Texas standards. [​IMG]

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Speaking to the juxtaposition of wearing a suit in a clearly rural setting (a far greater juxtaposition than a suit in a decayed urban setting). Even in Texas, home to the 3rd, 7th, and 8th largest cities in the US, a tractor is not urban. Horses, on the other hand...

I think that if the graffiti is out of focus enough, it just becomes an interestingly colored background. But if it is in focus, it draws attention away from the outfit and--@Coxsackie feel free to step in here--causes our eyes to view it as more of a silhouette.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  3. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I know, I was just messing with you.

I can't really recall every seeing a #menswear photo with really out-of-focus graffiti in the background. Slightly blurry, sure, but nothing where there was really great separation in terms of focus. But now I'm curious, and when the opportunity presents itself I'm going to give it a shot.

But I think I might have a little bit of bias in terms of #menswear pictures – they're not quite art, and so I'm not really in the habit of reading them like art. I tend to take in the photographic elements on a basic level, and then look at the clothes. The handful of people who use photographic technique exceptionally well (you, Gerry Nelson, Vox, Cox, Crat) tend to be using it in a craftsmanship kind of way, to make everything but the clothes disappear.

I think Ethan Newton, from the Armoury, is one of the few people to make really distinctive and beautiful pictures in a #menswear context.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

I suspect the graffiti is a combination of isolated spots where one can be photographed with a minimum of gawkers and doing what one has seen others do. I like a lot of graffiti though so I don't mind.

2 people like this.
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

A better one with obligatory cute kids. It's a pretty casual wedding.

[​IMG]

25 people like this.
  6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I have posted a couple of fit pix against a graffiti background.

Why? Well, because I felt it kinda boosted my street cred. Y'know, I'm from the projects, but my inherent good taste elevated me to my current sartorial godliness kind of thing.

Also because other people did it and I copied them.

3 people like this.
  7. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Anyway my cinematographer friend (he shot Shine) is turning up in a minute so I'll ask him why graffiti backgrounds "work".

2 people like this.
  8. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Well-Known Member

As the last one in the thread who posted a picture with a graffiti back drop, which I guess spawned the initial question, I feel obliged to point out that there is one reason to choose such a background that has not been mentioned: I like graffiti. I know a thing or two about graffiti both as an art and a lifestyle and I happen to live in a city with a pretty healthy graffiti scene. I sometimes choose to use graffiti as a background in the same way as someone might use any other motif of interest and/or beauty. Street cred does not play into it at all, I lost any ambitions in that department decades ago.

It depends of course on the basic premise for the picture. Many in this forum take pictures primarily to document a fit, which I suppose is actually more in line with the theme of the group. I am lucky enough to have a very talented photographer who is willing to take my pictures, but that also means that her ambition is slightly different than "just" documentation. As a consequence my pictures may not be as helpful in terms of examining a fit, but hopefully they can give a sense of clothes in context.

2 people like this.
  9. Andres 13

Andres 13 Active Member

Today:

Jacket: MTO Lopez Aragón.
    Tie: Gentlsupply.
    Trousers: Lopez Aragón.
    Shoes: Carmina Forest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  10. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member

@diplomaticties

You know how to bringit. The vintage Italian shoes are killing

11. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

Yesterday. I've been trying to dress SF aprops for the month of November. I think I deserve at least one transgression in 30 days. Can't promise there won't be more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  12. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

To a large extent people here are just following what is now an established tradition in 'the real world': urban backgrounds, with or without graffiti, have been a staple of fashion advertising for decades, as I’m sure everyone here knows. So if we’re looking for origins, perhaps we should look to the business of marketing and the young urban demographic it’s been targeting for some time.

Cheers,

Ac

13. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member

@an Acute Style

All I can say is that fit is just pretty. Well done.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  14. tchoy

tchoy Well-Known Member

It's been a while I posted here.

[​IMG]

34 people like this.
  15. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

Welcome back tchoy! You were missed.

2 people like this.
  16. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Some posters on this thread might not be as familar with "Wall Scouting" as other posters are. As a practicing Wall Scouter, I hope that I can encourage others to become Wall Scouters.......

http://fashionista.com/2015/06/wall-scouting-instagram

4 people like this.
  17. eddiegreen

eddiegreen Well-Known Member

18. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Well-Known Member

Lookin'sharp

1 person likes this.
  19. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Very colorful, Acute.

20. Dennis Walter

Dennis Walter Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers are with the French people today...it is odd to just keep posting when you think about last night´s mass murder...i really have mixed feelings about just carrying on with my usual habits...but then again there´s probably nothing i could do about it and self-containment doesn´t bring back the dead. What´s your take on it, gentlemen?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26 people like this.