1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Cox, I think those shoes are fine with the suit. That's about as dark as you want to go, though, before darker shoes would be necessary.

1 person likes this.
  2. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

I like the linen suit and the shoes look just the right shade to me (if a bit too new).
    But isn't it a rather chilly winter Down Under now?

Edit: and what's with the numbering?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  3. mcobinad

mcobinad Well-Known Member

I have no idea. Sorry mate ;)

4. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Well-Known Member

Just a few quick ones...

The last isn't a study in fabrics so much as a test—to see if you can spot my old-school waffle tan.

EDIT: one more shout-out to my tan linen/cotton Luxire shirt with the Broke and Bespoke collar.
    True FCOAT (Favorite Collar Of All Time)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21 people like this.
  5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I'm numbering my fits for my own benefit, to make them easier for me to find down the track (via the "all my posts" search function). I need to put the number at the top in order that it's visible in the search results.

Yeah, it's been chilly in Sydney, but brilliantly sunny during the day. Really superb weather actually. I wore an overcoat and gloves over that suit for the commute yesterday (fifteen minute walk through Hyde Park - so nice on a chilly sunny morning!).

Back in Melbourne as of last night and I doubt I'll be doing any linen-based fits here this week. Temperatures are similar but it's overcast and rainy.

1 person likes this.
  6. Coxsackie

@mcobinad , if you can get your fit issues properly sorted (and they are improving), you will certainly make sapeur. Your colour and texture game is already very good. And you clearly have an eye for quality - your stuff all looks really well made.

2 people like this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I think he likes when things fit him tightly like that.

I believe he's commented before that it's the look he's interested in. It's not what is SF approved, but I think he does it far better than most who try to do it.

8. Coxsackie

Not really - don't wish to harp on this too much, but sugarbutch (I think) did an analysis with some [​IMG] lines to show where McO's suit was bowing and bunching unnaturally.

Tight fits are fine if they're very precisely tailored. Generally I would say that linen is not a good choice of cloth for a tight fitting garment - it needs to drape a little more "flowingly".

3 people like this.
  9. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

Koala I think you would benefit from a 1940s cut; broad, bold shoulders and high-rise full-cut trousers would balance things out nicely. Avoid pinstripes if you don't want the gangster comments but otherwise I could see it working:

[​IMG]
    maybe don't go this extreme but stronger, more extended shoulders and less tapered trousers would be my first step

2 people like this.
  11. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

1. Good to see u back.
    2. I like the collar roll, but the rumpling along the front edges not so much.

Whoa, I'm not sure I really wanted to know what sapeur means. And not sure u should be recommending that Mconibad should take sapeur as his sartorial grail.
    This is what came up in an image search. (Spectre would be rolling in his e-grave)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nice shoes, nice suit. Not together tho imo. No one who spots u strolling downtown Sydney, Melbourne or Shanghai would be in any doubt that you're a bit of a dandy.

NTTAWWT

12. Coxsackie

I had the feeling McO's reference to "sapeur" was tongue in cheek and I was playing along with that.

As to my fit, yeah, the shoes were strong. Liked by some. I love that suit (it's new, from SuSu) but it turns out to be a less than straightforward task to match it with shoes. Will have to work on this aspect.

NTTAWWT = "Not that that alters what's worn today"?

1 person likes this.
  13. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

OT:
    Oh a Blackberry, :) not seen one of them in a few years. Had a company issued one about 8 years ago, not for personal use though.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  14. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have friends who r dandies.

15. mcobinad

mcobinad Well-Known Member

I'm not sure these sapeurs emanating from KINSHASA are the ones I would be willing to emulate as they have no atom of class whatsoever. Their way of coordinating colours hurts my eyes. There are far better ones that have distinguished themselves from the crowd. They are overpopulated in certain streets of Paris. BTW, in the year 2012, the famous beer company 'GUINNESS' featured some of the sapeurs in their advertisement. It's surprising some here have never heard about these guys. I have included a video link to the famous Guinness advertisement. Link here

1 person likes this.
  16. MrTRC

MrTRC Well-Known Member

I like the Sapeurs and the look, but on others -and the link McObinad pasted are cut from similar cloth as the infamous Kinshasha ones.

Hence, it seems somewhat strident and a contradiction to laud the Guinness-linked ones but vilify the Kinshasha ones.

17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, I agree with you. Those outfits were awful.

2 people like this.
  18. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  19. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

The African sapeurs must be assessed in context.

5 people like this.
  20. Coxsackie

This. It's not like they have immediate access to the latest books from Dormeuil or Fox Brothers.

4 people like this.