1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

I think this works well enough. The stripes are dissimilar enough that they don't clash, at least to my eye. Where is the shirt from?

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Why did you get patch pockets on a pinstripe suit? That's about as incongruent as it gets. I like the colour combination of this outfit though. The grey suit, lighter shirt and burgundy tie look very nice together.

1 person likes this.
  3. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

I could D4IH it, that would help a bit... or maybe I'll send it to tiecrafters, or maybe I'll tuck, or maybe I'll throw two middle fingers to the sky. One of those.

Thanks, Andy! Shirt is MTM from Spoon.

4. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

Very nice, but feels quite wintery to me. What cloth is the suit? Almost looks like flannel.

Perfectly fine, I think. The key to combining two items of the same pattern simply is scale. As long as they're decidedly different in scale, the eye doesn't jump confused between the two. Here, the stripe on the shirt and on the tie are about as far from each other as possible, so you're golden.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

6. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

The tie should be tucked.
    I also think these slightly roomier pants would look better on you if worn higher on the waist. The proportions look bottom heavy otherwise.

Also, I am beginning to think that a tray of whiskey bottles has become as much a part of the iGent ensemble as has a pocket square and suspenders. Let's break out of the box guys. There is a reason they think we are squares on SWD

2 people like this.
  7. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Also, to my eye, a madder tie with that pattern is too far on the casual end of the spectrum for a pinstripe suit. (I just mentally edit out the patch pockets from that suit when JK posts it [​IMG].) Color combination is nice though.

2 people like this.
  8. Leaves

Leaves Well-Known Member

It's winter Down Under mate!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  9. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Tie tucking is a fad.

10. niidawg3

niidawg3 Well-Known Member

WIWT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

WIW Tuesday
    [​IMG]

27 people like this.
  11. jcmeyer

Appreciate the feedback, Sander. The lighting didn't do the tie justice really, it's a soft wool with a white stripe sandwiched by two burgundy stripes - but that said I actually don't love the way the colors play with the blue in the shirt. I can do better :D

Roomier/higher rise for sure - and in fact it's time for my first fitting on an oatmeal flannel pair that will do just that. Also getting rid of the belt loops in favor of pull tabs for this pair. Should have it ready for prime time in another month or so.

As for the bottles, only one is scotch :satisfied: But the Mrs. is the decorator and I'm not about to mess with that, plus it's the only place in the apartment that gets enough natural light. I'm not really sure where or when all of the elements you mentioned became iGent vs. just "gent."

It is? I think he was just talking about the back blade; i could be wrong. I don't see all that much tie tucking on the whole, a couple Braddock fits come to mind - but I feel like if anything I see that more in old photos than new ones. Shrug.

12. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

What the hell? I think you're referring to the laughable way Jake Grantham and his compatriates tuck the tie and then let the skinny end bow outward in a show of nonchalance. When you tuck the tie, nothing is seen, mate.

I was talking about, you know, when you are from a land where everyone is short, and ties made worldwide are incomprehensibly long, so you tie them to fit and then jam the rest inside your pants like a big boy. Tie tucking is (feeling of deja vu as I repeat this) an established solution that even our hallowed idols used. Only buying bespoke ties is very boring.

Yes, I know -- you are proposing I send my hundreds of ties to TieCrafters so I can have the peace of mind of not having those few centimeters of silk mingling with my testicles. Frankly, they deserve a little silk.

2 people like this.
  13. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Well-Known Member

Not being a fan of how tie tucking looks I was fully prepared to (subjectively) disagree with this entire post....but than I got to the end - a tip of the cap to you sir

14. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

I will fully admit that if the reason you are tucking your ties is to tickle your balls, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I think it's a fad. I'm a utilitarian though, so do as thou wilt and all that.

Edit: I'm mainly referring to the people out there buying ties too long when they have ties the right size available to them and then tucking because sprezzatura. Yuck.

15. Braddock

Braddock Well-Known Member

[insert Cary Grant joke here]

2 people like this.
  16. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

@niidawg3 I love your fits and it seems like you have an awesome place!

17. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

How was your experience with Spoon?

18. jcmeyer

I've been really happy with them. A few details here and there go wrong, but they're quick to fix if they can and pretty good at keeping track of your changes over time.

I've only done shirts and one pair of slacks there so far (the grey ones from that post) because I've yet to see a jacket from them that I like. That said, a friend is getting a suit made with Spoon right now that I'm helping him with, so if that turns out ok I might be more inclined to roll the dice. Like most tailors I've worked with you have to be pretty specific and stern about what you want, but the end results have been well worth the (relatively) small pricetags for me.

19. ForwardPleats

ForwardPleats Member

New around here. Regular day in the office wearing an air force blue pickandpick three-piece suit with English detailing, white DeoVeritas shirt, black Dion knit tie, and Gravati plaintoe black slipons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  20. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Indeed. I am in full summer mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21 people like this.