1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

It's called historical counterposition. It is when people take a past event and recreate the meaning of it to fit an agenda. And so in America we learn that Lincoln fought the Civil War to end slavery, or we learn that the Revolution was fought over individual liberties.

2. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Fucking awesome, is what it is. Or, lazy people suckling from the teat of government at the expense of tax payers, if you listen to a different narrative.

(Referring to paternity leave, not slavery, of course)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  3. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

The irony of posts about Union supporters mythologizing the Civil War is too rich.

2 people like this.
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

To get things back on track, here's a picture of me looking cranky.

[​IMG]

(I was tempted to use the toilet picture. But I figured I'd save that for later)

20 people like this.
  5. Caustic Man

I'm sorry to have offended. I am reading the historical record as I see it. I claim no propaganda, you see I'm neither northern nor southern. I do think that it's best not to approach history from too much of an emotional standpoint because then it makes it difficult to see that there is indeed a northern mythology around the war. This isn't to say that there isn't also a southern mythology, I doubt anyone could reasonably argue that there isn't. I will give you some advise, don't become emotionally invested in your interpretation of the past. It makes you toss around fallacious accusations.

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

That's not fair, man. Let me borrow some of that hair covering your forehead. I think mine is scared of my forehead or something because it's starting to retreat.

7. Caustic Man

I don't think anyone misinterpreted that. lol

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Well-Known Member

Yes, I have no doubt that the North crafted various narratives about the Civil War--its motivations, what the outcome meant, etc. That's what happens in war (the application of a social-science term doesn't really add much to that basic and familiar knowledge). I'm also sure that any assumptions that the North fought the Civil War for reasons that align with 20th or 21st-century views of racial equality are naive. So congrats! Your view is smarter than someone with a piss-poor idea of history!

But you've used being smarter than an imagined body of simpletons as leverage for making sweeping claims (backed up by CAPITALIZED WORDS about what most people thought). All of this to downplay the actual role of abolitionist ideas and ethical demands.

FWIW, the streak of "crude" Marxism in my thinking actually leads me to agree that, in the last instance, beliefs and ideas are motivated by material/practical realities. I just don't agree with the way you're making your case or the kind of intellectual/affective satisfaction it offers.

9. Murlsquirl

That's enough, guys. End of discussion. PM each other if you want to carry on. Back to posting/discussing WAYWRN fits.

4 people like this.
  10. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

See. This is why I saved the toilet picture.

I do think it is a good convo though. CE. But CE is a scary place. Maybe GNAT or MC Gen Chat?

11. baromatic

baromatic Well-Known Member

YAY OR NAY??Just want to get everyone's opinion on this Double Monk with a square toe.

Originally my though thoughts were you wouldn't catch me with a square toe but was wonder what is the consensus out there ?? :cry:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Murlsquirl

A big NAY

2 people like this.
  13. Caustic Man

Sorry. Posted my response before I saw Murl smack down.

14. baromatic

baromatic Well-Known Member

Caustic, YAY OR NAY?

*sorry I multi-quoted by accident from my phone. But yea wanted to ask...

15. Murlsquirl

That's what I assumed. Taken care of....carry on.

16. Caustic Man

We need an SF academics thread for to discuss topics of import, and shit.

17. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Can we talk about how Clags manages to be comfortable with that much hair in Texas?

Clags, how do you manage to be comfortable with that much hair in Texas?

1 person likes this.
  18. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Years from now people will talk of the war I waged and say it was to free square toed shoes from appendage bondage, but the truth of the matter is, I despised them and wanted them forever removed from our feet.
    Nay, nay, nay...thrice, nay!

5 people like this.
  20. Caustic Man

What the! You deleted it? You could have at least left it up for posterity. That took a minute or two of thinking to come up with!