1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kappelan

Kappelan Well-Known Member

Kappelan has an enviable assortment of sweaters.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. dplows

dplows New Member

Going to make two post so that I can actually PM people, so don't mind me, usually a lurker
    Orgetorix, like you said, that looks way too tight around the waist, your stance and just general look of discomfort might contribute to that though.

3. dplows

dplows New Member

Still working on doing better. Life of a grad student, eh? I think this will be considered more presentable though. Taken this morning before I'd really made it to my office.
    And I would say that this doesn't look anywhere near fitted enough around the waist that's just me though

4. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

5. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

The multi-points square is too precious IMO, esp. with an odd jacket/trouser fit. If it was a little lower in the pocket, it might pass. Even so, I'd give it a miss; puff is my personal favourite, though square is also fine. The thing with multi-points is that they really speak of so much deliberate effort that the rest of the outfit has to be ultra-precise and formal that for it to be congruous. Tighten the tie a little, too. Shirt looks interesting: contrast collar on a bengal stripe? Can't tell much else about the fit, but I like the fabric on that blazer.
    Advice taken. I posted the shirt in the recent buys thread recently, so there's a better pic of it there. I got what is hopefully a better pic that I've put at the bottom so that it might provide for better analysis, and one of the shirt-tie-ps combo that I think is better.
    And I would say that this doesn't look anywhere fitted enough around the waist that just me though
    Looking at those pictures I would agree, but I think the new one below shows it better - truer to what it looks like in person (at least through a mirror). I thought about it when it was being altered, but there wasn't a whole lot more that could be done without putting breaks in the back. I'm comfortable with it because it's an odd jacket, and they're supposed to fit a bit looser. Edit: also, shoes! How did I forget them! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] It's my Lab/Office and I can put my feet on the table if I want to.

6. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Well-Known Member

Older pic, taken at a fitting.

[​IMG]

very "Belle Époque" look cravate with the hair, beard and glasses... i like. where were you headed next... the thÃ[​IMG]âtre des champs-elysÃ[​IMG]es for the premiere of some revolutionary orchestral work?

7. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

mktitsworth: That jacket needs some serious alterations... or something.

8. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Advice taken. I posted the shirt in the recent buys thread recently, so there's a better pic of it there. I got what is hopefully a better pic that I've put at the bottom so that it might provide for better analysis, and one of the shirt-tie-ps combo that I think is better. Looking at those pictures I would agree, but I think the new one below shows it better - truer to what it looks like in person (at least through a mirror). I thought about it when it was being altered, but there wasn't a whole lot more that could be done without putting breaks in the back. I'm comfortable with it because it's an odd jacket, and they're supposed to fit a bit looser. Edit: also, shoes! How did I forget them! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] It's my Lab/Office and I can put my feet on the table if I want to.
    Do you want to read any critique? If not, or you can't take it, please don't click on the following spoiler:
    First, the good thing. I like those socks. They are from Target. I have a pair. Shoes: I don't think you've quite pulled off the tassel loafer look. The shoes are kinda cool by themselves, though. Tie/PS: The tie is too shiny. Looks cheap, even if it isn't. The PS is, once again, too shiny and doesn't go with anything else in your outfit. It's just hanging there by itself . The way you folded it, it looks like you've stuck a triple-folded tie in there. Pants: Pull them up. Slimmer, slightly more tapered pants would do wonders for your body type. The jacket: Ooooff... It's too big and too long. It needs more open quarters. I'd say it is unsalvadgeable, unless you spend some serious $$ on it at a good tailor. This whole outfit makes you look like a HS kid in terms of choosing and coordinating pieces. It also makes you look extremely short, especially your legs. A shorter, slimmer jacket will help that. Keep posting and reading the forum, you will improve greatly!

9. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is that the new suit? Congrats if it is. Nice fit.

10. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Well-Known Member

I'm comfortable with it because it's an odd jacket, and they're supposed to fit a bit looser.

i really don't know where this theory comes from... good fit is good fit, period. now, if you're expecting to wear multiple layers underneath your jacket, have it be a bit looser. form should follow function. if not, it should be just as well fitted as anything else. if it's tweed, you're allowed a bit more looseness because the heavy fabric makes it more difficult to discern subtle differences in cut/silhouette - and, because tweed is often worn in cold weather, when you often need another layer underneath.

but generally speaking, the fact that so many people wear rumply, loose sport coats doesn't (shouldn't) legitimize a fit that is any less exacting than one you'd want in a suit jacket.

11. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Well-Known Member

Greg, nice.
    +1 Sweet sport coat.

thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sammy (yep sleeves are there but not in the pic), BB, HY, EGs

[​IMG]

12. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Well-Known Member

I'm troubled by the fit of the suit, though, but I can't comment on it intelligently b/c the photos aren't very good.
    Yeah, I'm honestly, and regrettably, starting to feel the same way. It was an extremely "modern" cut; thin lapels, slightly short jacket, skinny all over... It might look good if I were to lose 40 lbs, but I am unfortunately coming around to the fact that it really isn't suited to my (current) body type. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. The really unfortunate part is that it will be a while before I can justify another decent suit, barring any sales or lucky finds online. Hence the cheap-o little grey number I posted last week.

13. mktitsworth

mktitsworth: That jacket needs some serious alterations... or something.

Like what?

Do you want to read any critique? If not, or you can't take it, please don't click on the following spoiler:

First, the good thing. I like those socks. They are from Target. I have a pair.

Shoes: I don't think you've quite pulled off the tassel loafer look. The shoes are kinda cool by themselves, though.

Tie/PS: The tie is too shiny. Looks cheap, even if it isn't. The PS is, once again, too shiny and doesn't go with anything else in your outfit. It's just hanging there by itself . The way you folded it, it looks like you've stuck a triple-folded tie in there.

Pants: Pull them up. Slimmer, slightly more tapered pants would do wonders for your body type.

The jacket: Ooooff... It's too big and too long. It needs more open quarters. I'd say it is unsalvadgeable, unless you spend some serious $$ on it at a good tailor.

This whole outfit makes you look like a HS kid in terms of choosing and coordinating pieces. It also makes you look extremely short, especially your legs. A shorter, slimmer jacket will help that.

Keep posting and reading the forum, you will improve greatly!

Thank you for the critique. While I'm sure its scathing honesty will burn a hole deeply within my soul that will cause me to self mutilate, every scar will remind me of the wisdom that I've taken from it.

i really don't know where this theory comes from... good fit is good fit, period. now, if you're expecting to wear multiple layers underneath your jacket, have it be a bit looser. form should follow function. if not, it should be just as well fitted as anything else. if it's tweed, you're allowed a bit more looseness because the heavy fabric makes it more difficult to discern subtle differences in cut/silhouette - and, because tweed is often worn in cold weather, when you often need another layer underneath.

but generally speaking, the fact that so many people wear rumply, loose sport coats doesn't (shouldn't) legitimize a fit that is any less exacting than one you'd want in a suit jacket.

Touche. Thanks for the input.

14. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Red, pink and burgundy? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Navi

Navi Well-Known Member

Like what?

The "trash it and buy a smaller jacket, preferably an S" alteration. Quite necessary, I think.

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Red, pink and burgundy? [​IMG]

It was much better in my head than in application.

17. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Thank you for the critique. While I'm sure its scathing honesty will burn a hole deeply within my soul that will cause me to self mutilate, every scar will remind me of the wisdom that I've taken from it.

I appreciate your good humor. Some people really can't take any criticism and think of me as some kind of a**hole. I figured since I pretty much disliked your whole outfit, you could also think that. But it's not the case, I'm just trying to help.

18. mktitsworth

I appreciate your good humor. Some people really can't take any criticism and think of me as some kind of a**hole. I figured since I pretty much disliked your whole outfit, you could also think that. But it's not the case, I'm just trying to help.

Lets not deceive ourselves here. You are some kind of a**hole. It takes all kinds, even different kinds of a**hole. You're the kind of a**hole who wraps their a**holishness within a veil of "I'm just trying to help." Doesn't change whether or not you may make a good point. Nor does it change that I'm the kind of a**hole to disregard all or part of what you may think based upon my own opinions regardless of whether or not you chose to be an a**hole in the first place.

19. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Lets not deceive ourselves here. You are some kind of a**hole. It takes all kinds, even different kinds of a**hole. You're the kind of a**hole who wraps their a**holishness within a veil of "I'm just trying to help." Doesn't change whether or not you may make a good point. Nor does it change that I'm the kind of a**hole to disregard all or part of what you may think based upon my own opinions regardless of whether or not you chose to be an a**hole in the first place.

In that case feel free to disregard it and keep dressing like you did. [​IMG]

20. mktitsworth

In that case feel free to disregard it and keep dressing like you did. [​IMG]

Hell no. I'm an a**hole, not a jacka**.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.