• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the fabric on this suit Holdfast. :inlove:
0pPmN.jpg

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Forgetting about the colors for now, the lines in the PS are too similar in scale to the lines in your jacket pattern to look right. Go with a solid white linen or any pattern that isn't made up of stripes or lines, such as polka dots. I think a nice polk dot PS would be ideal for this jacket. Now you just have to pick the right color. I can't tell from the photo what to suggest. I would need something more accurate.

With the right PS I would go with a solid shirt. I don't think strips with a POW plaid work (unless it is an extremely subtle POW and even then it has to be just the right scale of stripe). We will see the recent trend of trying to mix multiple stripes and plaids fade soon. It comes up every ten years or so and dies because it rarely works well. But it keeps the fashion stylists busy for a season or two.

PSG -
Thanks so much for this very informative critique. So basically you think only shirt to wear with this jacket would be solid? What about something like a gingham? Too many checks even with them on a different scale?

Here's a better picture of the colors of the jacket. It's basically black with some royal blue:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A gingham and a POW plaid are just too many right angles to wear together. Wear one or the other but not both. A solid blue shirt would bring out the blue in the POW jacket giving a coordinated look. A dark blue pocket square with white or silver polka dots would be a classic match or something like this one I posted on the PS thread recently (it is dark blue, light blue and off white - try to ignore the warm highlights from my lighting) . If you want a bit more contrast then consider a classic light burgundy/red PS with off white or silver polka dots. You can't go wrong with any of these classics paired with that nice POE fabric.

Last edited:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are all Tom Ford, yes, but Harvey has too big of tie knots and too much of a collar gap. But it's refreshing to actually see very nicely made and looking suits in a TV show.

I loved the interchange between Harvey and Mike in the first episode:

Harvey (looking at Mike's cheapo suit): Didn't I tell you to get some new suits?

Mike: I spent $500!

Harvey: How many did you get?

Mike: Five.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HF, that suit looks good with the toned down tie. Like PSG, I love the fabric.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A gingham and a POW plaid are just too many right angles to wear together. Wear one or the other but not both. A solid blue shirt would bring out the blue in the POW jacket giving a coordinated look. A dark blue pocket square with white or silver polka dots would be a classic match or something like this one I posted on the PS thread recently (it is dark blue, light blue and off white - try to ignore the warm highlights from my lighting) . If you want a bit more contrast then consider a classic light burgundy/red PS with off white or silver polka dots. You can't go wrong with any of these classics paired with that nice POE fabric.

Ha, I actually went hunting for this yesterday after I saw you post it in the Pocket Squares thread - best I found (or so I thought) was the chinese brocade navy at kent wang, but it's not in stock now. I try to avoid looking too coordinated in general, but I can see the value of a blue shirt with the jacket. Will definitely post again next time I wear this jacket.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying the corduroy jacket from the suit I posted here a week or so ago with a new pair of flannel pants. I know, there is a clash between PS and shirt, colour-/pattern wise. Besides that, I think it's a pretty decent outfit for the season.

VictorSF

Reaction score
I find this out of balance, your upper torso looks too big.

I'm just an athlete.

For this reason, in my jackets have a broken line from the neck to the shoulder. It's just a jacket fits the trapezoidal muscle.

For this reason, the sleeves of my shirts and jackets are quite broad.

Shoulders the same jacket, I prefer the soft, rounded, it is difficult to tailor, but this is the best option for my type of figure. With stiff shoulders of his jacket - the kind is worse.
Therefore, when ordering a tailor, I choose the soft shoulders of jackets.

Last edited:

VictorSF

Reaction score
Trying the corduroy jacket from the suit I posted here a week or so ago with a new pair of flannel pants. I know, there is a clash between PS and shirt, colour-/pattern wise. Besides that, I think it's a pretty decent outfit for the season.

Very good!

Do you have your own recognizable style and the style I like very much!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ha, I actually went hunting for this yesterday after I saw you post it in the Pocket Squares thread - best I found (or so I thought) was the chinese brocade navy at kent wang, but it's not in stock now. I try to avoid looking too coordinated in general, but I can see the value of a blue shirt with the jacket. Will definitely post again next time I wear this jacket.

A solid pink shirt would also look very nice with that jacket since it has royal blue.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm just an athlete.

For this reason, in my jackets have a broken line from the neck to the shoulder. It's just a jacket fits the trapezoidal muscle.

For this reason, the sleeves of my shirts and jackets are quite broad.

Shoulders the same jacket, I prefer the soft, rounded, it is difficult to tailor, but this is the best option for my type of figure. With stiff shoulders of his jacket - the kind is worse.
Therefore, when ordering a tailor, I choose the soft shoulders of jackets.
If my wooly stamp hadn't been put through the wash in the great crash of 2011, you can rest assured it would have been used prolifically here. Artisans in Florence are putting together another bespoke stamping device as I type.

VictorSF

Reaction score
If my wooly stamp hadn't been put through the wash in the great crash of 2011, you can rest assured it would have been used prolifically here. Artisans in Florence are putting together another bespoke stamping device as I type.

Sorry, I do not speak English. I do not quite understand you

Do you recommend the tailors of Florence? They have extensive experience with soft shoulder jackets for sports figures?

Who, exactly, do you mean?

I plan to go to Italy in the autumn, and it would be interesting is there anything ordered from tailors.

Which of the tailors of Florence would you recommend?

(I understand you correctly?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics