1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

I never tied a Four in Hand until I came here. I was a Windsor guy all my life, it was all I knew how to tie. I am not against them, if I can get them to come out ina good size, not a huge coconut knot. [​IMG]

You had said that before. Whoever bullied you into it was misguided, I am afraid...as most of your suits have a fairly wide lapel and your face can carry a bigger knot. Maybe you can try Windsor Wednesdays for a while? [​IMG]

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Sugarbutch: I like it, but that collar seems a bit wide for the rest of the look. The formality of it just seems slightly off.
    It's a conservative outfit, so I'm not sure why it strikes you as too formal, but thank you for taking the time to comment.
    Self-timer, this one. iLike your fit today, is it a suit?
    Thank you, sir. It is a suit. Fairly lightweight charcoal flannel from Vestimenta. I'm not sure I'd buy another flannel in this weight, but it was purchased about seven years ago before I knew any better. The trousers wrinkle like a sumbitch and the besom pockets gap whenever I put anything in the jacket..
    Some spilled coffee may have ended that challenge today...
    Oh, no! Sorry to hear that, man.
    Can't argue with any of this. Thanks for your thoughts, sb.
    Just one man's opinion, but I'm happy you found it useful.
    Uninspired Tuesday [​IMG]
    That's the beauty of tailored clothing. Even on an uninspired day, you can look sharp!
    ^This is a classic look. I think I've said this before, but I like the spread collar on you.
    Thanks. I took advantage of Modern Tailor's recent promotion to try out some shirt variations that I thought might be too experimental to justify paying full price from my regular guy. Other than going a little too far in slimming through the torso (easily rectified by removing the darts), I think it worked out. This is my first soft collar, too. I'm happy that I bought three! I think I might go for a slightly taller collar next time, though.
    [​IMG][/spoiler]
    I think I see what you were going for, and I think this might work better with a less structured jacket with much less shoulder.
    [​IMG][/spoiler]
    I thought someone had hijacked your login...
    [​IMG]
    ...but then I saw the self-stripe on the suit! Welcome back, Spoo.
    Yesterday's fit was so awful I didn't dare show my face. Hopefully today's is better. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nice tie! And even better PS...
    [​IMG]
    I need to go find your "bold suit" thread...

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

I concede your sartorial acumen far exceeds my own, and I am aware of your proclivity for bold suits, but I think this suit looks really dated/old fashioned. You are a handsome man, and I think rather than complement your appearance the suit competes with it. And it's really no contest. I'm content to be the lone voice of dissent here, as I do not generally care for heavily patterned suits.
    Dissent isn't a bad thing; there's no need to feel you have to defend it with lots of qualifiers! Just feel free to dissent. [​IMG] Your eye is better than you think, anyway, because it IS a very retro suit in cut. There's a very strong 60s - almost neoEdwardian/mod - aesthetic to the shape of the cut, in fact. Squint at it, and imagine it as a 6x3 DB for a moment and you'll instantly see the mod influence I mean (the quite pegged legs are another aspect of this). It is dated and old-fashioned in that sense, though, so your feedback is quite accurate (though the cyclical nature of fashion means these things are never quite cut and dried, and in fact it's from a recent collection). I don't agree with the negative aspect of that, mind. Not every look has to be about looking cool; sometimes it's very enjoyable to play with different aesthetic, just for the fun of being able to do so. In an ideal world, I'd have found that bold a fabric in a book, and been able to get it MTM with somewhat broader lapels and more conventional cut. But in the absence of that, it's much more enjoyable for me to get the fabric I want in an unconventional cut, than it would have been to have just another conventional suit in a fabric I didn't love.

4. spoozy

spoozy Well-Known Member

I don´t think the tie and the sc are matching well...shoe/pants/tie combo is striking, though.
    Great!
    Don´t let Spoo hear that [​IMG]
    Cheers, Bro!
    Personally i don´t think shirts should be of other colours than blue, red and white (or a mixture of those colours), but that´s just me. Thx for the praise!
    Now THAT is an awesome ps!
    Suit yay, collar nay...looks way too wrinkled...
    Nice tie, like it!
    Great tie / ps combo!
    Noice work!
    Yay, true with the trou. If i only got one made from wool or sth. [​IMG] ...anyways, i love the way you sport this db. This one´s really flattering on you. Anyway, got fooled by temperature today...too late to get my entry in for the crazy shoes competition, aye? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ndw

ndw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

^Really nice combo, Mike. That tie is great.

[​IMG]

^Love this tie too. Not sure I like the shirt w/ the SC.

Perhaps by a tiny, tiny fraction. I'm watching your experiments with different cuts with much interest.

That's what I felt too. A hair too high. It's difficult to experiment with RTW (and all my SCs are RTW), but I am trying to find what really works for button point, length, cut so I can pinpoint it for future purchases and potential bespoke/mtm endeavors.

I have already started the MTM experiment with pants and I have a feeling it's going to take more tweaking, time, and patience than I anticipated, but it is very pleasurable to be able to dictate details, features, cloth etc.

Thanks. I really like DBs and how they look on me. But it's difficult to find a good fit in RTW, and even when I do, there are often other style details I'm not totally in love with (today's fit is a good example of this). I still like the look, overall, but it's not ideal.

See my above post. I know how you feel. It's an interesting progression because I am typically pretty satisfied with the fit I can achieve with RTW pieces and my focus has shifted more to the details. I can see why people go bespoke or MTM for this reason.

WRT today's post, I love the strong DB fabric, but I would echo that I'd prefer a larger lapel. In terms of ties/accesories, I would tend towards letting the suit fabric stand out and choosing solid white or blue shirt (or light pink if you are feeling adventurous) and maybe just a solid navy, burgundy (for some color), or perhaps even solid silver twill for a more monotone approach.

Thanks. I took advantage of Modern Tailor's recent promotion to try out some shirt variations that I thought might be too experimental to justify paying full price from my regular guy. Other than going a little too far in slimming through the torso (easily rectified by removing the darts), I think it worked out. This is my first soft collar, too. I'm happy that I bought three! I think I might go for a slightly taller collar next time, though.

^SB, I think it works for you. If you do decide to order more and request a taller collar my word of advice would be to make sure you tweak all of the proportions (point length etc. accordingly) and specify that you want the collar taller in the front (if that's what you want is more "tie space"). I have not used Modern Tailor myself, but I have experimented with local MTM shirts and tweaked my second order just like you, by requesting a taller collar, but without extending the point length slightly and without specifying I wanted the collar higher in teh front as well. The result was a little strange because the collar was taller but the point length was not extended so it looked funny (just my .02 if that explanation makes any sense).

6. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

- was kidding

About the whole thing, or in reference to the direction bit? The direction bit was not related to anyone here.

Today's chum. I tried out Holdfast's idea of having a concept in mind when constructing the whole thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I love the tie and PS. Nice look overall, well done.

8. Dewi

Dewi Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I really like that tie, and the shoes, if they didn't have the tassel.

9. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

One more, at end of day:

Really like the green tie, Doc. What material is that? Wool?

10. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful tie, O. Let me guess; you thrifted it for a buck ninety-eight. (Seriously, though; where did you get it?)

11. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

About the whole thing, or in reference to the direction bit? The direction bit was not related to anyone here. Today's chum. I tried out Holdfast's idea of having a concept in mind when constructing the whole thing. [​IMG]
    Not sure about the proportions, because of camera angle, but it seems to be a vast improvement over your earlier fits. I especially like that checked fabric.

12. ndw

ndw Well-Known Member

Today. Button point about 1.5" lower and trousers about as slim as I get.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

Kiton cashmere blazer
    NM pocket-square
    NM shirt
    Incotex pant
    DY belt
    Brioni socks
    Ferragamo penny loafers
    Michael cologne
    Tiffany watch

14. austerlitz

austerlitz Well-Known Member

i like those shoes.... who makes those?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

You had said that before. Whoever bullied you into it was misguided, I am afraid...as most of your suits have a fairly wide lapel and your face can carry a bigger knot. Maybe you can try Windsor Wednesdays for a while? [​IMG]

I will see if I can work one in for you tomorrow. [​IMG]

^Really nice combo, Mike. That tie is great.

Thanks, Nick.

About the whole thing, or in reference to the direction bit? The direction bit was not related to anyone here.

Today's chum. I tried out Holdfast's idea of having a concept in mind when constructing the whole thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aside from the totally closed quarters, which I am not a fan of, this is by far your best effort.

Mike

16. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Well-Known Member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    [​IMG]

Much improved. [​IMG] You look like you lost weight between one day and the next.

17. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Beautiful tie, O. Let me guess; you thrifted it for a buck ninety-eight. (Seriously, though; where did you get it?)

It's from the American Living line at JC Penney, and IIRC, it actually cost me about double that. [​IMG]

18. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Well-Known Member

It's from the American Living line at JC Penney, and IIRC, it actually cost me about double that. [​IMG]

What! People liking a JC Penny tie, blaspheme! I have found a couple of Nautica that I like a lot. In fact I got a TJ Max tie that I like better than an very similar Italian one I saw severely discounted at Filene's Basement. Typically I notice the quality up close but occasionally, cheap or not, I just like what I like.

19. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

I will see if I can work one in for you tomorrow. [​IMG]

No...no...do it for YOU!

(And please match it with one of your wide lapel power suits so I don't look like a stupid asshole...thanks!)

20. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Well-Known Member

A little on the casual side today...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And I can finally do this shot without being embarassed!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

End of day. Forgive the wrinkles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.