1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

2. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Fantastic Kul :rotflmao:

1 person likes this.
  3. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

Get this Drake´s PS toady from Exquisite Trimmings my favorite PS and tie dealer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16 people like this.
  4. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the comments.

With the outfit, I see what you mean and I have to say when I wore it and first saw it together I did have an inkling that the tie is just difficult to pair with the jacket but it was chosen by my partner (we'd just bought it the other day) and I wanted to get it to work. I felt like my other suits are a bit too city for the tie so from my options it felt like the brown linen was my best match in the whole rusticating/city scale thing. It felt to me like for the tie and suit to work together cream was the best color I could have chosen? Well anyway. As for me looking pasty, I actually just look kind of pasty, for an Asian anyway, though I think the color with the camera did emphasize that.

If you don't mind I'd like to repost some outfits as well as several I have saved if you guys don't mind commenting on it? I think it'd be useful to get feedback on the whole as to my approach. I am very sure I'm messing up a lot, but I've been kind of scared off really posting them since I KNOW they are mostly failures, without knowing specifically which things are the problems and why, and possibly what I can do to fix it, but you guys have been helpful and if you don't mind I'd love to hear some more comments on the follow outfits, both specific and generic.

As for the flair thing, yeah, I dress in a context that is def not CBD and has a wide range of formality, and in fact a lot of my outfits are more streetwear/casual so I haven't been able to post here, but I am sure you people are familiar enough and have good enough of an eye to comment anyway so I'll include some of those outfits. Thanks for your recommendations I'll go ahead and look them up. As to colors, yeah I do tend to prefer cooler colors, it's just I've always tended towards to gray (and in fact, black, which I know styelforum dislikes but, I'll be honest, I think it looks good on me, and I infact just bought a hopsack black blazer, I guess I'll post that later after it's done altering), and seeing lots of great outfits in stuff like tweeds and browns I've wanted to try, but I think you're right. Earlier I posted as much, I feel that due to complexion and hair color, something like tweed just tends to look quite poor on an Asian guy especially a younger one.

Sorry for all the photos, I spoilered them in case people are not interested, but I would really appreciate it if anyone has time to click through them and give me their opinion on my thought process. I am well aware that I don't know my stuff, and I don't want anyone to think my blatant disregard for SF wisdom is a sign that I know better, it's just personally I like to fully comprehend concepts through trial and error or demonstration to really get a sense of it, as opposed to just following rules of thumb somewhat blindly. I am sure I would eventually understand through both ways, but the former is more interesting for me, and I feel that's important. I'm alright with looking silly and making mistakes, and I'm alright with being told so.

Here are some outfits that I think are more or less acceptable. Probably should properly comb my hair, adjust my belt, tuck in that pocket square a bit more, etc, but I think these are fairly safe choices for various levels of formality that work alright. I hope I am mostly correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some outfits that I think styleforum in general would probably find it ridiculous/hilariously bad in some way, but I'll be honest when I put them together I liked them, and I still like at least part of their aesthetic, but I've been unsure how to improve on them because I feel like most of the comments I'd get would be to just "don't try this" (especially my obsession with waistcoats), which is fair enough, I am sure most posters here are experienced enough with either seeing others or having themselves tried too hard with more ornate accents or outfits and end up ridiculous, but I really like trying new things. In particular (and I don't have too much of it photographed here) I really like darker trousers which it seems SF doesn't really like. I posted before, but I feel like for my complexion it's more appropriate as it's more neutralized with my hair color, and as opposed to darker trousers on lighter haired/skinned people sucking in the focus, it'd be fine and allow more focus on the chest area, my shirt, tie, jacket, etc.

Well anyway here are some:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I had a dark navy shirt I never get to wear and tried to make use of it. I don't... think it works that well. I feel like the pant's color stood out most of all so it just drew everything to that area which I don't want. I think a simple solution is to not wear a dark navy shirt, but aside from that, wearing washed jeans with this will probably be okay, it'll be lighter than the top but not enough to be so stark a contrast. Like I said I actually generally like darker colors. It feels more natural to me. In fact contextually it makes more sense too, I am basically generally out during the night or after midnight in something like bar/party enviroments that are casual but dressed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be honest I like this look a lot, but I assume everyone will hate it:

[​IMG]

This one too I assume everyone will hate, I already posted in on the MC Casual thread. I liked it though. People say it makes me look tryhard, which I don't care about tbh. I assume if someone looks dandy but nails it perfectly nobody would say much against it, so I can only assume it's because I didn't pull it off, not because it's not okay to dress slightly flashy, but I don't know exactly what I should be doing about this, and what's ineffective about it. (ignore the chain I had my keys lol I don't have a pocketwatch kk)

[​IMG]

This is an earlier version of the same outfit, as you can see I just really like the aesthetic and am drawn to it, and I've been trying to find ways to make it work but obviously I am just not that experienced.

[​IMG]

Some more outfits with black slacks and my black suit, which I think looks good for me, and I know it's generally seen as a bad choice so I want to see if people think it's an exception for me.

The tie here I think is terrible, and in general when I took this I just didn't have many good ties. I also just used the same jacket and square from before but I just wanted to see how black trousers and gray jacket would look. I think it's okay..?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

5. mcobinad

mcobinad Well-Known Member

I agree that the shirt is quite a snug fit but I did get bucket loads of compliment today regarding the coordination and fit especially in an area where attention to detail is of utmost importance. Nevertheless, I do understand the general consensus among members on here regarding the fit of the shirt being slightly disproportionate. I believe that everyone is entitled or not exempted to the occasional foible. :)

6. DonCologne

@Isolation: Your outfits would benefit much from light blue or white shirts.

7. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Nice combo DC particularly like the PS :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  8. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

How can you be comfortable in a shirt like that? I have a couple of shirts that have become a bit too tight in the chest, and I've stopped wearing them because it's just too uncomfortable. It'll cause your shoulders to pull forward, because the chest button might pop off otherwise, and that's just bad for your posture. Your shirt isn't just tight in the chest, it's pulling like crazy everywhere.

Wouldn't you agree that a shirt more suitable for your body type would be a bit more comfortable, and probably look much better? What's the point of wearing expensive clothes if they're not comfortable? You should really look into MTM shirts. Assuming you're in London, go to Jermyn street and have a shirt made up. You could also try online MTM, like Luxire, but it'll take you a bit longer to get that perfect fit, especially if you start with that pink shirt as your basis. I think your outfits altogether would benefit greatly from going MTM or bespoke, as an athletic body type is hard to fit off the rack. I understand it might not be affordable, but in that case you'd be better off by buying much less and just saving up to get MTM.

Compliments don't mean anything, no matter where you are. Even in Mayfair, for example, 90% of the people dress like crap and have no idea what they're doing. Hell, even on Savile Row you see plenty of bad dressers.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I really like white shirts and actually wear them a lot but generally with my suits and I wanted to show some variation. I don't light light blue shirts much though, I seem to prefer bolder colors or just white I feel like a stronger contrast either way is better for me.

11. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Mc lets get some things out of the way. You have a very nice wardrobe and you know how to coordinate your cloths the only thing you seem to ignore (probably on purpose) is the fit of your shirts and jackets. Tight <> Fit

Outside compliments doesn't really fly on a hobbyist site, hell, people wear Ed Hardy and Affliction T-shirts and they get mad love in the real world. This is not the real world, it is a forum dedicated to improving one's personal style and to be honest you are already a sharp dresser all you need to do is re-train yourself on proper fit and get your shirts and jackets over to your seamstress and fix the tightness, bowing etc if they can be rectified.

@Cleav :D

5 people like this.
  12. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

I've never appreciated the city/country dichotomy. I get its relation to British culture, but as an American it means little to me. I am more interested in whether the colors and patterns look nice together, which I think they do. I've seen glen plaid worn in a city context and a country context. And I think it can look good in both context.

I cannot verify whether this is or is not an orphaned suit jacket. The jacket is by Brooks Brothers and they currently sells two very similar sport coats in a similar pattern, color and texture. I thrifted this one about 13 years ago. I don't see anything wrong with a subdued pattern for a sport coat.

1 person likes this.
  13. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

80 today. Pocket square is pink gingham. First linen on the year for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  14. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

This dude is muscular and has a massive drop but look at the fit. No excessive pulling and clean lines

[​IMG]

@mcobinad

13 people like this.
  15. mcobinad

Thanks monkeyface for the feedback. Advice taken onboard ! Oh did I mention, I need to call my other half to a board meeting tonight in which the MTM and bespoke accoutrements will be deliberated upon. BTW, I need to see a face to this your status name LOL :)

5 people like this.
  16. DonCologne

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here is a pic of the shirt button at the end of the day:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. mcobinad

Thanks my most distinguished honourable monsieur Kulata. Advice taken on board. The suit is one hell of a nice fabric though. :)

1 person likes this.
  18. mcobinad

I have just been murdered on this forum today for wearing a linen pink shirt with a protruding button. Bespoke, MTM, here I come !

1 person likes this.
  19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

First off, you're usually a great dresser and I admire your style.

Fair enough, wasn't aware you didn't like the city/country scale, so I'll ignore the city/country dichotomy when looking at your fits from now on. Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about the GP, but about the tattersall vest. A GP tweed jacket can look just as good as a GP worsted suit.

The differences between a suit jacket and a sport coat usually come down to three things: fabric/pattern, pockets and buttons.

A suit will usually have:
    1. a smoother fabric with a more subdued pattern
    2. buttons that closely match the colour of the fabric
    3. flap pocket

A sport coat will usually have:
    1. a more textured fabric with a louder pattern
    2. buttons that contrast with the fabric, such as light brown or gold buttons
    3. patch pockets

Your coat has all the factors that identify a suit, but swapping the buttons for brown horn ones might just do the trick! Whether the jacket is made by Brooks Brothers/Kiton/name your grail maker and whether they still make it doesn't matter at all, it's still an orphaned suit jacket even if it never came with matching trousers.

In the off chance you don't care about the suit/sportcoat dichotomy either, I'll ignore that alongside the country/city scale when critiquing your fits in the future.

20. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Gah, there's so much here and so much of what you are trying to do is outside of MC aesthetic. Also, this is not really the place to ask for such sweeping advice. Post a fit at a time and work your way up in here or take this to it's own thread.

I'm going to try to offer a few tidbits of advice. You are really all over the place and lacking basic foundations IMO. You can't experiment as much as you are trying to with success if you haven't nailed the basics.

I am not necessarily against where you are trying to go, but the way in which you are going there betrays the fact that you don't really know what you are doing. Sorry, not trying to be harsh. When I first started sometimes I posted something decent, but I really just got lucky because I didn't know why it was decent.

General advice:
    If you are going to wear a tie, tighten the knot all the way up, dimple it also.
    Avoid shiny things more

When you get dressed in the morning decide if you are trying to go MC or dandy.

If you chose MC then go back to the basics:

Light colored shirts like DC said (you could pretty much start with light blue alone)
    Pants should be mid to light gray or khaki
    Dark colored jacket (generally a lot of your jackets looks like orphans which is a more detailed discussion entirely)
    Tie dark colored either brown, navy, forest green, dark burgundy
    Shoes brown

There is a lot of subtlety to get lost in what seems like a very restricting set of standard colors. As you pick up on these subtleties you will gain a better idea of how to depart in a meaningful way which will improve your overall dress in other areas as well.

If you chose dandy (I'm just guessing here because I don't dress this way . . . yet [​IMG]):

Odd vest alone needs sleeves rolled up imo. EVERY TIME
    Dark shirts need to be less shiny and have like some sort of crazy pattern or something that tells everyone to screw off (black shirts are an exception) in other words burn your dark saturated blue and brown shirts imo. Or put them away for a VERY long time
    More tone on tone. Generally your dandy stuff has WAY too many similarish colors going on. Just make them the same if they are going to have such low contrast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.