1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

Rainy day in the city.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  2. cezinho

cezinho Well-Known Member

First post in this thread. Be nice :)

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

if that shirt was not (or did not look like) denim, that would be a stellar first fit. although it is a bit much with the blue

1 person likes this.
  4. cezinho

cezinho Well-Known Member

Thank you for the comment , I wanted to make a blue in blue combination.

Regards

1 person likes this.
  5. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

If that shirt didn't have a contrast collar and let's just ignore the fun socks, I would consider it a decent and bold 4 pattern fit. I've seen much worse in old threads from respected old members and they seem to get praise. Oh well...

2 people like this.
  6. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

@GMMcL Love the fit today. I think a different square would have been better. Something in the blue/light blue family.

7. 9thsymph

9thsymph Well-Known Member

Perhaps...I do like the look (more so from a distance), but I think it would be better with less overall...

8. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Less is more for sure (especially in this case) but I really value people that push boundaries.

1 person likes this.
  9. ianGP

ianGP Well-Known Member

Suggestions, HF?

10. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers Brookstweed jacket and ecru button-down shirt, Tie Bar tie, Jim Thompson pocket square, Lyle & Scott Fairisle sweater vest, L. L. Bean cord trousers, Gold Toe Argyle socks, and Allen-Edmonds shoes.....

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Good Lord man, is there no pleasing you?

2 people like this.
  12. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the feedback, compliments and thumbs. I recognized the fit wouldn't be for everyone. Could I have done a solid navy gren tie, pale blue shirt, and navy socks? Sure. But what will I have learned? Moreover, as I mentioned in the post, I'm in a mood lately where I want to get a bit more bold and push my boundaries, having done a lot of "less" fits over the winter. That will almost necessarily translate to less universal appeal, and I'm OK with that. Constructive feedback as to what worked and didn't will still be helpful, which is why I post (some) of my less StyFo approved fits.

I don't usually go in for defending fits, nor will I here. If it worked it worked and if it didn't it didn't. Again, I'm aware there were elements I could have changed and toned down to give it more universal appeal. To the extent I chose not to, I need to also be OK with the outcome.

The difficulty from a learning and growth perspective is that evaluation here isn't universal. Some members do 4 patterns (neat on stripe under check with bold square) and get high praise, others do similar fits and get busted. Same with loud ties. Striped shirts. Etc. (Footnote: I believe this is what the whole DTO/Phat Guido thing was really about, btw). Yes, it's all in execution, of course, and rightly so. But it's definitely true that some posters are given a pass as a rule, and others judged harshly as a rule.

This is neither new nor should it be surprising; it's been observed many times before. There can be any number of reasons, some legit others BS -- fit might be off, or the poster usually posts more universally appealing fits (and thus prove that the variance is intentional), in some cases it's because they've committed to a particular idiom, time and again, and that gradually gains acceptance (or at least respect for the commitment), and in other cases it has to do with photography and/or photogeneticism/body type (yes, slim guys do a LOT better here as a rule -- Compare the number of regular 20+ posters who are a size 40 or under versus 42 or above; there's no contest). I think you all have helped me dial in fit much better, but many of the rest remain strikes against me -- I'm not slim (though I'm trying), I have no desire to commit to a specific idiom (how boring), and I am, on average, generally less inclined toward the "less" camp than the "more" camp (though I think I've demonstrated I can do "less" when I want to).

This is neither a critique nor a complaint. Merely an observation that it makes it much harder to use this thread as a legit learning tool.

I appreciate that. I may try that next time. FWIW, I discounted blue for 2 reasons: 1. I didn't want to be too matchy with the shirt (light blue) or the tie (dark blue -- though I very nearly picked one out), and 2. I liked how this one pulled the yellow from the tie and tied it together with the brown in the SC, belt and shoes. But I respect that yellow is bold on those checks, and may have been discordant.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    12 people like this.
  13. 9thsymph

9thsymph Well-Known Member

@GMMcL you make very good points above...duly noted...

14. Coxsackie

Great analysis GMMcL. I feel a similar frustration - the occasional high-thumbs fit notwithstanding, mostly I seem to post failures. Sometimes I go back to look at those rigs, and can see immediately what was wrong. Other times I'm left scratching my head, wondering why a fit I remain proud of was so roundly ignored - or worse, reviled.

I don't really think there's an answer to this. WAYWRN is what it is. Most of its contributors are, I suspect, fairly decent and intelligent people. A few like to be "cruel to be kind". I'm torn between slavishly trying to copy the "approved look" and pressing on with my own style. The former would in some ways be easier but ultimately a kind of cop-out; very few succeed with the latter approach. I would hate to become one of those "always fails, never learns, wish he would just piss off" guys. Maybe I already am.

So...having got all that off my tits, I give you....today's fit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Suit - Suitsupply (Soho cut, Carlo Barbera Super 130s)
    Shirt - Rhodes & Beckett
    Tie - Patek Phillipe
    Square - Henry Carter Irish linen
    Watch - Stowa Marine Original
    Shades - vintage Wayfarers (ca. 1988)
    Shoes - Carmina (Rain last)

Funnily enough, I was accosted at an outdoor café this morning by a lady who insisted that I must be a barrister, because I was wearing a "barrister suit". Well, I think that's what she said. In retrospect, maybe she said "barista". For the record, I am neither.

34 people like this.
  15. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

My reaction to the above was:

"Oh shit, Cox"

The tie could have been better, but that suit.

Oh. Shit.

6 people like this.
  16. AJL

AJL Well-Known Member

@GMMcL- Nice thumbs-be-damned manifesto (for which, ironically, I gave you a thumb).

Sounds like a winning strategy for life in general (though once you've achieved your goals in the sartorial arts I imagine everything else seems puny by comparison).

edit: @Cox-well done. Btw, not sure about you, but I think I'd actually prefer a Patek Phillipe watch and a Stowa tie. Horses for courses I guess.

17. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

@GMMcL FWIW I've never even thought about your size when looking at your pics probably because your wardrobe fits so well. Stand next to me IRL (36s) and there will be a noticeable difference in our proportions but on the internet size is difficult to assess when the fit is dialed in. I think you look good (no homo).

2 people like this.
  18. Coxsackie

You are most certainly right. But hey, I'm a PP connoisseur on a Stowa budget.

Such was not always the case. Here is the PP5111 in white gold I used to own. So sorry I let it go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SF Family:
    Howard Yount (pants)
    Sam Hober (tie)
    Vanda (square)

20 people like this.
  20. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

@Coxsackie, I must admit I don't like the tie at all, but that suit is absolutely superb!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.