• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New MTM suit from Tiberias Clothing:

Crappy iPhone pic in poor lighting, so the colors are off. Suit is navy, shirt is a light blue hairline stripe. Overall, I'm very pleased with the fit of the suit. It needs to be pressed, though. :blush: Tie is a Hober grenadine, and the shirt is from Tyrwhitt.

Shoulders and sleeves look nice, but the jacket is quite short, no?

:fistbump: looks good. would love to see some better pics. what fit option did you use for the measurements?

I realize this isn't a fit critique thread, but since there was a comment that this jacket was perhaps short, and Stitchy requested more pics, I figured I'd throw a couple more out there from a slightly different angle. Still crappy quality though, sorry!

(Pants not yet hemmed, just rolled-up for the pics.)

Thoughts?

And Stitches, to answer your question, I sent a jacket and pants to Tiberias for them to take measurements. Also, the tie I'm wearing here is the dark chocolate fina from Hober, same as the one you like to whore out in the Hober thread. :cheers:

Last edited:

zeBanker

Reaction score
What do you mean in the detail?

I see:

Sports coat: maybe 1-2 cm shorter armlength and maybe the arms a little bit tighter
Trouser: Is wide, but its a seersucker summer trouser. So I do want a trouser where the air can circulate.
You know the running gag in the German Stilmagazin? When people say they think it's Geschmackssache (a question of taste) :p

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DC, look at the picture above. Does this really seem harmonious to you? Or even pleasingly discordant?

EDIT: Also, it again appears that you're wearing an orphaned suit jacket as an odd jacket. Not a good look.

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Greetings all, I do acknowledge some inputs on my previous post. Please forgive me as I'm still struggling with angle of the camera self snaps. Here's my look for Friday. Enjoy your weekend.
This pocket square is a delight.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an odd jacket and the other one too. If you don´t think so, that´s your problem.
Being marketed as an odd jacket doesn't mean it's one. Plus he didn't say it IS an orphaned suit jacket, just that it LOOKS like one, and I agree it's not a good look.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Being marketed as an odd jacket doesn't mean it's one. Plus he didn't say it IS an orphaned suit jacket, just that it LOOKS like one, and I agree it's not a good look.

If there is every single word critically observed, it´s better for me to quit here.

Style is not only a thing to dress well, it´s also to deal with each other well.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JEEZ, Butler that suit is amazing-- if only I could wear a suit so well! definitely a hall of famer, and the stripe matching at the pockets does not go unnoticed. I still don't know why others outside of Anderson & Sheppard neglect this great detail.

X post from Challenge - 2X2 stripes and dots

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
DC, look at the picture above. Does this really seem harmonious to you? Or even pleasingly discordant?

EDIT: Also, it again appears that you're wearing an orphaned suit jacket as an odd jacket. Not a good look.

This is an odd jacket and the other one too. If you don´t think so, that´s your problem.

If there is every single word critically observed, it´s better for me to quit here.

Style is not only a thing to dress well, it´s also to deal with each other well.

If you're not interested in feedback on what you're wearing, then probably is best that you quit here. Just because a jacket is sold without pants it doesn't make it an odd jacket. But, even if it did, it doesn't change the appeal of what you've combined here. I'll repeat my questions:

Does this really seem harmonious to you? Or even pleasingly discordant?

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoa, man. You need to chill out.

What's the point of StyleForum? For people to dress nice and nit-pick every detail. It's also the internet, so build up some callous and deal with the comments you don't like, there are sure to be plenty. Especially when you act so high and mighty.

"It is also to deal with each other well.." - Maybe practice that yourself a little bit. Nobody was really a dick to you. If you can't handle those remarks, you really really should leave.

DonCologne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're not interested in feedback on what you're wearing, then probably is best that you quit here. Just because a jacket is sold without pants it doesn't make it an odd jacket. But, even if it did, it doesn't change the appeal of what you've combined here. I'll repeat my questions:

That´s the point: I have no problems with criticism. But only say: "Hey thats not a good look" or ask me question is not a real criticism.
Do you really think I choice that combo if I answered both questions with "No"?

So what makes the discordant for you? Which parts will you change for a more harmonious or pleasingly discordant look?

Last edited:

manchambo

Reaction score

I think people have been pretty even (and accurate) with their comments. You reject and argue with everything. The purpose of this thread is to receive constructive criticism, not to say everything looks great. If you don't want that, you're right that you probably shouldn't post in here. It's a shame though, because you obviously have components to it together some very nice fits but, like virtually everyone, you could use some work on fit and combinations.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That´s the point: I have no problems with criticism. But only say: "Hey thats not a good look" or ask me question is not a real criticism.
Do you really think I choice that combo if I answered both questions with "No"?

So what makes the discordant for you? Which parts will you change for a more harmonious look?

The useful critique is that the jacket looks like an orphaned suit jacket and that such a look doesn't work. I didn't merely say that I didn't like it. As for the lack of harmony, the combination of the checked shirt with seersucker pants is jarring and unpleasant. I asked you because sometimes we put together things and, with the benefit of posting the picture, time, and some feedback, we can see things differently. Apparently you do not. Which is fine, but I doubt you will find many who will agree with your assessment of the combination.

For example, I have posted combinations about which I am unsure. Sometimes I become more convinced of the rightness, and other times I conclude I've missed the target.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We are just suggesting that it's not a good look. I don't think we should explain what constitutes a nice odd jacket everytime we say that, as there's plenty of info in the forum.

But to make things short, it looks like an orphaned suit jacket because it is solid grey, and has no rusticating features to help it look more like an odd jacket (patch pockets, throat latch, etc). Even if it did, it would need to be blue to look like a blazer.

If not dark blue/navy, odd jackets are better off with a pattern, preferably bold enough to distinguish it from a suit. Subtle patterns like a glen check with low contrast are common for suitings rather than odd jackets. Pinstripes and chalk stripes are usually suitings too. And worsted wool is usually reserved for suits, unless it comes in a bold pattern, wich could make a nice spring odd jacket.

In reality, it's much more complex than that (think camel hair odd coats, etc.) , but it's a good starting point. I learned through my own mistakes and being critiqued here, and I'm sure I still dress like crap - but at least I think I do have a much more solid foundation than when I first came here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads