1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Just look at what you've done, Claghorn! You ruined StyleForum with all of this thumb whoring. Just wait, soon the B&S adds will say "$500 via Paypal or 20 thumbs". Geez...

4 people like this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

the best way not to get thumbs is to ask for them. also, if you ask for them, they dont really count. unless you do it privately.

also, HERE IN THE USA BLACK WATCH IS NOT FORMAL!!!! SO THERE!!!!!!!!

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Several folks have asked for thumbs to get over 20 (and received them). Again, not sure I mind. Builds good will and all that.

4. in stitches

well, indeed i have been one of those givers, but i would bet that it breeds more unspoken ill will than good will. just my hunch.

5. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

@DerekS & @clarinetplayer - very nice jackets, gents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB
    Kamakura
    Knottery
    Vintage
    Incotex
    VTG Florsheim

21 people like this.
  6. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

I begged for some thumbs up for my last fit post but it had nothing with another thread. I just wanted to go above 20. If someone asks for thumbs up but their fit sucks, I am not giving thumbs up. I hope others do that as well. I will not beg for anymore thumbs up.

But $10 paypal payment for 1 thumbs up sounds like a good business plan.

7. in stitches

DONT STOP BEING YOU, RUDALS!!!!!!! ASK FOR WHAT YOUR HEART DESIRES!!!!

nice job with the closed button pose, CD.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  8. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

As someone who has (indirectly, and fairly unintentionally) solicited thumbs today, I am pleased that people had enough good will towards me to push the total up to 20 (at present), but take the implicit judgment of quality less seriously than I might had the phenom happened of its own accord.

2 people like this.
  9. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand why the social reaction is surprising. Two curated threads have been started recently, one based upon thumb count and the other based upon an individual's judgment. The first, perhaps, is an attempt at objectivity, and the second proclaims no such. Foo has debated ad nauseum on whether style can be objectively judged but voting certainly does not ensure objectivity, especially when those votes can be for everything from popularity (I'm sure there is a power law function in here somewhere), friendship, kinship, or an awesome accessory.

Today saw UpperCrust receive 20 thumbs for the first time, and perhaps that is because it was noted in discussion, but how many of his outfits are not worthy of recognition?
    As for my own fit receiving the requisite thumbs for 'elevation' I appreciated the act, but do not pretend it is meaningful (nor did I ask for it). Rudals sought out my fit as a kind gesture, and I accept that for what it was.

I actually belong to the camp that preferred commented thumbs so that attaboys didnt clutter up the thread.

10. in stitches

for teh record, i gave the crust-meister a thumb without being prodded.

11. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

I would like to be associated with the words of the last speaker

12. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

And it is testament to the changing social norms that you feel open to share that with us. [​IMG]

13. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

I gave the crust man a thumb but he promised to prod me after.....Thats what i love about SF...you give and you get!

2 people like this.
  14. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should request a new forum feature from fok (wow, the illiteration)...I suggest it be termed the reach-around.

2 people like this.
  15. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

durty.

I'm amazed that Crusty hasn't scored higher than 20 thumbs prior but I do have a theory. He always dresses so well. It's like having steak for breakfast everyday. You need to have some soggy wheaties to remember how delightful the steak is. I forgot who said it but I still chuckle about it - They want to be Crusty when they grow up. [​IMG]

16. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

IM IN!

i know stitch is in too...he never turns down a reach around.

17. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

Thank you, gentlemen.

Stitchy's very evolved.

Yes, and I'll prod you within an inch of your life, and you'll love it.

My, whatever does that mean???? . . .

My honorary title is "as usual", and you know, that's just fine. As for becoming me when one grows up, I reiterate that chronology is inevitable, but that maturity is entirely optional - in the world of cyber-sartorialism, I'm still growing up, and I am certainly enjoying playing and experimenting.

3 people like this.
  18. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

19. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

If you looked like cr@p, then I would not have given you thumbs up. Sometimes good fits get buried in discussions. I went back reviewed your fit and liked it so I gave you thumbs up (for $10).

While we're on the subject of thumbs up, I think people judge objectively here. Who knows if some popular members get more thumbs up than others. I've not noticed that.

There are days when I'd get like 4 thumbs up and there are days I go 10+.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  20. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Inflation! Maxminimus still only charges a "dollah" for his kindness/wisdom/wit. But I'm glad you liked my outfit. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.