1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

Come on IS, you're way better off not bothering with this kind of thing.

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

#trufax

Sometimes things need to be said. This was one of those times. The question was rhetorical.

1 person likes this.
  3. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

X-post

9 people like this.
  4. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

38R,

I think a lighter vest might be kinda cool. You're playing with contrast ranges, which are kind of sacrosanct (you might call them a "sacred cow"), but I think you could push it even further.
    But, dude, if you truly "don't give a fuck," then you don't post selfies. If you give just one, you post a selfie and you're outie 5000. [​IMG]

5. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

You know, if you don't stop picking on the Colorblind, you will run afoul of the Americans With Disabilities Act.

3 people like this.
  6. sansimeon

sansimeon Well-Known Member

Challenge x post:

9 people like this.
  7. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support yesterday, guys. Appreciate the kind words. Today, and x post to challenge. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Zegna Borrelli (I has a sad about this shirt -- discovered the beginnings of collar fray this morning. :( ) Drake's Drake's Trafalgar Inco Panthy Meermin

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    5 people like this.
  8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Yesterday's fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS and tie are a little more matchy than I'd hoped. I pretty much exclusively wear this PS since it goes with everything and is fun.

Is there a name for this style of tie? I don't think it's Madder, is it?

5 people like this.
  10. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

^^

That kind of paisley/stripe thing is kind of a '70s look. The texture of that could be madder (which is a printing technique, not a type of pattern). I don't generally do two paisleys together, but this actually works pretty well. It's matchier than SF likes, but I don't think it's too far in that direction.

The '70s tie, tweed trousers, and jodphurs are pretty cool together, and balance each other out. I'd say this is the kind of thing that gets across a lot of personality (whether the messages it sends are the ones you want to send is another issue), but which is basically classically tasteful. Of course, my quirkiness tolerance is pretty high.

1 person likes this.
  11. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

That jacket appears to fit you better than others I've seen, which indicates you're starting to dial in fit. The trou are nice and neutral and go well with the jacket, while also having some textural interest. They may be a bit too textured for that jacket, but I'm willing to go with it. Socks look nicely contrasted as well. The tie isn't my style and is a bit light overall for the fit. The colors in the PS aren't the problem it's the scale. It's quite large and is in tension with the tie. I suspect at that scale it might be in tension with anything but a solid.

One piece of advice that's stuck with me (though I rarely seem to actually achieve it -- intentionally or otherwise) is not to let any aspect of the fit shout. Here, the PS and the tie are having a shouting match with each other.

Also, if you're inclined toward button collar shirts, as and if you're able, I'd upgrade. J Press does a nice button collar that gets a decent roll. Older Brooks does as well, as do some of the Neapolitans. All command fair prices on Ebay, but you're most likely to find a J Press that slips through, especially if it's "classic fit." Those can very easily be slimmed at the side seams -- easily done yourself or relatively inexpensively at your local tailor.

Hard to tell if the tie is true madder, but I doubt it. True madders are usually on gum silk (though not always), and that doesn't look it. The colors are close to the madder family, but I'd just call it loud paisley with muted colors.

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I don't think that's correct. I think madder refers to the dyes, so it's correct to ask whether it's madder colors. Madder and ancient madder are usually printed on gum silk, but I think that's primarily because the soft, muted colors nicely complement the matte finish of gum silk.

13. Tibor

Tibor Well-Known Member

Flawless. In my eyes the black tie and the brown shoes work together properly, as does the whole entire outfit.

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

thanks you kindly, tibor.

---

SB - pents are gray or beige?

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Though I follow this thread daily, I rarely take the time to post my own fits. The challenge this week was something I wear on such a regular basis, I found a few minutes to take a couple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  16. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that madder dyes tend to produce a matte finish which is complemented by the matte finish of gum silk. I have madder ties printed on fine silk twill which still have a very matte finish, but less chalkiness than the ones on a more robust silk.

17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I would say that they are light/medium brown.

18. in stitches

well, that better than what i was afraid of. in the full pic they look darker than mid gray and dont provide much contrast to the SC, but in the lap pic ( :uhoh: ) its much better looking.

19. arnathor

arnathor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jacket - McGregor of Canada, made by Coppley
    Shirt - Borelli
    Tie - Recent Harry Rosen
    Unseen - Grey Coppley Trousers & J&M Oxblood Dub Monks.

Forgive me for the Mac Store lighting and colour cast. Jacket is a traditional khaki brown, thrifted today with pockets still sewn shut for $10. I can't say no to peak lapels.

20. in stitches

not feelin it.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.