1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

Actually, just the opposite.

[​IMG]

Angle is a bit off, but is the whole thing just too big?
    Very nice, RD.

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

cotton D, i fear that jacket is indeed too big. does not flatter you like your other jackets.

3. Cotton Dockers

Thanks, IS. That's sort of what I was afraid of. Wonder if there is any chance in fixing it.

4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i doubt it. it looks to need so much work that even if it can be fixed, it would likely not be worth the expense.

shoulders look big, arms look big and too long, the quarters look too closed... its just too big all around imo.

:(

1 person likes this.
  5. J011yroger

J011yroger Well-Known Member

Thanks!

J

6. J011yroger

Is that a Polo jacket?

I have two very similar ones, and they fit perfectly unbuttoned, but when fastened they are suddenly all out of sorts and don't lay right. The edges roll and all manner of stuff happens.

I agree yours looks too big, but it is passable when open, then when buttoned looks all out of sorts.

I've taken to wearing mine casually and open, sometimes with sweaters.

J

7. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Square got a little wonky. C'est la vie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

CD, I was referring to the shirt sleeves, but I suppose that's moot.

9. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

Yesterday. Shoes are beaters. It's still nasty out, but I'm tired of wearing boots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a compliment!

11. Cotton Dockers

Ah, yes. In that case, you are correct.

I like everything but the tie here, it seems a little bright maybe? The particular shade of the pants is great, as is the cardigan.

12. An Acute Style

You and shugz said the same thing about this tie the last time I wore it. Any recs as to what it would look good with? I actually had a brown/black glen plaid tie on and changed to this tie. There is royal blue in the pocket square and I added the silk knot to tie it all in. Oh, well.

13. An Acute Style

Today. The shirt is pink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  14. beneven

beneven Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback; I was aware when dressing that this particular bar was a little wide for the tie--it's one of the slimmer ones I own, however the bar is the only one I have as I keep losing my smaller ones [​IMG]

For some reason I like the bars a little higher when wearing an SC, don't know why but I just like the look--just personal preference, I guess. I like the idea of creating a horizontal line in the chest area, it's a nice detail to me--as much aesthetic as functional. That being said, the placement was a little high--I did in fact lower it a little over the course of the day.

Again: thanks for the feedback--much appreciated!

15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Go with a black knit on this. Adding a pattern to this is incongruous with the textural variations that you're playing with. A knit side steps this. The black serves to ground and draw the eye to the middle, at which point things are balanced. This is the opposite of what that shiny blue on blue tie is doing. That tie looks so bright that it pushes my eyes away.

16. J011yroger

My unsolicited two cents, to me that is a nighttime city tie, and your outfit is a daytime countryish, quasi professorial one.

I don't love the tie, but if I had to wear it, I would do so with a dark outfit out on the town. With a solid suit or velvet jacket out to a martini bar or the like.

Anywhere a twenty something girl in a black dress that barely reaches below her buttocks looks out of place, that tie will look out of place.

J

17. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Epaulet suit
    mtm shirt
    Ashland (Epaulet x Gitman) tie
    Loake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  18. An Acute Style

I'm wearing a paisley pocket square, a cable knit vest and a camo watch strap. I don't think a patterned tie is out of place here. I admire black knit ties though I don't own one. I don't think they're a fix all and I don't think one would look good here at all with all the browns and blues. I could be wrong though.

This is a Brooks Brothers BB#5 repp tie. The tie is super trad. If ever a tie was not a nighttime tie (whatever that meas) this is it IMO.

19. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

You're wearing a solid jacket, a solid shirt, a solid cardigan, and solid corduroy's. All of these have a very dull/matte/dry finish. You are wearing a paisley square and camo watch band, but these resolve to being solid at a distance. Your socks - given that they're alternating the same basic color of different lightness - will also resolve to solid, especially in motion. Colorwise there is little rhyme or reason, but your consistency in this would seem to indicate that you're indifferent to it.

Given the rest of the pieces though, something needs to ground things out. It needs to be subdued to match the sort of faux-country thing that's going on otherwise. It needs to have textural interest in a way that sits with the other things you've got on. Similarly, the color needs to be something that can - to whatever extent possible - bring some harmony to the discord. A black silk knit (or grenandine, which is just a specific knit) will accomplish these things. Because it's silk, it will maintain a certain smooth shine, but the light will be broken up and dulled by the knit. The wool-silk-cotton difference will serve to keep it independent from the shirt, jacket, and vest. The black will serve as that sink in the middle to draw the eye so that as the other pieces appear in the periphery around it they create a sort of balance.

It's possible that there's a better color for this, but given that you've forgone a white shirt here, something which sits in the middle of all the colors while still creating the necessary contrast is called for. Black certainly does that. Perhaps black with some grey, but not shiny bright blue on top of a lighter shiny bright blue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    4 people like this.
  20. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

^ Yes, but now it's not an acute style anymore...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.