1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HenryFlower

HenryFlower Well-Known Member

Après le feu d'artifice Ã[​IMG]clairci le ciel Tuesday:

This should something more like: Mardi, apres le feu d'artificie elaira le ciel. The grammer is probably still wrong, but at least it doesn't have the 4th happening on a Tuesday. In France, it would be Vendredi, apres le... eclairera...., and this would clearly be a picture from the future.

[​IMG]

Shy cuff syndrome on Vox?

I like the picture you posted to CBD better.

2. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

- B

Band-aid is killer sprezz.

I respectfully dissent. The band-aid is too close a match to the suit for sprezzatura. Sprezzatura can be defined as the taking of extra care with one's attire in order to make it appear that one dressed with a certain carelessness. I venture a guess that no particular care was taken here regarding the color/tone of the band-aid vis-a-vis that of the suit, resulting in a close match that could, to the uninitiated observer, connote the taking of extra care to achieve a match, i.e., anti-sprezzatura. That is not to discount the possibilty of reverse anti-sprezzatura which can be practiced only by an individual so well known for sprezzatura that he can plan a match of this sort knowing that it will be taken by observers as accidental or careless, i.e., sprezzatura.

3. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

There was some discussion a month or two ago about a "Liberal Business Dress" thread but some were concerned that we would have too many WAYWRN threads....

I liked the idea. I guess, as always, the question is, "how do you define it" to keep the thread on track. Although, it certainly could evolve.

As the art of full on dress for business is simply not widely accepted nor practiced in the US any longer I also think there should also be a third thread devoted to the 'classically based' casual and business casual fits that fall outside of full on CBD.

Just some random thoughts from a newbie.[​IMG]

4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

- B

i like the look. i know, big surprise right.

im guessing its linen. do the wrinkles in the elbow bother you at all, i know its almost impossible to prevent it. i have a hard time when my suit does that, its kind of a pet peeve of mine, i end up pulling on my sleeves all day to try and smooth them out.

i also prefer sponge bob band aids

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

6. Achillus

Achillus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    - B

A risky suit, because of the colours. However i would take a different colour pocket square. This one is matching to mutch with your blazer.

7. PandArts

PandArts Well-Known Member

New linen suit in prep for up coming trip to NOLA this month.

[​IMG]

8. A.J.V

A.J.V Well-Known Member

It's not easy to be a rookie round here at the moment...
    today [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. voxsartoria

10. A.J.V

A.J.V Well-Known Member

New linen suit in prep for up coming trip to NOLA this month. [​IMG]
    Really nice pic. And a great looking suit!

11. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

So I don't get it. Is spoo's purple tie not an analogous color? And if so, why is it wrong?

Is the secret something to do with saturation?

You have to take into account how we are looking at the tie. I have two monitors at the moment which each show the tie differently. These are both different from the depiction on the monitor that I was looking at the post from originally. The viewing apparatus everyone uses will affect how the combination is seen.

The question is then: What is the true relationship between the colors in the palate? Based upon previous observations, my guess would be that the tie actually pops more IRL than it does on either of my monitors. This is because, while the violet is more pronounced on this monitor, it also turns the suit indigo rather than navy, which is what I would imagine the color of the suit is (although I would not put it past Spoo to rock an indigo suit successfully).

In any case though, the question is less of a critique and more of a curiosity. Generally speaking I think that Spoo combines colors very well and that IRL this probably does not look amiss. Whatever the case is though, my question then becomes "Why was this choice made?" Navy suit? Standard. Blue/White (Bengal?) stripe shirt? My first thought is that a white shirt might work better, but as you can see in one of the pictures it seems rather bright out, and the stripes seem to serve to mitigate the glare and keep the shirt from being too bright. That might be the reason, it might not, but it suffices to me as justification for why such a choice would be acceptable. The PS and shoes break the monotony without getting out of line, and so then the question of how to tie the whole thing together arises, which I would imagine (and it looks like on this brighter monitor) it does.

12. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Looks good, Pand. You know, you can smoke in bars down here. [​IMG]

Send me a PM if you have time and want to get together.

Mike

13. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

these \\/

One of the best things that you've ever posted, Pandy. Wouldn't change a thing.

- B

as for this

Mike

watch out he will drink you under the table and steal your sunglasses

14. MBreinin

MBreinin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

- B

Makes me want to bust out the FSC.

Mike

15. voxsartoria

16. Qpoint

Qpoint Member

Really? I wouldn't have thought that from the pic. In any case, that's the whole point of a suit, to hide flaws and trick the eye into seeing a more Hellenic ideal. I'm not sure specifically what needs to be done, but I'm SURE you can get a better cut on a suit to make you look better. Can anyone please hope me here?

100kg/1.78cm

At the moment I'm on weight-loss mission. I'll not invest heavily in Clothing. The plan is to be in better shape for Spring/Summer 2012, then I'll go MTM/bespoke with some of my warderobe. [​IMG]

17. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Great stuff, Vox, Panda, and AJV. Has anyone seen Midnight in Paris? Nostalgia is the theme. Also, does anyone remember the very first post on the very first WAYWRN? I believe it was Branford or someone else saying he was wearing shorts and sneakers. I tried to check this, but Vox is right. The first WAYWRN thread is missing.

18. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

I humbly submit my entry into today's impromptu khaki suit ensemble, fully expecting to finish a distant third unless someone elses puches me further down the standings!

Cotton/linen suit is heavier than expected but doesn't wrinkle much, and will look better with lighter coloured shoes which are expected soon:

[​IMG]

PS too matchy, next time it will be blue:

[​IMG]

19. PandArts

PandArts Well-Known Member

One of the best things that you've ever posted, Pandy. Wouldn't change a thing.

- B

Ahhh shucks you got me all misty! [​IMG] But seriously cheers!

Cheers and it only took me 10 shots to get this on [​IMG]

Mike

Cheers Mike...can't wait! This will be my cherry-bustin' trip [​IMG]

these \\/

as for this

watch out he will drink you under the table and steal your sunglasses

Thanks...I've been training but just might leave the sunglasses at the hotel just in case [​IMG]

EDIT: Thought I'd just throw the deets in on the suit...Never heard of the brand before 14th & Union but it's 100% linen and was $100.00 on clearance at The Rack + $10 for the hemming.

20. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1.75" cuff, and this would be fly-ass-pimp! [​IMG] Still awesome, though! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.