1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

Naw, leave them toilets alone. Too much work for just some pix. I have one of those ties that have raw roughness and I have to say I dislike it.

I missed the discussion on black grenadines. If I ever wear a black tie, it would be a pin dot.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

Just be ready for some constructive criticisms and don't flee. I think new member retention rate is like less than 5% in WAYWRN.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Excellent first pic, Tweedy. I know the tie is a bit overexposed in the pic, its a darker shade IRL. Get that pic in natural light and it will be even better.

2 people like this.
  4. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Well-Known Member

I thought about it, I had the RJ one in my hand, and there was a Zegna one too which wasn't exactly pin dot, more a larger polka dot, but it had a pattern around the dots that I didn't really like, so I got the RJ one instead (plus the RJ one was half the price).

I think Lapo Elkann wore it best.

And I have to say, I love the raw silk ties. I have about three or four of them.

5. eviltimeban

For me, the knot is just a little on the big side. Would like to see better pics of this tie as it looks right up my alley.

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Cheers Stitch...I've seen the nice pic of you sporting that very tie where it looked good, so this was a safe first choice. Yes, in fluorescent lighting, not good. Pouring outside alas.

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

rain is the number one enemy to good fit pics. :mad:

thankfully, it stopped for long enough for me to snap a few this morning. :D

8. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

Aren't you likely to drown in a 44L??? :nest:

9. TweedyProf

@eviltimeban

It is, as Stitch says, darker IRL. It does knot on the larger size, but I would say it is a substantial knot not a bulbous knot (definitely FIH, which is my knot of choice). The silk is a dry and stiff, but it knots nicely.

Here's the link at Conrad Wu:

http://www.conradwu.com/products/olive-shantung

On my screen, Conrad's pic makes it darker than it actually is.

And here's a pic of the knot (still lighter than IRL). If Stitch has his pic handy, he could link to it. I saw it in a thread where he was putting a similar fit to Spoo, and so I am thereby imitating Stitch, or perhaps imitating him imitating Spoo...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. TweedyProf

I always wonder who is on the other side of that camera?

And...did I miss the pics?

11. eviltimeban

Its a lovely tie, I see the colour now. We were just talking about raw silk, and I really like those. It certainly is 'substantial', however I think even 10% smaller would suit the collars better. It might be just my sensibilities, but big tie knots just remind me of UK Premiership football players...[​IMG] (it might also just be the angle of the shot)

12. in stitches

yes. :(

that would be my wife. who is kind enough to snap my pics, despite the fact that she really would rather not.

noap! have not posted yet.

also, as you requested.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Thanks. "Kamikaze stripes" is a new phrase to me; I'd call this type of stripe "tramlines". Did kamikazes wear that kind of stripe? The tie is fairly old, and from a now-defunct chain. And definitely not SF-approved: purple, but with some slight green iridescence. [​IMG]

Probably a bit more acceptable to most today:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. TweedyProf

15. TweedyProf

I think the pic does exaggerate abit the size of the knot, but it is a bit larger than my other silk ties. It would benefit from a slightly bigger tie gap (higher collar in the front), which I aim to have in my next set of shirts.

Given that the silk on the tie is a bit stiffer, I might have made it unlined instead. Maybe I'll make that suggestion to Conrad, he's active and seems like a nice guy.

Too big a knot for you to go for it?

16. in stitches

:)

---

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  17. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

You are not alone in that opinion, and more generally, people seem to prefer lighter suit colors on me than charcoal or navy. Must have something to do with my "impossible to tan" complexion :(.

1 person likes this.
  18. in stitches

interesting. i would not say that todays suit is of a particularly light shade, but it is lighter than a dark navy or charcoal. either way, looks great. also, i dont tan either. :(

19. tcbrgs

tcbrgs Well-Known Member

stitches where do you have your jackets made? very clean outfit fits as usual

20. in stitches

thanks, man. most of my stuff is actually RTW/OTR. the jackets of today and yesterday are both zegna. i actually think they are bit big in the body and could use a nipping. i have another zegna as well, some isaia and borrelli. the only items that i have had made for me are 3 suits. one from tiberias custom clothing (not sure they still are up and running) and two from panta.

having stuff made for you is neat, but i dont think id ever abandon RTW. a good mix of both is where its at for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.