1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

pB and other would know better, but lighter buttons will help (patch pockets too, but you can't change that).

But note: most people in the real world won't notice the difference. If you post here, people will. I have a lovely Caruso navy jacket for Hartwood that I thrifted, part of a suit which I happily wear all the time as an orphan (someone in NYC has exactly my measurements...if your old jacket had a pink lining...well I have it!). No one around me (unless secret SFers) knows the difference and I don't worry about it. If it looks good, then fine. But then, I don't post pics of it here either. Someday, I might swap out smokey MOP buttons, but really who has time...

I agree, however, on the pocket square.

1 person likes this.
  2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are that it is so warm (during this, the coldest weather in a generation) that you ditched your usual three-piece suits for something lightweight...but it makes me hate you, and therefore I hate your outfit! I hope a melting cherry Popsicle stains those light pants!

1 person likes this.
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

As stated slightly different buttons, can be lighter, but doesn't have to be. Patch pockets. Also the fabric can be a bit different, not a twill like typical suiting, something like cashmere, hopsack, tweed, etc.

Also, in my mind they can have a bit more prominent handwork like lapped seams and such. The italians tend to lap and pick stitch everything, but it seems that for a bit more casual stuff they make it look a bit more prominent.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

Great, thanks for all the help guys! Fabric is a hopsack, so I will swap out the buttons and call it good. Any button suggestions for this jacket? I did some reading and brown horn and smoky MOP seem to be some favorites. I'm leaning toward brown horn to pair with this hopsack.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I would go with brown.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

I really need your help, guys. This is absolutely out of my comfort zone but this is an attempt at "diversifying" my look. The lighting isn't ideal but here's what I am wearing:
    Dark navy blue suit
    Blue pin stripe shirt that Claghorn hand picked out for me
    Green(?) tie with white and pale blue pin dots
    I really would like your thoughts on this. Appreciate it.
    [​IMG]

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Cool pants.

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Cheers, mate!

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the weave of the tie with the squares in the pattern, but I like all the colours together. If it's out of your comfort zone you must be a very conservative fellow :)

2 people like this.
  11. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Rudals, you've got the shirt, suit, and square right, but that tie isn't doing it for me. Probably the fancy pattern (multicolored dots plus a self-colored grid).

12. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

so I am guessing a simple pin dot or a solid tie would be a better choice? I am thinking purple or a green/teal

13. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Well-Known Member

Apparently, you killed it every day. Way to represent!!!!

14. Claghorn

The first sentence is right. The second is all kinds of wrong, though a nice wine might work.

Teal is never the answer, unless you're sugarbutch. And he only keeps that as a memento of his days as an underground cage fighter.

1 person likes this.
  15. sugarbutch

I'm struggling to remember a tie of mine that makes you associate me with teal. Help me out?

16. Claghorn

It caused a kerfuffle in the Good Taste thread. I think it has stripes.

17. sugarbutch

Oh, that. I wouldn't call that teal. That's more of a sky blue. But it certainly did cause a stir.

1 person likes this.
  18. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

I freaking hate this tie that I got today

19. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Post 999, so I can start in with the gratuitous crotch shots now.

Thanks for the comments and the thumbs, gents.

Pliny, I think a plain oxford shirt is the way to go with this coat, and I agree that wrapping two patterns around two solids isn't always quite right
    HC, you recall correctly -- I am both pale and redheaded. I don't think I wash myself out too much. My hair is a shade lighter than that of the Drakes guy (whose name I too forget), or the ginger from the Armoury, so I aim for slightly lower contrast than would look great on either of them.

Nevertheless, here's some navy (hidden gray trousers and burg longwings):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be switching locations in a few days, so I might just be including more shots where you can, you know, see a person, not just clothes from the neck down.

Rudals, that kind of tie has never appealed to me, but it's hardly bad in that context.

luv2be, I tend to think that the more casual details on a navy blazer, the better. I'm wearing mine quite formally, but I don't think there's anything that could make it more casual in-and-of itself, without getting weird. This one is hopsack, with two patch and flap pockets, 5/16" swelled edges, and dull-finish brass buttons. It's one of those things that works because it works, not because it totally makes sense for it to work.

3 people like this.
  20. sugarbutch

Rudy Rude, I have a proposal for you. Let us pick some ties for you, and you buy them. Give us the general scope of where, when, and with what you'll wear them, and we'll tailor the selection to meet your needs. Deal?

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.