1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, you two are probably the toughest critics on this thread, which is fine, as it helps to keep standards high.

Nevertheless, I'm going to counterbalance your negs on AAS on this occasion by stating that while I find his fits quirky, not very WAYWRN-PC, and occasionally way too busy, I really do admire the consistency of his style. He is one of the closest things we have here to a true dandy - and I mean that in the nicest sense of the term.

Anyway I'm relieved neither of you have turned your attention too closely to any of my own efforts. Possibly you just didn't know where to start. (Also, I haven't had time to post much recently.) I would be genuinely curious to know what does meet your approval in the way of classic men's style.

1 person likes this.
  2. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

I like good vintage styling, but this jacket is just too small. You can see that the cloth is straining around the button and that the jacket opens up too much below the button.

I guess your unnatural pose is due to the fact that you try to compensate by pushing your shoulders forward. In short, you get the George Raft effect:

[​IMG]

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I like AAS's consistency, but he's simply doing his own take on the Ivy look, it's just that you see very few people doing it these days. He's not really a Dandy. Forum members who would qualify for that title, could include Label King, Barims/a (neither of whom don't really post here any more), Butler and TTO. As it happens, Barima is actually featured in the recent 'I am Dandy' book, and Butler and TTO were both seen at the London launch...

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

duplicate

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. timotune

timotune Well-Known Member

Saturday

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  6. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  7. SackSuitLover

SackSuitLover Well-Known Member

Very pricey sport jacket by Dolce & Gabbana (44 drop7 regular)
    trousers wool and cachemire by JosBank (38 long pleated)
    shirt by Paul&Shark (17)

[​IMG]

same things but with Brooks Brothers' Thompson hunter green corduroy pants (38W 34L)

[​IMG]

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

I really like that look on you DonCologne.

1 person likes this.
  10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I second this.

1 person likes this.
  11. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Well-Known Member

^^^ Agreed. I don't like checked shirts (other than gingham) but this looks great.

1 person likes this.
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I mostly like it, DC, but I think I'd like it better without the tie.

1 person likes this.
  13. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

EFV nailed it upthread: some nice details, but looks small on you esp. at the waist and probably the hips too (though the latter is difficult to be sure about until the waist fits better). Shoulders are built up, but they go rather well with your hat and general features if you're after a retro vibe... reminds me of some of those old b&w gangster movies. In fact - and there's precious few outfits that I say this with - if you were to ditch the multicoloured shirt for a plain white buttondown shirt but with an ascot, I think this could be a quite fun look.

1 person likes this.
  14. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Are those Blu Blockers?

1 person likes this.
  15. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bundling up for a Saturday morning. Scarf: "Howlin'" by Morrison.

2 people like this.
  16. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

A little chilly and windy today. Sorry the wind makes the fit look a little off. (Vent is always closed at rest on this jacket)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I chose the jacket first. I really like the fit of it and the fabric is heavy and warm. I chose the pants next. I've worn this jacket with wool trousers before and I felt that the formality level was a little too different. Instead I chose cotton cords this time in a contrasting color. Next I chose the shirt. Given the earthy tones and texture of the jacket a light blue oxford seemed to be the best choice. I think that I'd like to get some spread collar shirts in rougher fabric, but for now this ocbd is the best I have. I chose the shoes and belt next. Previously I have worn this jacket with some dark brown bluchers. After switching to cords I wanted to try a boot instead and see how it looked. I think boots are more in line with the hacking jacket tradition anyways (though not necessarily in this style.) Finally I picked the tie. A dark muted knit seemed to complement everything perfectly.

After trying on a bunch of jackets today, I think I have decided this is my best fitting one. I am going to start looking out for this brand more closely, as fit is very important. I am slightly concerned about the shoulders, not sure if they seem a tad too big. I'd be curious what you guys think of the fit. Please keep in mind that the vent is closed at rest, the wind is simply blowing it open. In fact I feel this jacket has one of the best waist to hip ratios of any of my jackets for my build and is partially why I am so keen on the fit.

Comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    3 people like this.
  17. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Out to dinner with the girls tonight, pre return to work/school last hurrah!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  18. bernoulli

bernoulli Well-Known Member

Brother's birthday in London. Girlfriend helped with all the wrinkles, thankfully. Tie is brown with small yellow dots, but not shiny at all IRL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  19. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

For Bernoulli -
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. bernoulli

bernoulli Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. Although I abhor things involving the military, I can't say I am careful tucking my shirts. That is the only issue on going out sans belt - I do it rarely but will keep an eye on better tucking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.