1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Well, most people don't. That's the fun of this forum, a space to think about such things. FWIW, I think I know a lot about dressing, but I am an authority on nothing. Just one man's perspective.

2. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

I appreciate any words, good bad and ugly, they're all helpful or offer perspective to consider at the very least. I'm just glad I have a decent shoe collection that was my starting point. I do need some split toes though.

2 people like this.
  3. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

These :nodding:

4. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Well-Known Member

Your collection is ahead of mine, kudos!

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

^^ An open mind and willingness to learn is a very large first step. If I had to distil shoe selection to an easily digestible rule, it'd be: Seams, ornamentation, texture and color are all in inverse relationships to formality. That is to say, the fewer seams / less ornamentation and closer to black it is (until it can get none more black), the more formal it is. Black plain toe wholecuts are at the far end of formality, and the shoes below (split toe, lizard slip ons) would be at the other. Oxfords more than blutchers/derbies; short wings more than long wings, etc.
    [​IMG] Size 7D and available, boys; COME AND GET 'EM!
    So I'd have opted for the gunboats. I don't necessarily agree with pB's views on spectators, but I will agree that, like a genetic predisposition, there's a higher propensity for error with spectators than with other shoes.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Aren't wholecuts quite informal?

I'd think they were around the level of a penny loafer, mostly because they're a relatively 'new' thing, or so it seems. I've read echoes of that sentiment elsewhere as well.

7. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks!

One last question. I was considering the green tie pictured here on the left. I'm thinking I would've been better off. If not, what kind of tie?

[​IMG]

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I love my various spectators, while I cannot contradict PB's assertion that they are "costumey". It takes a certain attitude and context to wear them. I.e. wanting to be deliberately ostentatious. Sometimes it's fun. Those longwings are lovely, and perfect for that suit. But I was down with the specs too. :)

Cleav: just stopped in London for an hour my old china; picking up the saucepan lids and on the frog and toad for most of the week visiting relatives. But one of these days I'll definitely invite you for a cup of Rosie Lee when I'm passing through!

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Well, even if they technically, "work" they still attract attention, and more attention than any shoe should in any situation in my opinion.

No. But I would say it is somewhat dependent on color, and last and such. The styling can definitely swing them, but traditionally they are formal. If you go back really far I would probably assume they were only worn with black/white tie in patent leather as they still are today. It might be traditionally "wrong" to wear them with a lounge suit. Just a guess, I could be totally wrong about that.

10. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

@mimo

Right you are me old china!

You going go the industrial north, then let me know lad!

11. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Braddock

Braddock Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  13. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

^Nice jacket Braddock. Who's the make?

1 person likes this.
  14. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

I can only concur that spectator shoes are both "costume-y", and needing a certain attitude and context. I hadn't worn mine for a long time, and as I was off work today, I donned not only mine (brown leather with tan suede instep) with a houndstooth jacket, navy odd trousers, a blue OCBD shirt, and a red bow tie. The effect was "retro" in the extreme. I enjoyed the effect, in any case.

2 people like this.
  15. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Very few folks in the office today (and I was only there for part of the day), so I decided to play around with some recent purchases and do a little 4 pattern bingo. I think I got a little too jiggy with it, and I don't think this cohered quite as well as I'd intended. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Orme de Portofino Thomas Pink Isaia Don't recall square Trafalgar Corneliani Panthy Alden
    So then I got home and my recently ebayed Borrelli arrived, so I decided to try it out. I think it would have made a better choice. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Hi YRR92

Sorry, on the road all day. "Discordant" wasn't the right word. The brighter color called attention to the PS, but I can understand this being a matter of one's taste. I am one of the few academics (maybe there are two of us) who wears a pocket square on my campus (and indeed, one of the few who wears a tie! maybe 20 of us). I don't like to call attention to my PS usually, but merely wearing one is enough to call attention to it! So, I tend towards more subdued tones in general and less contrast.

I do try to spend less than $15 dollars a PS, usually on ebay, but those Drake's were as cheap as I've seen them recently so thought I would alert folks here about them, since we've talked about them recently. Looks like they're all gone now.

17. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying, but the ur-PS is white linen. It stands out.

18. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Yes agreed. Not claiming high contrast is a deal breaker. As you say different ideals for different contexts.

19. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Great shoes! Model# if you don't mind? Or are they MTO (deets)?

20. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

New Tweedcoat with raglan sleeves

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.