1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

What the F#@k is that, omg that is tooo funny.

- oh, grey pants. hey i'm learning. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

That´s the difference:

Your last outfit
    [​IMG]

vs. AAS outfit
    [​IMG]

But I see you are one of the people who say this color is red, even when 100 other people say it´s blue.

1 person likes this.
  3. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

To be fair, I was only "thumbing" for the coat. I like AAS's provocative style, but not this particular edition that's a Black Watch past the line. :)

As for Mr 38: I liked your hunting jacket, didn't like your stripey shirt with it. Would be interested to see a full-length, and some more of what you've got.

N.B. Like or not, I didn't feel the need to insult either of you. Then again, I am wearing grey trousers today so I probably lack sufficient personality. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

+1

I think the shirt is out of line with the rest. An light blue (or even a white) shirt with not to much pattern and the outfit would be a real good one.

5. Roy Al

Roy Al Well-Known Member

Been awhile, still shady light, but just a few more days and it starts getting lighter. Slowly, slowly...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  6. Sprezziamo

Sprezziamo Well-Known Member

+ 1

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I know I still have more learning to do, but I think I've come pretty far, and early on, I really cherished the feedback that provided detail as to what went wrong. For 38R's benefit (since I'm pretty sure AAS breaks knows the rules he is breaking), I think the unifying concern here is the formality of the Keaton shirt (compounded with bold, city stripes in 38Rs case) and silk tie with the informality of the jacket and trou. Those elements are significantly discordant. For shirts, a solid broadcloth button down collar (which, again, makes sense since you wouldn't want your collar getting in the way when hunting) would be better, or, at most, a simple windowpane OCBD. As for ties, hunting jacket like 38Rs seems, to me anyway, most at home with a knit or, at most, plaid (preferably glen or field check) wool tie.

All just how I would approach it, and shared NOT to pick on anyone or :deadhorse: but solely in the hopes that I can try to do for another guy just starting out what some more patient folks around here did for me when I was starting out.

Edit: Oh, yeah, AAS: That overcoat is pure awesome.

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

+1

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

Smashing!

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

FWIW, you are both wearing the wrong shirt in your fits. But there are other differences that are rather important. The general impression of AAS is that he has both an understanding of fit and coherence and why he wants to break some rules. Not everyone here thinks he does so successfully by any means, and sometimes he makes outright mistakes that everyone will agree on. But he has a certain style. He's firm about that but open enough to listen and incorporate criticism without losing his style or becoming 'boring'. And he's a constructive, thoughtful, polite and valued member.

In contrast, you claim that you have style, more style than everyone else in fact. You claim you know the rules and have the clothes to carry them off, but you chose not to - because you have style. But you don't show us style. Your oufit here, like every outfit you have ever posted here that I have seen, doesn't give the impression of a 'next level', devil-may-care, rule-breaking dude, but of someone who needs to (re)learn how to dress at quite a basic level. It's not about being boring, it's not about having to wear grey trousers, it's about learning to know what looks good together (and when grey trousers might actually be the best choice not just the default option).

The first step BTW is to have the humility to recognise and admit that you really need to learn and not to disparage the possibility of learning. AAS understands this intimately and it's one reason he's both a better dresser and a better poster than you.

5 people like this.
  11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

All my cords have (something approximating) a crease. They don't hold it with the same intensity as, say, worsted wool trousers do but I prefer that to zero crease. Obviously, I wouldn't crease jeans, but I think cords - especially narrow wale cords - occupy enough of a middle ground to take them. Anyway, the world can judge for itself, as I'm wearing a pair of cords today.

The tie & square are fairly unpleasant to look at, though I can imagine the square working fine in a different context. The tie, not so much. And regulars here know that I wear some wacky (read: SF considers them exceptionally ugly) ties, such as today's. But I draw the line at this this one.

More fundamentally, the tie & square are party while the rest of the outfit is very sedate, so the combination struggles to work meaningfully. I half-suspect you chose them in order to lend some festive flavour to a conservative outfit so as to make it more suitable for the afternoon party you mentioned. That never really works.

Another consistently good outfit, Pingson. I get like you close to a holiday. I actually enjoy what I do a lot, but as soon as I get near a long break, suddenly I start to feel tired and can't wait for a few days off!

Getting in the festive spirit...

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Nice Pingson. You're done grading, and I'm still grading. How narrow are your ties? Is that one 8cm?

2 people like this.
  13. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

I would expect nothing less from you, SB. [​IMG]

Thanks, Cleav.

1 person likes this.
  14. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

AS and Tira are excellent examples of successfully executing the approach 38R espouses. And that they are both respected members is proof that there is plenty of room for that type of approach to be accepted.

It is infinitely harder and riskier than what I do, so like the outfits or not, I have immense respect for the sartorial whimsies of both posters. Labelking as well, though he was well before my time.

ETB, I may ask for royalties for that last pose.

Jason, I really liked the look on the left from afar, but the sheen of the tie and the fold of the PS don't work for me. I think TV folds are best reserved for white linen, and barring that, at least solid squares. A TV fold can't really show enough pattern to have any real effect, so ultimately it feels incomplete.

3 people like this.
  15. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Kind of awkward pose

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Well-Known Member

^ killer socks and shoes!

2 people like this.
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is what I'm interested in as well. I can throw on a suit in the rare occasions that I have to wear one, but for the day to day this kind of dress doesn't let me show my personality.

AAS' and Tira's approach is just way more in sync with what I want out of a dress wardrobe. Polished yet playful.

I love the more trad/business look that many of you gents have. It's awesome. You guys look friggin' great!

It's a helluva learning curve though!

18. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

pingson, great.

crusty, looking like a godfather.

mimo, nice top block, but tie knot needs help.

cleav, nice color, but i wonder if that is too large a PoW for a tie. ymmv

thanks for all the likes yesterday, gents.

19. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  20. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

Thanks HF! I really like the green SC with the red/burgundy(?) trousers. I would just prefer another tie (although I get what you are after) - a solid or regimental striped wool or cashmere tie would look smashing with that outfit.
    I usually go for 9cm ties, but that one is indeed 8cm. Berg & Berg (where the tie comes from) unfortunately only make their ties in 8cm width. This one looked so nice that I bought it anyway, but I always feel a little sting of sadness that it isn't wider whenever I wear it.
    :fistbump:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.