1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Not really, you can find visible stitching on the edge of the lapels on jackets from a great deal of tailors. For example, it's quite a popular detail on summer sport coats and suit jackets. I saw a beautiful SC from Boglioli the other day where the hand sewn seams on the lapels were one of the true high points in the composition of the garment.

I think I should be more specific as my simply worded statement about the stitching on the lapels did not adequately convey the entirity of what I meant.

First, I acknowledge that on odd jacket this detail is quite common - and that's one reason why it is a bit 'suspect' on a more formal suit jacket right off the bat.

Regarding it's use on a suit jacket perhaps I should have said that when done by a machine and on a suit of obviously not bespoke or of hand tailored quality the overstiched lapels only highlight the overall machine made quality of the suit. In other words - don't add a detail to the lapel that isn't needed. (I feel more or less the same way about adding machine done 'pick stitching' details as well. Even though it's becoming quite popular at the moment on 'upper end' ready to wear suits.)

Regarding the words 'lower end' perhaps it just reminds me of cheap suits from the 1970s and I should have used a more precise wording.

I apoligize if I offended anyone.

2. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Not really, you can find visible stitching on the edge of the lapels on jackets from a great deal of tailors. For example, it's quite a popular detail on summer sport coats and suit jackets. I saw a beautiful SC from Boglioli the other day where the hand sewn seams on the lapels were one of the true high points in the composition of the garment.

Whoa, don't hold back will you. That's my favourite suit too!

Suit is a 15 year old Crombie so maybe is outdated, but I don't care cos I love it.

Tie is a 10 year old Oz Boateng. Retro ...? yep. In a bad way..... maybe.

Inherited the Loake shoes from my favourite uncle so they're not going anywhere.

Shirt is Brioni and possibly the most beautiful thing I own.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm sorry to say that I have to agree about the suit's fit:

The shoulders are rippling from side to side, the sleeves are way too long.

It doesn't matter how name brand anything is if the fit isn't good.

However, if the fit is impeccible you can often get away with a lesser quality or a style that is not so current. But if it isn't well fitted you might as well just wear a nice shirt and jeans - as it would be more presentable.

Fit is first and foremost with suits - period.

3. W.R.

W.R. Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I recently joined the forum. It's just great!
    I decided to put my first post here. [​IMG]

Here is a very typical dark navy suit combination. (sorry for the blurry picture.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just sayin', way better than the majority of others' first posts. I'd like to see a pocket square.
    And, in the future, I think we all would like to see some pictures of your shoes.

Welcome!

4. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what I'm not wearing. I'm not wearing what I was going to go out to dinner with the Mrs. in. I saw myself in the new mirror and went "I couldn't post a fit pic of that." Now I have changed.

Thanks SF.

5. Cedric

Cedric Well-Known Member

Nice PAM!

6. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what I'm not wearing. I'm not wearing what I was going to go out to dinner with the Mrs. in. I saw myself in the new mirror and went "I couldn't post a fit pic of that." Now I have changed.

Thanks SF.

Aren't you going to post the new one, though?

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

You guys are going to make me go back to work early.

8. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I recently joined the forum. It's just great! I decided to put my first post here. [​IMG] Here is a very typical dark navy suit combination. (sorry for the blurry picture.) [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Perfect, love the tie, just take a bit more notice of your knot. My ESP tells me you work out in a gym & that helps a lot with your image & overall fit of the suit. I agree about the other comment of using a white shirt.

9. Navi

Navi Well-Known Member

Been lurking for a while so thought it was time I dived in and swam with the big fish. Not used to photographing myself so apologies for the quality. Didn't bother with a PS as it wasn't that sort of occasion.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I call bullshit Also Crombie if you're going to come here, post terrible outfits, then completely disregard all comments and critiques, why exactly are you here? For praise?

10. molayo

molayo Active Member

Your basic fit looks good - proportions, lengths, etc. (missing your shirt cuff on one side).

Some items for possible improvement in my mind would be - A plain white shirt would brighten up this monochromatic look. Your tie would look better with a center dimple instead of two side dimples. And last the next time you buy a new suit look for those without visible stitching around the edge of the lapel. This is generally considered to be a 'lower end' detail.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I will try a plain white shirt and a center dimple next time! You are right. This is a cheap one indeed. I just paid around $45 for it. [​IMG]

I saw a beautiful SC from Boglioli the other day where the hand sewn seams on the lapels were one of the true high points in the composition of the garment.

Yes, my boglioli suit has visible stitching on the edge of the lapels. I don't think it tells a low end. Rather, it becomes a kind of style.

Just sayin', way better than the majority of others' first posts. I'd like to see a pocket square.
    And, in the future, I think we all would like to see some pictures of your shoes.

I am a little bit conservative, so I don't usually wear a pocket square at work. But I will try it and take a close-up picture of shoes! Thanks!

Perfect, love the tie, just take a bit more notice of your knot.
    My ESP tells me you work out in a gym & that helps a lot with your image & overall fit of the suit. I agree about the other comment of using a white shirt.

Thanks for a good comment. [​IMG] I usually wear a blue shirt + a navy tie / a white shirt + a burgundy tie. It's time to change the habit!

11. Philip1978

Philip1978 Well-Known Member

Whoa, don't hold back will you. That's my favourite suit too!

Suit is a 15 year old Crombie so maybe is outdated, but I don't care cos I love it.

Tie is a 10 year old Oz Boateng. Retro ...? yep. In a bad way..... maybe.

Inherited the Loake shoes from my favourite uncle so they're not going anywhere.

Shirt is Brioni and possibly the most beautiful thing I own.

Thanks for the comments.

Troll/Puppet...............

12. mktitsworth

Aren't you going to post the new one, though?
    [​IMG] These are not details of the fit:
    [​IMG] So what are you doing then? [​IMG] It's the same thing we did last time. [​IMG] I am not being a part of this. [​IMG] Too late. I've already included you. [​IMG] Fine. so what is it about this time. [​IMG] Well, the sushi was pretty. Let's show that off. [​IMG] You realize you just repeated that last picture of yourself. [​IMG] I know, but there isn't a whole lot of me to work with here. [​IMG] Just show off the sushi.
    [​IMG]

13. mktitsworth

You guys are going to make me go back to work early.

I can't tell if that should be an "ouch" or not...

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

That's it! I'm buying some black pants.

15. binge

binge Well-Known Member

16. arvidg

arvidg Well-Known Member

Plase take off your hat. [​IMG]

Norwegian: Hatter skal ikke brukes inne. Uansett!

That's BS. At least the «uansett» part. What is this, the military? Or does that look like a church to you?

I was on my way in, and hadn't reached the office yet.

17. Kentishman

Kentishman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Best fit pic for a few pages.

18. IST66

IST66 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for comments and good advice! I will try to consider all remarks.
    Once again, thanks![​IMG]

19. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Here is a very typical dark navy suit combination. (sorry for the blurry picture.)

a typical one consists of black shoes.

20. Maccimus

Maccimus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wider lapels please..[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.