1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

'the villain' just killed the thread. T'was nice knowing you WAYWRN. May you rest in peace.

3 people like this.
  2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

Here is a small hint that may help you become more SF Compliant:

If the garment is flame retardant, it probably will not pass muster.

1 person likes this.
  3. Caustic Man

Oh believe you me, that wasn't heavy handed. Most of those folks went easy on you. Grow a thick skin, because you are going to get honest opinions. Funny thing is, just generally bad looks often get ignored. The REALLY bad ones get comments. I'm not trying to pile on, but we have unconventional dressers in here too. Think "Tirelleur1", "AnAcuteStyle", and I myself often dress against the grain (Although no one should look to me for inspiration because, as I have often said, I dress horribly). My point is, even if you were going for a "different" look, it still looked bad from a simple aesthetic standpoint.

1 person likes this.
  4. Caustic Man

It helps.

5. Caustic Man

1 person likes this.
  6. CommenceFailure

CommenceFailure Well-Known Member

Hey, The Villain. There are a bunch of reasons why this isn't working. Generally black suits wash people out and they probably should only be worn to funerals or a night out on the town, but the problem with your black suit is the vertical stripes and shine. Vertical stripes on suits imply a business suit, but this one certainly isn't. The shininess also hurts it, because generally shiny fabric implies low quality fabric. The suit has no basis in history, and therefore is sort of just nothing. At no time was that a proper kind of suit. If you want to wear a black suit out, I'd get a simple, well fitting, solid black suit. Or better yet charcoal because then you can wear it during the day too.

Contrasting vests can sometimes be okay, but probably only with casual outfits. Tweed and other country fabrics and colors lend themselves well, but not sleek city suits that you are wearing. Also a white suit vest isn't anything. Where did it come from? A white suit? because that's not a thing either.

Your shoes look like elf shoes and aren't very pleasing to the eye, probably because feet aren't shaped like that.

No one will love the tie you are wearing but, eh whatever, if everything else was spot on I guess I'd be fine with it. But giving it a dimple does give it more interest and character.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

well that explains half of it at least.

2 people like this.
  8. mezentius

mezentius Well-Known Member

Just a heads-up; Boss suits are hated here for their low build quality and ephemeral styling; Aldo are despised here.

As a general rule of thumb, if you're buying from a well-known brand, a significant percentage of your money goes into marketing and advertising, which is useless to the actual physical object, thus you're getting an inferior product. Makes sense, right?

9. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

10. mezentius

mezentius Well-Known Member

So your final objective is other people's validation based on your outward appearance? Fair enough. I can see now why you don't like this place, then.

1 person likes this.
  11. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Here we go again...

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

+1 ... jfc

2 people like this.
  13. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Well-Known Member

Decided to stay out of this until I saw this post

This.... is never a way to gauge whether you are well dressed or not.

6 people like this.
  14. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

Exactly. Ahem...

Friend:

Welcome to SF. However, please remember that you came here — we did not seek you out. Our forum, like any group, has norms. The Classic Menswear side of the forum has a particular set of established norms, and an even more specific set of "fit norms"* applies to this thread:

[​IMG]

Considering the first fit norm in the diagram, the fits you have posted thus far do not consist of quality pieces (see bolded items above) as most active participants here generally conceptualize "quality" in terms of classic menswear. Considering the second fit norm, the styles of pieces you have chosen are not traditional as most here generally conceptualize "traditional" in terms of classic menswear. Thus, you are currently a "deviant," but you also seem to understand that. You have requested feedback and you have acknowledged that the feedback you have received so far has been overwhelmingly negative as to both quality and tradition.

Finally, your fits are "individualistic" but you remain outside of even the Individuality fit norm in the chart above primarily because you are new here. Thus, it follows that you do not have any idiosyncrasy points against which to borrow by making statements such as those italicized above — they clearly indicate your current rejection of most, if not all, of the relevant forum and thread norms.

The tools with which to start educating yourself and, should you so choose, to also become a valued member of our community, are abundant here. I hope you seek out those tools (which would actually enable you to take the comments you have received thus far "under advisement"), but if you choose not to please expect (as others have already mentioned above) that you will soon simply be ignored.

"It is a wretched taste to be gratified with mediocrity when the excellent lies before us." - Isaac D’Israeli

* The chart is only generally illustrative at the highest level. Obviously there is a continuum and, by way of example, I am not stating that WGTT-approved fits are not individualistic. Instead, the "fit norms" and the convergent areas are, more practically speaking, areas of emphasis.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    10 people like this.
  15. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

[/quote] Your comments are indeed spot on, the white tie rig was acquired about 30 lbs ago. I've been meaning to get a new one for quite some time but have just not gotten around to it. I only wear it twice a year (official university banquets), so it has just never reached the top of the priority list. One day soon I will get around to it....
    Don't tell me you don't dress up for your anniversary?? :teach:

1 person likes this.
  16. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Well-Known Member

Quote: In this of all threads, something about ^ seems ironic.

2 people like this.
  17. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Well-Known Member

I think the tribal hand tattoo says it all really.

18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I also had a Venn Diagram in mind, but as it's simple, I think I will just describe it:

The SF ideal is probably somewhere around 1930s European aristocrat.

You are modelling yourself, by your own admission, on 1990s movie gangsters who marry prostitutes.

Both tend to wear suits. Beyond that, the overlap between the two sets is surprisingly small.

1 person likes this.
  19. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Once more, in pictures:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people would tell me to unbutton my bottom button if I had a jacket with a paddock cut.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.