1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

totally agree. perversely, I like my job and enjoy choking on my ties. (edit: okay, I don't enjoy it that much) I've been known to do a yoga class in a tie. Not hot yoga - Hatha, and it was outside, and kinda cold.

cheers man[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

it's a class thing. busmen, janitors etc wear navy. just one of those 'it is what it is' things in MC.

3. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the colour itself - we all wear navy suits after all.

It's that if you add a grey jacket, striped tie and black shoes, you can sometimes look like a schoolboy or a security guard or airline ground crew. But with Pingson's autumnal textures. lovely tie, perfect shoe choice etc. there's just no danger of his looking like anything other than a very well-dressed professor.

4. dsjoyce

dsjoyce New Member

I'm thinking of rocking this suit/tie/pocket square to a wedding, but am looking for shirt suggestions.
    I'm thinking it will need a pattern as the suit and tie are solid?
    Apologies for the general scruffiness!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

The shirt doesn't "need" a pattern just because the suit and tie are solid. There are plenty of all solid combinations that look great. I would avoid having the pocket square be the only pattern, but that may just be me. Now, as for the rest, I don't feel like your look will get much love here. The suit jacket is far too short. I can't tell if those are peak lapels, but microscopic peak lapels make me cringe. If they aren't peak lapels, they are still too small. The button stance is too high. It just generally looks too small for you, and ill fitting. I also hate the tie and PS in this context. I'm sorry to say that it looks like you have never worn a suit before, and simply threw something together from stuff you found at H&M.

2 people like this.
  6. dsjoyce

dsjoyce New Member

Haha that's a fair assessment, i've never had the need for suits. Im only begrudingly wearing one as it is! Thanks for the advice though, I might see what else I can dig up...

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

While I agree with the spirit of this post, it doesn't apply to my lifestyle, either socially or professionally. And while I understand what you're driving at, if I were to start wearing a tie 24/7, it would be noticed and the conscious effort would be seen as me drawing attention to myself. However, living in America and my circumstances may affect this. If it works for you, power to you. Enjoy.

I think the main thing I'm getting at is there is a huge disconnect in MC (and in the iGent culture in general) that being dressed up is the only way to be dressed well. To be completely honest, it's extremely easy to "dress up" tastefully. There are enough guidelines and soft rules that it baffles me how people can miss. I mean, even if you're insanely confused, a navy suit, white shirt, navy tie and white square will always be a tasteful default (just ask any Italian businessman). It's not rocket science.

The issue is that people think that a tie and coat is the only way to look good. However, they quickly get bored with what is safe and tasteful. And rather than turning to more creative and versatile casual wardrobe, they try to reinvent the wheel with crazy tie/jacket/shoes/pants combinations. Bottom line, without the "rules" they are lost. And the end result is a lot of the more recent posts in this thread. Disaster.

I don't mean to suggest that you (or anyone in particular) is clueless on dressing down. Or that you don't have your own style. However, to say, "I wear a tie everyday to my job as a window-washer, because a tie is the only way to dress well," seems to be more the rule than the exception. The best-dressed guys in the world are just as comfortable in a tuxedo as they are in jeans and a t-shirt. Over-compensating by over-dressing does no favors, and is less the mark of a well-dressed man, and more the mark of someone who only has a handle on dressing for the office.

It's no longer 1950 (whether you like it or not). And dressing like it is (whether you know it or not) marks you as affected at best, and a joke at worst.

4 people like this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

pliny, pingson, crusty, very nice.

i would agree for the most part. unless there is a potential direct impact on me, in a way that i do not want, based on how i am being perceived, i generally wear whatever it is that i prefer to be wearing at that moment in time. but, often times, weather we want to admit it or not, dressing a certain way in many scenarios does affect us. and it is important to be mindful of that. sometimes we like to pretend that it does not matter, when in reality it does.

sure, the opinion of the random dude in the seat next to you at the move does not matter, but when in the company of non random people, be it family, at work, in social gatherings, your perception is always on line, and its important to be aware of that.

as to bb's post above, i think that is a good point, it is important to know how to dress down and look as good you do when dressed up. though i am not entirely sure it is aimed at the point we were discussing until now.

i am a little bit OCD. ok, a lot bit, and even with a proper fitting shirt, i dont like the feel of a tie all the way up with top button buttoned. now, undo that button and loosed that tie just a lil teeeny bit, and i could wear it indefinitely and not even notice.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Haha, fair enough. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I honestly don't feel it at all. I sometimes even forget that I'm wearing one, which can be a little dangerous when eating, as my ties have been closer to dipping into bowls of soup than I deem comfortable many a time.

2 people like this.
  10. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

BB, perhaps you are responding to a bias I've never noticed. I've never gotten the impression that people here feel that dressing well necessitates a tie and jacket. It may just be that most (myself included) only feel inclined to post fits in that context and hence don't frequent MC Casual. I just don't care enough to worry beyond basic color coordination and basic fit to bother; it isn't as fun (at least for me) to concern myself with the minutia of dressing very well in a casual context as it is in that of a jacket and tie.

Or perhaps you are right, in which case people are silly (and I have a selective memory).

Regardless, as you pointed out, wearing a tie everyday would have adverse effects on you, so it does behoove you to make the effort to go jump from from dressing well casually to dressing very well casually. And even if it didn't, there's still no real reason not to dress well casually.

Moving back to the movies, the real "issue" is whether or not one actually puts on a tie to go to a movie, which would seem very, very anachronistic. At the same time, if I put a tie on at the start of the day, I'm not going to take it off--or bother with a wardrobe change in any way--just because I'm going to the movies or McDonalds.

3 people like this.
  11. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

The jacket looks too short and you should button your shirt and tighten the tie if you're going to post pics. Looks pretty sloppy.

12. Caustic Man

Enough talk, more clothes! Heheh, j/k. Anyway, here is my version of Fall Casual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Yeah, it really does boil down to your lifestyle and your surroundings. I will say, however, I've have been acutely aware of people here that really do seem lost outside of the "rules" of dressing up. It's been noticeable since I first started lurking and is best seen in the outright refusal of SW&D by most of MC ("Dress like a grown-up" and all that). However, I'll be the first to admit that realizing style is deeper than coat and tie was a painful evolution for me, and I realize there is a bit of a curve there. However, I think honing one's casual style is just as important a process and evolution as learning how to dress up. YMMV.

Per your last point, I certainly agree and said in my first (or second) post on the subject I get if you're coming from the office, or even if you're coming from a nice dinner. It's like people that say you need to change into a white shirt come 6pm: they're idiots.

1 person likes this.
  14. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

I don't see anything at all wrong with wearing a tie to a movie if that's what you feel like wearing at that time. A lot of guys really like the ties they have and this is their main hobby so why not wear it in your free time as well as at work. We enjoy wearing our clothes! [​IMG]

Don'y worry about other people's negativity. [​IMG]

Ties do feel tight around my neck at first but when I want to wear one I get past that. I especially like wearing bowties now and then. I may start wearing one to work since the weather's starting to cool now. [​IMG]

Maybe I do have to nail down the perfect size of shirt collar to wear a tie comfortably right off the bat. We'll see...

Nice fit today. Crusty! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Monkeyface

Does it matter what another man is wearing though? Who cares if someone enjoys wearing a tie to the movies? I've always been a fan of the philosophy that everyone should wear what they feel like wearing, whether that be a jacket and tie or a t shirt and shorts, as long as it's clean and doesn't have holes in inappropriate places (such as Derek's chaps).

16. Caustic Man

This is really a self correcting problem IMO. Wear what you want. If you are the type of person who wants to dress to your surroundings, and the patterns of your peers, then eventually you will. If you don't give a damn, and just wear what you feel comfortable in, then you will. My point is this, I've seen guys stumble into fine dining restaurants wearing t shirts. They didn't give a damn, they were wearing what they felt comfortable in. Why should it matter that I stumble into a McDonalds wearing a tie? I just want a cheeseburger, and I'm wearing what I'm comfortable in.

1 person likes this.
  17. Monkeyface

Couldn't have said it any better!

18. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

The "holes" in Derek's chaps are an example of "form follows function" - they uncover that which needs to be uncovered for purposes of . . . human biology, perhaps?

3 people like this.
  19. Caustic Man

Leave it to crust to class up the joint. [​IMG]

20. Monkeyface

I have no doubts that even chaps have their place in menswear. However, one cannot help but wonder, why not just go pantsless altogether, which coincidentally happens to be another one of Derek's favorites
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.