1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianGP

ianGP Well-Known Member

Tenks, mang!

1 person likes this.
  2. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Fair enough but I'm not sure i was seriously suggesting or expecting a major overhaul of the status quo in my post, I was more venting at stuff which has mildly bugged me for some time now, and rather than just moaning, throwing out a possible solution with some irony and little expectation it would be adopted.

I agree that variations in the pics thread have been attempted - the CBD and the Good Taste threads as examples (although I'm not even sure I took the time to learn the difference between the two!) and as you say they eventually seem to fade out.

I do stand by my contention that there are generally two types of regular posters - the Look-At-Me group and the Guide Me group, and the friction arises when someone inadvertently conflates the two!

Anyway I made my point and don't want to jack the thread any more for now. Normal service resumed!

3. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

This is the PS and on the suit you can see more from the outer orange part:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. PandArts

PandArts Well-Known Member

Ah that's looks much better...I guess the colour was a bit blown out in your photo making it look for burgundy and less burnt orange.

5. OTM

OTM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Greetings from sunny Oslo!

6. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

dude, theres people that have been here YEARS that still havent gotten a top notch fit.

however, ill also add that a true "top notch" fit takes a hell of a lot longer than a few months. Theres far too much to learn what really fits you. Drape, button stance, pitch, rise, etc...what works for some doesnt work for all. The only way someone is gonna be able to post a "top notch" fit in the first few months is by shelling out enough money to go bespoke and pay for someone else who understands proper fit to do it for them. Id even go as far as saying a truly "top notch" fit is near impossible with OTR. Unless of course your "top notch" is just another way of saying a decent fit....in that case...disregard my rant. But, I think that may be the problem nowadays on the forum. While theres some great stuff at times...theres very few if any fits that are 100%.

3 people like this.
  7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Sorry for the typos, typing on my phone while walking home from work. I think you ended up somewhere great, but it's too bad you don't wear suits anymore though. Why don't you try wearing a casual suit on a Saturday or Sunday some time, for a nice brunch or dinner?

I gave the example of me being a student as I had to live off about 300 euros a month, which isn't much. But yes, clothes are irrelevant compared to raising a family, which is a very big responsibility, and I respect you for that.

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

waitwat?

pretty solid assessment id say.

9. PandArts

Oh I never judge a comment based on typos unless they're so bad I can't make heads or tails of it :)
    I think you make some valid points and I appreciate your honesty.

Also thank you for your assessment of where I've ended up and yes it is a shame that I don't have more opportunities to wear suits, formally or casually but if one arises and I have the moment's foresight to snap a pic I'll certainly post it here :)

I think that it's awesome that you managed to stretch such a small stipend to include bettering your wardrobe and as my salary increased I did tuck a few bucks away here and there to build my own.

Thanks, being a family man is my biggest success to date right before buying that linen suit two years ago :lol:

2 people like this.
  10. Monkeyface

Unless certain RTW suits fit you perfectly. I've been to a lot of tailors on savile row wearing a suitsupply suit, asking them what they would improve. The only thing most of them suggested is slightly wider lapels and trousers, but by less than half an inch or so. I can live with that. That's why I've decide not to go for MTM or bespoke, it's simply not worth the money at the moment. Perhaps later on, when my body changes, or when I earn so much money that I don't care. Whichever comes first [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  11. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have problems with the seat of their linen trousers stretching after a days wear? And the knees, as well? I understand the wrinkles, it adds good character. But the stretching is hard to deal with.

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

The knees on my linen trousers bag somewhat, even though they are rather full - but I don't see it as a problem. When it is enough to bother me, it usually goes away with a good pressing. I don't expect perfect drape on my linens anyways...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  13. PandArts

I'm wondering if that might have something to do with whether or not the suit is lined. For example, my linen suit is lined and I don't have those issues...as far as I know :)

14. Monkeyface

I only have wool/linen trousers, but yes, the knees stretch slightly. I haven't had a problem with the seat so far though. I think it's part of the charm, don't wear linen if you can't appreciate a wrinkle here and there.

15. in stitches

x-post

in honor of the friday challenge i went ahead and made a fit gif. its my first attempt at that, and i am reasonably pleased with the result.

boring stills also included.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. Monkeyface

Love the gif, hate the hat. It's way too hipster for you. I think a nice classic panama hat would suit you much better. Grey and tan is a combination that works much better the other way around. I would've preferred slightly lighter than navy trousers here. Anyway, this is by no means a bad fit, just nitpicking, but that's what we do around here, right?

17. PandArts

Thanks I do try to be and I plan on sticking around for a while at any rate and I'll do my best to try that once in while but when you work in an environment where the norm is jeans a t-shirts a guy wearing a suit just seems way too out of place :confused:

I dig the hat. I have a similar raffia one by Scala but I don't think the crow is quite as tall.

18. Monkeyface

I understand the sentiment for a professional setting, but surely you could wear whatever you like when you're not working?

19. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

i wasnt speaking specifically about your fits at all. but ill some thoughts to points i think yorue missing. about suitsupply...i love em..fit great. glad to hear the tailors wouldnt change much. but youre missing the point i made earlier...theyre off the rack, and EVERYONE is shaped different. I bet the saville row tailors would change a lot on a SS jacket if they saw don cologne in a copenhagen fit. so, in a nutshell, sure you can look great in OTR, i doubt ill ever go bespoke. But by saying you can learn all you need to know to post a perfect fit in less than a year....just proves that you have a long way to go. no hate, i love your fits...but thats a fact nobody can argue with.:foo:

1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

#yay4giflove

hat was for the challenge lol, but i dig it. i think a panama would be off for the fit. also, i dont have one. :p

i am not teh fran of nitpicking, but yes, it is what is done around here.

thanks, P! :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.