1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

I think this works better with a shirt with more contrast to the suit. I have a similar suit and wear it most times with a light pink shirt.
    The bow tie and the PS are too matchy for me.

2. FillW

FillW Well-Known Member

C'mon, Stitch. Let us hear it!

(BTW- what would your rant be about anyway? I'm confused here.) [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

I like the fabric, but the suit could fit better. It seems too large all over.

4. An Acute Style

I like the fit, but you're tying your shoes wrong.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Posted yesterday, but victim of the great ImageShack ATTENTION : We are experiencing technical difficulties which may not allow your images to be seen incident of 1:34 PM EST, July 31, 2013. Anyways, here it is again:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

Here's what I wore today:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

SBV, since you are getting shirts made for you, might want to consider a higher collar.

Gnatty, I miss your motorcycles.

1 person likes this.
  8. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

then you better get used to critiques that point out the flaws. If youre truly here to learn, then the MOST important lesson you can take away from SF is to stop doing this immediately.

5 people like this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The thing is, and stitches would probably say this in a rant, is that people who buy things just because they get a deal end up looking bad because they probably wouldn't have spent the money on something that is sub par if it was full price. People that do this end up with huge wardrobes of bad shit and probably in the long run spend the same amount of money as if they had a more curated, better quality, better styled wardrobe.

When you see something on sale and are walking to the cashier with it, stop and ask yourself, "Would I be buying this if it was full price and had the money?" If the answer is, "no" put it down and walk away.

12 people like this.
  10. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

+1

11. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

BUT ITS KITON!!!!! who cares how it fits or looks?!

seriously....I did this pre-SF when the saks outlet opened near me and i was about 19-20. thousands of dollars spent on garbage.

1 person likes this.
  12. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

I cannot argue with either of your observations, though I consciously chose today's PS knowing that it was very close in color to the bow tie.

This suit may see its last season with me this summer. The jacket chest does fit properly, but the shoulder padding is enormous. When I was heavier, this mattered less, but after having the sides of the suit taken in, the proportions are now starkly off. Tomorrow, I plan to wear a BB Fitzgerald seersucker, which is much better proportioned.

13. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

don - i think those pants are more casual than you think.

HF and crusty - very nice.

wait, was there just a critique about tying your shoes. WTF?

kind of my thoughts. i will type them pout today because im in a pissy mood anyways.

2 people like this.
  14. An Acute Style

This is a huge generalization. Most people, I hope, don't buy things just because they got a deal. I'm not going to by a 42R Kiton jacket because it's on sale. I would never pay full price for a Kiton jacket. And I do mean never. I feel my money is better spent elsewhere. Also, I would never pay full price for a BB OCBD. They go on sale at least twice a year. I'd rather just wait. I'm a very patient person. Using your strategy, I would never buy anything.

15. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

referring back to the fit that started this discussion....the vest doesnt look right. you said you got it on sale? you shouldnt have bought it. be cheap and buy stuff that fits correctly...dont waste money on something ill fitting because its on sale. Your fit wouldve looked exponentially better without the vest.

2 people like this.
  16. patrickBOOTH

Sometimes, I think you might look better naked.

2 people like this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

I wouldn't buy a BB OCBD for full price either. I also wouldn't buy five of them on sale. I would however buy 2 Mercer & Sons OCBD's full price. It isn't just about sales vs. full price. It is about selection and curation.

1 person likes this.
  18. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

ok, you all asked for it, and here goes, and this is the toned down version. i feel like some of the old timers that i used to hate hearing them say this, but i think i finally get it.

SF has a groupthink to a degree, and there are no more assh@les to snark the f*ck out of some of these ridiculous fits, and on the rare occasion someone provides critique, the received tends to get all butthurt, OH BUT I LIKE MY LOOK!!! WAH WAH WAH... someone call the f%cking wahmbulance already.

i mean, seriously, is it so hard to look at the forum and see what is considered good and realize you aint it, and if you want to be it, you need to make serious changes. i get that anyone who gives a crap about how they look is usually the best dressed dude in their IRL group of friends, i know i was. and when i posted my first few fits i was like f^ck yeah, look at me, im hot sh#t!! BALLER!! but after like a day of getting feedback on all the myriad issues i had, and looking at what other people were posting, i was like, wow, i suck. so i spent the next year on fixing things and literally changed my entire wardrobe and im still on the outside getting in. open your freaking eyes people, and realize that just because you are happy with your clothing does not mean its great.

one more thing, dont give me your sob story that you only like to spend under X bucks per items. then you are in the wrong damn place. im not rich by any means, but on SF, you have to pay to play, to a degree. every time you buy something on the cheap and knowingly sacrifice something, whether its the fit, or outdated details...., you are going to look off, or even flat out bad. if you are deciding that you wont pony up, you will most likely end up with mediocre to poor results.

now, it can be done. big O is a mad thrifter, but he does it carefully, and i think he is the only one i can think of that manages not to make sacrifices for silly deals and sales, and finds stuff that consistently looks good. but its no easy ask, and you have to be fastidious with what you choose, but the odds for success are stacked against you.

chin up, accept you have a lot to learn, and get with the program. and if you cant stomach that, go to plebeforum or something.

14 people like this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

20. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Bad day at the office, Stitchy?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.