1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pliny. I like the Chelseas - Edwardian? Your tie and jacket seem to resolve too closely in pattern in the photo, but closer up I like them.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of your critique of this fit, and I would never say that they are 'necessary' but tie bars and pins have a long history and are no more affected than pocket squares or boutonnieres, and certainly less affected than collar pins, bracelets, and many other #menswear accessories. I generally think they work better with narrower and knit ties in particular, but that's just my personal preference, as is my love of mid-century silver in this area.

3. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

^^^ Nice shirt, tie, Jacket combo Pliny![/quo
    Thanks!

4. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

They do indeed have a history of function in traditional menswear and serve more purpose than most of the accessories you stated above.

While pocket squares have uses (in theory), they are no more necessary than bracelets and to a certain extend, neckties.

Tie bars do serve a purpose in that they prevent the tie from swinging freely. One could wear it, but to me, I find it difficult to see it "working" well with an outfit unless paired with simple color tones. Unlike the necktie or square, where it's easy to wear in order to compliment an outfit, the tie bar sticks out as it's far more noticeable due to it's reflective texture.

I'm not saying don't wear it or that it has no purpose, but rather that it looks, more often than not, out of place and attracts unnecessary attention to the viewer.

5. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

I like this tie.
    Nice suit!

1 person likes this.
  6. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

The tie bar's at a higher level of affectation than the square IMO
    not a fan of jewellrry on men, no offence to anyone, I know a lot like it. And a square is just exponenentially hsrder to get rite. I like that challenge

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Depends entirely on how you wear it. It works best when worn lower, slanted, and with a knit tie, like this:
    [​IMG]

8. FlyingMonkey

I agree on the knit tie thing (as above). However, I really don't know where this SF convention of slanting tie-bars came from. I suspect it is simply a reaction against the GQ promotion of tie bars worn straight, even though this is more traditionally 'correct' and tie bars are actually designed to be worn this way in most cases. A slight angle gives a hint of studied carelessness, but if you do it as much as you are in this picture, then I think you start to move into trying a little too hard territory. But then this is all simply a matter of individual preference.

9. conradwu

conradwu Well-Known Member

No idea. I just don't like excessive blingz. As long as one doesn't wear it with a 3 piece, everything is fair game.

10. Monkeyface

Nope, I slant it because more of the bar gets hidden that way, while still keeping it at the right height. It makes it a little more subtle. Also, when you put it straight it looks like you've stood in front of the mirror and tried to get a perfectly straight angle. Moreover, the angle of the bar works better with the angle of the lapels this way.

11. FlyingMonkey

So you don't like the idea that you've spent time trying to get it straight, but you don't mind looking like you've spent time lining it up with your lapels? As I said, it's clearly personal taste, whatever justifications we may come up with... [​IMG]

12. FlyingMonkey

Quite. Although a tie-pin can be worn with a waistcoat, but they're really not very common these days. Of course a tie-pin is essential for certain styles of cravat or ascot but they are even less common.

13. Monkeyface

Haha, I understand how it may look. It's more of a coincidental benefit. I discovered it when I put my tie bar on one morning, but it wasn't quite straight. I liked the look of it, and have been wearing it like that ever since.

14. mothon

mothon Well-Known Member

From dinner with my lady this evening.

Should I be using starch on my shirts when going tie less? How do I get my collars to stand higher and the shirt not to fold.

Also my hips appear to be very wide in these pictures. I think it is from a combination of the short SC and the fuller cut in the thighs of my pants. I also need to learn how to wear a pocket square I always feel like it looks sloppy when I wear one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

I think the problem is definitely in the jacket, not the trousers. The jacket, while sitting well on your chest and shoulders, is simply too short for you - in the sleeves, button stance, and in its overall length. This is what's making your hips look wide. The eye is drawn down to the base of the jacket, where BOOM - presenting: Hips!

Apparently all comments about family are off-limits, otherwise I would be paying you a very big compliment regarding your lady.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  16. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

Get this Oxxford clothes fresco sports coat today from the USA. Fit is very good. As you see there is a little bit work for my tailor with the seams of the pockets.
    Color of the tie is not that bright. The colors are very realistic on the detail foto with shirt, tie, watch and sports coat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

13 people like this.
  18. twistoffat

twistoffat Well-Known Member

Don its often difficult for a big man to dress well, but I find your efforts to be good. I like this outfit. Is it just me or do those side pockets look very big?

1 person likes this.
  19. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Damn, I was going to wear a very similar cream linen suit - now I'll have to be extra imaginative, maybe with some outside pics [​IMG]

Nice ensemble.

1 person likes this.
  20. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

As it is now August, pincord is in prime season, and as it is predicted to rain later today, rumpled pincord, in need of the ministrations of a dry cleaner, is a perfect choice for the day.

Suit - Haspel
    Shirt - Allen Solly
    Tie - no brand name - picked up at a local discounter for under $10
    PS - Alain Figaret
    Shoes - BB Peals

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.