1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Well-Known Member

Thanks Derek. That suits fits you very well. I have a similar green suit from Barney's in cotton that I'll probably wear this week. My wife is a pretty woman but she's no Olivia either. No shame there. As my wife would say, "you're not exactly Denzel Washington brother"...LOL. Love that woman of mine!

SCBrown, I know a lot of guys on here post fits with all manner of patterned and sometimes loud/contrasting socks. I've never been so inclined. This strikes me as gimmicky or a desperate attempt at being "fashionable". Like some of the foolishness seen in GQ from time to time. It's very hard to pull off well and rarely worth the effort. A pair of dark brown socks and you would have been good to go.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

This x1000. I have a bunch of crazy patterned socks I no longer wear. I have some dark green/black, dark brown/black houndstooth socks but I believe those are good taste and not too eye catching. Contrast ribs are good too. I have blue socks like that but they're thinner, worn with loafers on casual days. I stick to darker socks on business days unless there's a certain calling for lighter colors like this blue, which happens.

But the crazy orange/red/black/brown/purple/green/etc striped socks are just nonsense in my book.

3. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

HAHAHA!!! Im always about 50/50 on the suit...i feel it looks odd on me...but every time i see someone in a green suit i love it on em.

4. Scbrown

Scbrown Well-Known Member

@Ebony and Mrjester

Sound advice I guess since I'm a college student who wears suits everywhere the socks are a fun way to identify that I'm not taking myself that seriously, but +1 for the advice

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

My girls are getting a little better at holding the iphone steady. Enough to show that I need to pull up my pants. Shirt is a light pink. Cheers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. Sprezziamo

Sprezziamo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First try with Prince Albert knot.

2 people like this.
  7. CousinDonuts

I'd put the crazy socks in the love-it-or-hate-it category, along with PS's (for some), wrist bands, suspenders, lapel pins, and hats. I like some color on my ankles from time to time, but I stick to standard colors if I have an important client meeting. All about environment, IMO.

8. CousinDonuts

1 person likes this.
  9. Ebonyman

Hey Donuts, I'm not saying it's impossible to do tastefully but it ain't easy and judging from the MANY failed attempts on the pages of this thread, many would benefit from not even trying. I've seen way too many nice fits ruined by the poster's choice of "fashion" socks.

PS's are a safer choice for flashing a bit of color as more times than not, the ps will incorporate a color from the tie, shirt or suit.

10. mrjester

Here's my take:
    Good Taste (Some of my newer socks):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bad Taste (Some of my older socks):
    [​IMG]

I still like my bad taste socks and wear them but quite sparingly. Small patterns work much better.

3 people like this.
  11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Perfectly decent tie; looks fine in situ. Nothing wrong with a yellow tie in my book, if it's the right yellow tie..

12. CousinDonuts

I hear ya, but it's still all relative..."failed" and "ruined" are in the eye of the beholder.

13. Ebonyman

Jester, your "good taste" example is exactly what I'm talking about. Hard to take any issue with the choice of sock in that fit. They are complimentary without drawing attention to themselves and that's really all socks need to be. Now just to be clear, I'm only addressing socks worn with business attire. Casual fits are a different story. For casual fits, whatever floats your boat in my book.

14. mrjester

[​IMG][​IMG]

I think good taste is objective, at least for the most part. There are people that are wrong and people that are right. There's a grey area that some people may not like as much as others, but really.. if I wore pink socks with the first fit, it's bad and always will be. If I wore argyles with it, it would be bad and always will be. If I wore hounds tooth with it, it's bad and always will be (due to the slacks being hounds tooth as well) but some people would say it's OK and I believe it's not a matter of opinion, it's flat-out wrong. If I wore them with any horizontal striped socks, it's bad taste and always will be. Some people do that and, as long as they know it's not good taste, it's better (but still gross in my book). Same with pocket squares. I can't always point it out but some times I'll look at a combo and think, "Shit that's kind of gross," and it's followed by a barrage of people commenting on why it looks bad, then the original poster agreeing. Maybe some people just need to be shown what bad taste is. Not always easy to see when you're the one doing it. Like the first time buying an OTR jacket you thought looked great until you showed it to SF. Then cried and returned it.

This may be the reason why, though I don't like how he presents his cases, I agree with nearly everything [​IMG] has said. He once stated he believed men's classic to be objective and I agreed.

15. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

From what I can see this is decent to good; but your pants could be shorter and/or narrower, no?
    Absolutely.
    +1.
    +1. If "anything goes", there is not much sense in discussing anything style-related.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Saturday @ Leffot.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

After the weekend with 38°C I enjoy the flanell suit and the 20°C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Ebonyman

Mr. Booth, thank you for another fine example of how it's done!

DC, one your better fits. Your hair just gets taller and taller...LOL

1 person likes this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

20. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

what time were you there? i was also in on saturday.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.