1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I guess it's just personal preference, Monkeyface. It seems like a bit too much, and the rounded collar seems odd with the sharp peak lapels.

HC, do you object to pins, period, or to that pin, which is a bad example of the breed?

2. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

If I may guess, Butler's cuffs on his trousers are at least 3 or 4 inches. For some reason, it'd would look silly on anyone else to my eye; but not for Butler.

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

clags - superb fit.

clap - great pents, awesome gif.

PSG - there a sword outside my office at word. should i be incorporating it into my fits?

4. Butler

Butler Well-Known Member

2 1/2 inch (6 cm)
    :bigstar:

5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Not really but they are really really hard to pull of convincingly, and they should be a proper collar pin not a safety pin type fastener. I also think they don't really work just by putting a pin through a point collar shirt, reason being that most point collar shirts don't have the tie space required for it not to look all squashed up. Sorry! But I hope that was constructive.

If I can elaborate now I've got a bit more time. The trousers aren't the problem, the problem is you've got the sartorial equivalent of a mullet going on. Business up top, party down below and it doesn't gel. The top with blazer, CBD tie and blue button down really just needs grey trousers or something. Orange trousers could work with say loafers (minus the fun socks), a linen/cotton navy blazer and a linen shirt, couple of buttons un-buttoned.

6. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

18 people like this.
  8. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

That's just fucking terrible, you magnificent bastard.

9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with breaking the rules. I wore orange trousers for gosh sake. I just personally don't think that kind of rule breakage looks good. There is a rule that says it is inappropriate to drink before noon. That rule is obviously made to be broken. There is also a rule that says you should drive drunk. That one should never be broken. See what I mean? Ok, so the sleeves on a suit are supposed to approximate the angle that your arm naturally sits at when at rest. If the angle is off you get bunching in the front or back of the sleeve, like you see in your pics (the back in your case). The sleeve can be removed and reattached at the proper angle if need be. Might not be worth it on a cheaper suit, but it's just an element of fit to consider.

So here's the thing about the windsor knot. It's really not that bad when you use a HALF windsor. The full or *sigh* double windsor is VERY hard to pull off. I'm not going to say it can't be done, but I've never seen it. You seem to be a thinner guy and that big knot isn't proportional for you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

So here we run into the "Blazer as business attire" concept. I have stated several times that I would never wear a blazer to conduct business because I consider it to be far too casual. I caveat that with the fact that I know a lot of people disagree with me, but I think those people are wrong. I'm not saying the concept is stupid, I just happen to disagree with it. On the other hand I wore orange trousers, so no one should listen to me lol. I take full responsibility for the tie, though, since I had nothing in a more casual material in a color that I thought went well with everything. And I wanted to wear a tie, dammit. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  11. Demean

Demean Well-Known Member

Impromptu Internship.

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  12. in stitches

That is probably not how I would have phrased it, but yeah, it's a great fit.

:)

13. Claghorn

Given that Sander isn't American (and English not his native language), perhaps I could have used a little less nuance.

14. in stitches

15. Sprezziamo

Sprezziamo Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you CM. Also, in order to break the rules, you have to know them first, and that's why I joined SF a few days ago, and why I am reading Alan Flusser's book. (Until now I based my choices on examples, such as my dad, famous pictures of style icons, people I see in the street, etc. Which I think works fine, but doesn't really teach you what is right and what is wrong in terms of rules.)

I believe that rules do exist as a 'help', i.e. if you follow them you are very likely (99%) to end up looking well (or at least decent), while breaking one (or more) of them you have a very high chance of failure. So I guess it makes sense to break a sartorial rule only if 1. for some reason you really like how you look breaking that rule and 2. you believe it will be perceived well by other people. So while (1) is a 10 second process that happens in front of the mirror, (2) can only be achieved through a forum like SF. (I realized that in real life everybody likes to make a compliment and nobody likes to criticize, therefore you'll end up receiving a lot of compliments, which are pleasant but useless, and no constructive criticisms.)

Anyway, I tried a 4IH this morning and I still don't like how it looks with the italian collar on a formal look. I'll keep on using it for informal occasions, but I guess I'll have to find an alternative for business occasions. What would you suggest between half windsor and double 4IH (which I honestly never tried in my life)?

16. coxaca

coxaca Well-Known Member

Quote: Lots of negs on this fit - tie, belt, cuffs, even crotch'n'butt.

Fuck all that. The outfit rocks. I have only two observations to make:

1. Nobody picked up on the exceedingly excellent collar rise; and

2. This man looks way too stern. Botox, applied judiciously and with expertise, would require a smaller outlay than any individual component of this fit.

17. Claghorn

Butler, don't get botox.

3 people like this.
  18. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

That's a big honkin pin. A normal sized one is enough of a statement. (It's almost always a statement not worth making but I'm starting with the assumption that you really want to pin your collar.) And if you're going to do it, I'd make sure everything else is on point. Not crazy about that tie and like it less with that square.
    There's some subjectivity about how tight - easy / drapey a jacket should ideally be but this is, by any reasonable standard, too tight. The lapels shouldn't bow like that. You need more room in either the chest or waist.

19. in stitches

agreed. that was a pretty odd comment if i may say so myself.

1 person likes this.
  20. Butler

Butler Well-Known Member

Glad you at least liked the detachable collar since I design all my collars myself :)

Sorry about the wrinkles - I 'll be 65 in November :cheers:
    :bigstar:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.