• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did not get a fit pic in today because of the weather in NYC, however I can personally test that crusty was in excellent taste.

shoe cerkle?

Last edited:

roomiller

Reaction score
The spoo talk right now brings up one of the questions ive been having since starting to experiment with the fih knot. Im noticing a lot more of the collar band is visible and the thin part of the tie that wraps around the neck shows a great amount. This looks sort of off to me, but is it normal? Do I just suck at tying this knot?

No fit pics for today, but I have an interview for a promotion on thursday, so tomorrow ill have some outfits for you guys to critique. And Im gonna need to get it because you guys are making me go poor with all these new clothes ive decided I must have after hanging around this thread!

Last edited:

Jhors2

Reaction score

The spoo talk right now bring up one of the questions id been having since starting to experiment with the fih knot. Im noticing a lot more of the collar band is visible and the thin part of the tie that wraps around the neck shows a great amount and looks sort of off to me?

No fit pics for today, but I have an interview for a promotion on thursday, so tomorrow ill have some outfits for you guys to critique. And Im gonna need to get it because you guys are making me go poor with all these new clothes ive decided I must have after hanging around this thread!

I'm not sure if there is a hard and fast rule about this. I think you notice the band the most on Finamore, Barba, Borrelli, and other higher end shirt manufacturers. I personally like it, although for pure business professional wear you are better going with a pointed classic collar which makes it practically difficult to have this effect.

roomiller

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a hard and fast rule about this. I think you notice the band the most on Finamore, Barba, Borrelli, and other higher end shirt manufacturers. I personally like it, although for pure business professional wear you are better going with a pointed classic collar which makes it practically difficult to have this effect.
Damn you caught me before I edited my post into something resembling proper english. Im not wearing high ends shirts but the smaller size of the knot still shows a good deal of band. I think it might just be the change thats throwing me off, and not that it actually looks bad. At school, every moron in a pre-packaged shirt/tie combo used a fih knot so I just have some residual prejudice towards it.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Clapy made a comment on my spread collared shirts about two months ago, suggesting that I make the collar higher. I got three made and am really happy with the results. I had an extra 1.5cm put on, which of course meant that they had to lengthen the collar (wings? what are they called?)

Anyway, in hopes of adding to the discussion:

(I know the shirt definitely doesn't work with anything else here. Too formal. Managing levels of formality is something I struggle with because of wardrobe limitations; most of what I own is pre-SF...I only started buying less formal shirts after sugarbutch took me to school.)

My head is a bit big for my body, so I think the slightly bigger collars are more flattering than the smaller ones. The actual increase was minute, but there's a difference.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After walking the most of manhattan on a dreary day making the streets full of goo, my shoes were in no condition for a cerkle. Crusty's looked good though.

:(

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were not the decos. I had three pairs of shoes with me, and these were the least of them.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They were not the decos. I had three pairs of shoes with me, and these were the least of them.

Last edited:

Albert Hal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albert Hal

Shirt with "Acetonized" collar 1940´s.
Interesting. So, what does that mean? Does it look/feel different?

"Acetoniserad krage" means a permanent starched collar. You just need to iron it when it´s wet The design of the shirt and collar leads me to date the shirt to the 1940´s

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

"Acetoniserad krage" means a permanent starched collar. You just need to iron it when it´s wet The design of the shirt and collar leads me to date the shirt to the 1940´s

Yes, they are from the 40's. I bought a bunch of these shirts from a dead stock and sold them in no time at all. Sweden's got some dedicated vintage shoppers.

Albert Hal

Reaction score
Yes, they are from the 40's. I bought a bunch of these shirts from a dead stock and sold them in no time at all. Sweden's got some dedicated vintage shoppers.
Do you have any of these shirts left to sell?

Johnboy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Clapy made a comment on my spread collared shirts about two months ago, suggesting that I make the collar higher. I got three made and am really happy with the results. I had an extra 1.5cm put on, which of course meant that they had to lengthen the collar (wings? what are they called?)
I think you could add another 10mm to the height of the collar band, it looks fairly low to me when compared to the blade length. If there was slightly less spread, it would also give a better sense of height.

IMO E&OE

Albert Hal

Reaction score

Todays vintage: A suit from PUB in Stockholm, approx 1940. An other shirt fråm the 40´s with "Acetoniserad" collar. (See above) and a bow tie in Rhodia silk, probably a little less vitage, from the 60 - 70´s I think.
Today I shall visit a company in the note book business called Whitelines. What is more appropriate than chalk stripes?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And just when you thought the collar discussion was done ...
Thanks for your perfect timing Spoo. I've complimented your pics several times in the past so you know I'm not trying to pile on here , but I've always thought that your vertically striped shirts with a really thick collar band of horizontal stripes, as shown in today's pic, looks off to me. I dunno if you deliberately request or choose that, or if it's your signature look, or if it's just a consequence of your preference for taller collars, but I only notice it on your aggressively striped shirts and it always seems to spoil the congruence of your collar shape/spread/tie knot combo. All IMO of course!

Are you saying that something it would be better if the stripes were vertical or angled? Or that the collar band should be lower?

Low collar bands on someone with an average or long neck look sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads