1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

and navy blazers.

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Not sure whether a linen tie is CBD, but the weather called for it. Btw, IanGP, glad you're back, you used to be my favorite poster!
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Definitely CBD. Depends on the styling. I'm wearing one right now. Love them. Teh Vanda is where it's at.

1 person likes this.
  4. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Loafers are awesome. They're just to bring a more casual vibe. That said, I have too many and need some chukka in my life.

If I'm going out with a few folks, having a few drinks and relaxing, I don't want shoes. The irritation of tying then untying shoes every time I go in/out of my house or someones house is silenced by a good pair of loafers. Or four, in my case. (Did I say I have too many?) Weekends are damn near strictly loafers for me. Weekdays are lace-ups.

5. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

gospel. love vandas ish.

6. Monkeyface

Norwegian split toes are terrible. Not aesthetically pleasing at all, way too bulky. I'd wear crocs before I'd wear those. Loafers are great for casual summer fits, but I'm sure you'd be wearing black oxfords while having a picnic in the park.

A vanda tie is on the to buy list. I love their shantungs!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. patrickBOOTH

Like I said. Lazy. Also, chukkas are next on my list of ugly, purposeless footwear.

8. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

Mimo,

Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions. I will look into some of the things you mentioned. I feel very strange dropping $300+ on a pair of shoes for myself. Monks, chukkas and dress suedes are all on my radar. I'm looking at Meermin right now, but even $200 feels crazy. I'm so cheap sometimes.

9. mrjester

I guess you can call it that. I'll stick to calling your captoes larvae and we can call it even.

1 person likes this.
  10. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

tooday

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. Monkeyface

Nothing wrong with captoes, they have their place, but so do loafers. They're at opposites ends of the spectrum. Just because you like a certain style of shoes doesn't mean that all other shoes are ugly (except for split toes!) [​IMG]

12. mrjester

Captoes are lovely. His uncastrated ones are not.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/achi...9-42233-00001CD446A136B1_zpsf0728682.jpg.html

But pB is way too high up to ever be told those are ugly.

13. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

I used to hate loafers, but I've recently started to appreciate them, specially for summer. On a nice last, unlined suede tassel loafers look great with a pair of linen trousers.

BTW, one of the great things about Vox (he is missed) is that he appreciated pretty much every style of every item of clothing, provided it's not fugly and it's worn in the right moment at the right place. This forum needs more of that.

9 people like this.
  14. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Word.

This. If you live in a culture where shoes are removed often throughout the day, it really does make a difference. However, loafers are not the only option. I'd like more, but for business dress I am dreaming of a "lazyman" (yeah, yeah PB). But there is room for common ground: a single monk with a hidden elastic under the strap is my win-win.

You're welcome. Actually I'd leave Meermin, personally: I like what they do and they're certainly cheap, but their service and quality control seems to be in complete disarray. In the same price bracket, frankly, you can find a pretty wide selection of both Indian-made and English-made shoes, in classic styles and of decent quality. Try Herring or Pediwear, both of whom have sales/offers on right now, and are great with customers. I like my $150 Indian Loake suede brogues as much as others twice the price. TTO seems to swear by them. Pediwear are doing a special Loake offer. And at sale time, I've had some great deals from Herring before on various English shoes. It's luck of the draw as to what's on sale in your size so get measured up; both of those do wider or narrower fittings and you can search by size and width easily on their sites..

15. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

^^my meermins blow away my loakes...not even a question. I like my loakes...but they feel pretty cheap. the Meermins really surprised me. No question would i go for them over loake.

just my 2 centavos though. ;)

16. Monkeyface

Wow, why is the vamp so long of Pb's shoes? And why are they so incredibly wrinkled? Bad maintenance?

17. patrickBOOTH

18. mrjester

No, it's good wear on the wrinkles. But it's the god awful short captoe that gives it some kind of larvae-penis mix look.

If those shoes are pBs taste, I'm quite alright to ignoring any 'suggestions or critiques' he makes. Although he doesn't really make any, he just says everything sucks except what he has.

1 person likes this.
  19. mrjester

Nice. What models?

20. patrickBOOTH

I don't know why you say that. I demonstrate often how I like things I don't wear myself. I don't own suede bucks, Norwegian split toes, or wingtip derbies, which I suggested above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.