1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

You're a guy with an enviable ability to create strong combintions (and take good pictures) which makes your love of 'fun shirts' and pleated dad jeans even more puzzling. I don't think I know of any aesthetic criteria under which either look good.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Suit: Beckett & Robb

Shirt: Nordstrom (yes, sleeves are a tad long.)

Cufflinks: Vintage gold and varnished scarab beetle

Shoes: Bespoke Vass

Tie: Charles Tyrwhitt

Pocket square: ebay find

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    19 people like this.
  4. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

The pleated jeans, I can't defend. The fun shirts are actually fun. There's no aesthetic criteria under which they're elegant, and they may be unavoidably goofy, but that doesn't make them indefensible.

Also, I share AAS's love of bit loafers (though not to the same degree).

5. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

I appreciate the way you combine patterns, texture, and colors together. I think those are all spot on in this composition except the pocket square and socks. I think something in the blue or brown family would have worked better. The biggest issue I have with the outfit is the jacket. In particular, the balance of the jacket and the large v it creates. It seems to be a fairly large collar gap at your left collar. I think the lapels need to be rolled to the top button. I wouldn't recommend buttoning the top button, but I think this would make the lapels sit closer to your collar and eliminate the gap.

1 person likes this.
  6. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Hober, from the Macclesfield range.

Thanks In Stitches and Clapeyron. I should post pictures of the coat before it was altered. I'm still a little awestruck at how much can be altered once the coat is made up.

1 person likes this.
  7. An Acute Style

1 person likes this.
  8. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Nah, it's not just you.

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Certainly not. In fact, it's pretty much the first thing that the bespoke crowd will notice here, along with the question of whether the lapels are wide enough for Kai's build. There's already a bit of a discussion of this on the Beckett and Robb thread that Kai started.

10. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

HC - fantastic as usual. would love to see some some full fits from you.

kai - very nice.

it works on tandem with the swag-o-meter.

:fistbump:

i need that tie. will have to add to my hober wish list.

11. David Reeves

David Reeves Well-Known Member

That low button stance works well for you and I like the look as it's sharp and not fussy. I would have your guys check out your neck circle though it stands off the neck a touch. They may be able to just shrink it with pressing.

1 person likes this.
  12. choj

choj Member

How would you characterize Orgetorix's button stance? Looks real good and balanced to me.

1 person likes this.
  13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

I would love to post some but it won't happen in the near future I'm afraid. Between full time work in marketing, running the business (combined about 70 hrs per week) and with a 4 month old at home, I literally get about 5 mins a day to snap a few pics on my galaxy and post. I do have a dslr/tripod etc but yeah, time is my enemy.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I would characterize it as spot-on.

Kai: Very nice. I second the comments about the collar gap (not so great) and button stance (very flattering). I don't think the lapels are too narrow for your build, but I certainly wouldn't go any narrower. I think you could also stand to have a taller cuff on the trousers..

AAS: The nope meter measures how emphatically I say "nope" when I look at a picture.

DonCologne: The shirt doesn't quite peg my nope meter, but it's definitely into the red. That aside, the fit of the jacket is the main thing holding you back with this combination. It's hinging on the button, closing the quarters and bowing the lapels. The collar gap is severe. I also wonder if there is too much shoulder extension.

Spend some time dialing in the fit of your clothes, and I think you'll be surprised at the improvement. For guys like us who don't have model proportions, fit is paramount.

3 people like this.
  15. bernoulli

bernoulli Well-Known Member

Here is my fit for the day. Undecided about wearing a belt or not. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi guise- nice work Kai, Org and bernouilli and congrats on the loud tie challenge

Me channelling Fred- where is he BTW?

PRL
    Drakes
    Hober
    Vass

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    20 people like this.
  17. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Good assessment. It looks like all of the problems come from a short front balance. DonCologne, you need a jacket that has a longer forepart (longer from the top, not from the bottom). Is your stuff MTM by any chance? If so, you could mention that for future commissions.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. bernoulli

bernoulli Well-Known Member

Pliny, thanks for the thumbs-up! Back at you. [​IMG]

19. An Acute Style

Good morning, SF. I'm usually at work around 7:30. Graduation isn't until 10:00 so I thought I'd go ahead and get my daily pics out of the way because I have no idea what to do with myself. The high today is 91 so linen, linen and seersucker. I like the way this jacket fits when I don't move, but there is tightness in the upper bicep/shoulder area when I more around. The sleeves could be a tad longer too. Have a good day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  20. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Sleeves seem fine unless you feel your shirt sleeves are a bit short? Also, I assume your boxers are black watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.